Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
When you get to a certain age, you take any excitement you can get...
Or not! Things are a little too exciting for me right now, as opposed to you guys in Tasmania....

04-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #137
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Or not! Things are a little too exciting for me right now, as opposed to you guys in Tasmania....
You refer of course to this notification, there is movement in appearance. PENTAX K3? Maybe (New Pentax R01010)
04-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #138
Veteran Member

I just received my unit and smashed the shutter button a bit. It sounds a bit more "softer" than mk1 or maybe I got used to KP too much. No change in overall performance, very sluggish when writing pixel-shift files to the card. Grip is not creaking or making other strange noises yet. Articulating screen made me smile a bit after using KP for quite some time.
04-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
No change in overall performance
They say AF algorithm is improved, supposedly giving more confident AF lock. Have you tested that?

04-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K1-Mark II will be here April 16th can't wait
04-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They say AF algorithm is improved, supposedly giving more confident AF lock. Have you tested that?
Nope, I have no lenses with AF except 35mm macro ltd but I will not go there. I may have 77mm ltd by the end of this week or 100mm WR. But all those are screw drive so not the best ones to try out.

EDIT: Holy cows!!! Adobe has done something in silence with pixel shift files. I took DNG RAWs with MC disabled and lightroom 7.3 almost 100% fixes everything which moves. Moving cars look like mess on camera screen but almost zero issues when viewed in lightroom.

Last edited by MJKoski; 04-12-2018 at 01:48 PM.
04-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope, I have no lenses with AF except 35mm macro ltd but I will not go there. I may have 77mm ltd by the end of this week or 100mm WR. But all those are screw drive so not the best ones to try out.

EDIT: Holy cows!!! Adobe has done something in silence with pixel shift files. I took DNG RAWs with MC disabled and lightroom 7.3 almost 100% fixes everything which moves. Moving cars look like mess on camera screen but almost zero issues when viewed in lightroom.
Good news lol, I just couldn't get used to RT's workflow, so i'd use PS a lot more if it's easier to do in LR.

04-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #143
maw
Pentaxian

I took DNG RAWs with MC disabled and lightroom 7.3 almost 100% fixes everything which moves
Do you mean with the last ACR you can capture the pixel shift files of K1 mrkII without any sign of blur movement?
I tried with the K3II files but it doesn't work, with last ACR version 10.3.0.933
What do you mean by a disabled MC? I use Photoshop but the ACR is the same.
04-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
You refer of course to this notification, there is movement in appearance. PENTAX K3? Maybe (New Pentax R01010)
Sigh....no, that's not what I was referring to...more like the news, and the fact that in the U.S. taxes are due this week.
04-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@mjkoski - Are you sure Adobe is using all 4 frames, or just using the first one?
04-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
That’s from an island on the other side of Australia…

Interesting, though, if for no other reason than it possibly lends a different interpretation to the word “developing”.
04-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #147
Veteran Member

It is possible that lightroom only uses the first frame. Same processing lag is still there though as if using PEF PS files from MK1. Dang, have to take few more tests with/without PS. Pity that there is no PEF support yet for mk2.

@biz: I just wanted to edit the previous post instead of making a new one.
04-13-2018, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #148
JPT
Pentaxian

Ricoh has a couple of new articles on their K-1 special site explaining the development of the K-1 mark 2.

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
04-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Ricoh has a couple of new articles on their K-1 special site explaining the development of the K-1 mark 2.

JPT, thank you for posting those two links. Very interesting information.

One of the links says -

"After reexamining handheld photography from many different angles, and considering all the possible ways of minimizing camera shake during handheld shooting, PENTAX instead considered if it would be possible to take advantage of camera shake. Instead of looking at camera shake as the shifting of the subject from its original position, the company looked at shift as the intentional repositioning of the subject. While the mechanism of the Pixel Shift Resolution System was designed to shift the image sensor intentionally for a certain purpose, engineers were looking for a shift in general: whether the image sensor is purposefully shifted as a part of the camera’s shake-reduction mechanism, or it is unintentionally shifted due to the photographer’s motion during exposure."

This statement would lead me to believe that if the K1ii was shot on a tripod with "dynamic pixel shift on", and then removed from the tripod and shot hand held with "dynamic pixel shift" on, that the hand held version of that image would be better.

So, if the image quality improves with motion, I would like to ask, "how much motion is optimum"? I have to believe that if no motion is bad, extreme motion (e.g. panning) is also bad. So, exactly how much motion is the perfect amount to fully take advantage of this wonderful new feature? For example, would someone with extremely shaky hands have too much shake? Or, would someone with rock sold hands have not enough shake?

I'm not sure how this could be measured, but it might be interesting to see early adopters of the K1ii comment (or even post examples) of hand held "dynamic pixel shift" (DPS) with varying degrees of movement. For example, a series of 4 photos taken of the same subject using DPS - one photo on tripod, one hand held holding the camera as still as possible, one hand held with a bit more hand movement, and finally a photo taken with an extreme amount of hand movement.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 04-13-2018 at 09:40 AM.
04-13-2018, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
JPT, thank you for posting those two links. Very interesting information.

One of the links says -

"After reexamining handheld photography from many different angles, and considering all the possible ways of minimizing camera shake during handheld shooting, PENTAX instead considered if it would be possible to take advantage of camera shake. Instead of looking at camera shake as the shifting of the subject from its original position, the company looked at shift as the intentional repositioning of the subject. While the mechanism of the Pixel Shift Resolution System was designed to shift the image sensor intentionally for a certain purpose, engineers were looking for a shift in general: whether the image sensor is purposefully shifted as a part of the camera’s shake-reduction mechanism, or it is unintentionally shifted due to the photographer’s motion during exposure."

This statement would lead me to believe that if the K1ii was shot on a tripod with "dynamic pixel shift on", and then removed from the tripod and shot hand held with "dynamic pixel shift" on, that the hand held version of that image would be better.

So, if the image quality improves with motion, I would like to ask, "how much motion is optimum"? I have to believe that if no motion is bad, extreme motion (e.g. panning) is also bad. So, exactly how much motion is the perfect amount to fully take advantage of this wonderful new feature? For example, would someone with extremely shaky hands have too much shake? Or, would someone with rock sold hands have not enough shake?

I'm not sure how this could be measured, but it might be interesting to see early adopters of the K1ii comment (or even post examples) of hand held "dynamic pixel shift" (DPS) with varying degrees of movement. For example, a series of 4 photos taken of the same subject using DPS - one photo on tripod, one hand held holding the camera as still as possible, one hand held with a bit more hand movement, and finally a photo taken with an extreme amount of hand movement.
As I understand it, the system uses the data stream from the Pixel Shift system, i.e. the actual record of motion data captured by the gyros and accelerometer that feed into the IBIS processor. The IBIS processor moves electromagnets to reposition the sensor maintaining image stability. I believe the super resolution processor uses this camera motion data, not the sensor movement itself. Using this data the processor then aligns and stacks the four images at the pixel level.

Consequently I suspect ‘enough’ motion is an amount sufficient to create a robust data stream; too much motion is enough that the normal IBIS system would be overwhelmed and unable to move the sensor enough to maintain image stability.

I suspect the limits are user dependent. For me, shooting below 1/20 is iffy; shooting at or above 1/30 is very likely fully compensated. Shooting at 1/1000 but separated by enough time between releases might generate a robust data stream, Shooting fully braced and having exhaled might not. Etc.