Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #121
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kimio Tanaka has some more impressions of the K-1 mark 2 on his blog.

The first post is about the accelerator.
Original Japanese: Photo of the Day K-1 Mark II???????????????
English via Google: Google Translate

The next two are about Real Resolution
Original Japanese: Photo of the Day ?????????????? ?? ??1

Original Japanese: Photo of the Day ?????????????? ?? ???

I'm afraid they're not easy to understand, but he has had a K-1 mark 2 for a few months now, so he has had plenty of time to get familiar with it.

04-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #122
Pentaxian

i am not convinced at all that i should replace my K1 by a K1II. So far, there is nothing demonstrating that the K1II is worth the $500 cost of update. Unless someone can provide evidence of how K1II different from K1, I am going to spend a single Euro in this. It looks like the K1 I already have is just fine.
04-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some K1 II ISO range files including RAW here
04-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #124

Ok so for the Japanese market Real Resolution is short for Real Resolution system and Real Resolution system II which breaks down to Tripod Real Resolution with MC, Tripod Real Resolution with MC off, and Hand-held Real Resolution. On the English menus (I can't see about other languages), Real Resolution system is called Pixel Shift. Now we have Pixel Shift System II. Unfortunately Hand-Held Real Resolution mode is not technically using pixel shift but Ricoh was stuck with the Pixel Shift system name so they called it Dynamic pixel shift. They should have just renamed it to Real Resolution System (I & II universally) and taken care of the name change in the menus through firmware and software updates.

04-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
i am not convinced at all that i should replace my K1 by a K1II. So far, there is nothing demonstrating that the K1II is worth the $500 cost of update. Unless someone can provide evidence of how K1II different from K1, I am going to spend a single Euro in this. It looks like the K1 I already have is just fine.
Well, first of all we aren't seeing a lot of refined testing, so for my part I'm waiting to see. But so far there have been some tantalizing hints, and the latest test shots I've seen of iso 1600, 3200, and 6400 look great to me. Being able to use those iso's on a regular basis with that quality would be quite a boon to me and my work, and will be worth the upgrade if true. We've also gotten some hints that the AF speed is improved. This would also help me a bit, although not as much. Hand held PS/RR might be helpful.
04-11-2018, 03:22 PM - 3 Likes   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, first of all we aren't seeing a lot of refined testing, so for my part I'm waiting to see. But so far there have been some tantalizing hints, and the latest test shots I've seen of iso 1600, 3200, and 6400 look great to me. Being able to use those iso's on a regular basis with that quality would be quite a boon to me and my work, and will be worth the upgrade if true. We've also gotten some hints that the AF speed is improved. This would also help me a bit, although not as much. Hand held PS/RR might be helpful.
I never moved up to the K1, having had an arsenal of cropped Pentax cameras and the 645z. Today my K1 II arrived and I must say I was really impressed with the focus speed and accuracy. I have been waiting for full frame from Pentax since they entered digital imaging, and my early impressions are that this cameras focus speed, accuracy and image quality is a quantum leap above any of their other cameras. Even using screw driven Sigma EX DG APO 70-200 and 100-300 f4 EX DG APO lenses the speed was rapid to lock on focus.

This camera is a tool that will deliver whatever a creator wants. Dont kinow about sports photographers, but even here it looks like the upgrade might improve AF C.
04-11-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #127
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I never moved up to the K1, having had an arsenal of cropped Pentax cameras and the 645z. Today my K1 II arrived and I must say I was really impressed with the focus speed and accuracy.
I've not had much problem with accuracy, nor speed for that matter, but I am not an action shooter typically. But accuracy with the K1 side by side with a 5DmkIV to me showed the K1 more accurate in lower light levels, and locking on "plain" things more easily. Just my experience, not a test.

04-11-2018, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not had much problem with accuracy, nor speed for that matter, but I am not an action shooter typically. But accuracy with the K1 side by side with a 5DmkIV to me showed the K1 more accurate in lower light levels, and locking on "plain" things more easily. Just my experience, not a test.
I have to agree with you on this. I do scientific photography and have to use many different platforms with specialized equipment. I use Topcons, Nikons, and the 5Dm3. Interestingly, even after 40 years of multi platform imaging, I have always chosen Pentax for PR events and my personal photography and I have never been dissatisfied with the results. The K1 II does respond exceptionally well and if I'm impressed with what it offers it has to be capable. This camera may not be everyone's cup of tea but I find it an exceptional camera and clearly worth the money. That Canon I use, to me at least, is not anything special and costs considerably more.
04-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #129
maw
Pentaxian

But accuracy with the K1 side by side with a 5DmkIV to me showed the K1 more accurate in lower light levels,
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
This camera may not be everyone's cup of tea but I find it an exceptional camera and clearly worth the money.
If you say that the top of Canon SLRs is slightly slower in focusing on shadows, it's like saying that the Pentax K1 mark II is basically on par with the Canon.
So he made a really remarkable leap in what has always been the Achilles heel.
I just look forward to the test that Adam and your staff will do, but it is certainly in my sights.

Last edited by maw; 04-11-2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: correction
04-11-2018, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Between the naming of the processes (pixel shift, pixel shift II, real resolution, handheld, and then processing in Lightroom Classic vs CC vs the old CC, or in Apple photos er Photos, I'm gonna go crazy. Not to mention I have an Olympus and they call pixel shift something like "high resolution mode." And I think they call high speed sync on the flash something else too. Can they PUHLEEZE stop this??!!? I mean did they fire the person who just came up with something basic and worthy like "Astrotracer"? Aaargh.
04-11-2018, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Kimio Tanaka has some more impressions of the K-1 mark 2 on his blog.

The first post is about the accelerator.
Original Japanese: Photo of the Day K-1 Mark II???????????????
He asks the question that has appeared here once or twice: why wasn't the accelerator unit included in the original K-1? It's a fair question, of course, but he actually compounds the mystery by showing comparative photos of the K-1 and K-1ii circuit boards. While it's clear that there was space on the original K-1 board for the AU, you can see that the circuitry was changed a fair bit around it on the K-1ii board, so it seems to me that perhaps there was an issue with the AU implementation that may have been impossible to reconcile within the time frame for the K-1's release.

On the other hand, someone may just have decided that they needed an interim refresh, in between major releases, and the circuit changes were just improvements that were devised after the initial release. Nothing else on the board seems to be different, though.
04-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #132
Pentaxian

I'm glad to see some people are excited about the K1 Mk II.
04-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm glad to see some people are excited about the K1 Mk II.
When you get to a certain age, you take any excitement you can get...
04-11-2018, 11:56 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Watching RAW files I can see at least 1stop better ISO performance, thats nice.
Waiting for some AF-C upgrade review now to see if I go the upgrade path.

On a well known french forum :
Pentax K-1 Mark II

Actual users of the K1mkII are reporting a clear AF improvement, especially in AF-C mode, that brings hope while we're waiting for the factual tests from Adam !
04-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
He asks the question that has appeared here once or twice: why wasn't the accelerator unit included in the original K-1? It's a fair question, of course, but he actually compounds the mystery by showing comparative photos of the K-1 and K-1ii circuit boards. While it's clear that there was space on the original K-1 board for the AU, you can see that the circuitry was changed a fair bit around it on the K-1ii board, so it seems to me that perhaps there was an issue with the AU implementation that may have been impossible to reconcile within the time frame for the K-1's release.

On the other hand, someone may just have decided that they needed an interim refresh, in between major releases, and the circuit changes were just improvements that were devised after the initial release. Nothing else on the board seems to be different, though.
There were at least five plausible good reasons not to include the accelerator on the K-1:

1) schedule: it would have delayed the K-1 another 4 months

2) performance: the first version of the accelerator could not handle 36 Mpix in a timely fashion

3) cost: it would have added too much cost to the K-1

4) competitive positioning: the K-1 did not need the accelerator to offer competitive IQ (the K1 matched the D810 on IQ, with the added bonus of IBIS and a lower price point)

5) risk: Ricoh was not sure how well the chip would work and did not want to risk the K-1

Although the K-1 board had some room for the accelerator, you can see that the accelerator was not fully designed into the board. There's no pads for the accelerator chip and when they did add the accelerator, they were forced to redesign some other parts of the board to move some components out of the way.