Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2018, 01:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

k-1 follow subject with sensor movements in video mode... What?

Hi,

yesterday I tried the video mode in a group (crew?) dance contest. K-1 on a tripod, M mode, SR enabled, 720 60p, no more strange settings.

During the video I looked at the rear display and.... the camera tried to follow the orizontal (maybe also vertical) movements of the subject (entire group of people dancing). I never ear about this function... you?

03-26-2018, 01:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Hi,

yesterday I tried the video mode in a group (crew?) dance contest. K-1 on a tripod, M mode, SR enabled, 720 60p, no more strange settings.

During the video I looked at the rear display and.... the camera tried to follow the orizontal (maybe also vertical) movements of the subject (entire group of people dancing). I never ear about this function... you?
Are you talking about face detection? This highlights people's faces, which you can then focus on- but it only works prior to recording (and for stills).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2018, 01:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Could be movie SR thinking the people moving was because of camera shake. Being fully software based, it has to guess at what’s a shake vs intentional movement of the subject.

Did you have movie SR turned off?
03-26-2018, 01:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you talking about face detection? This highlights people's faces, which you can then focus on- but it only works prior to recording (and for stills).
Face detection not enabled, AF mode was the more simple: the rectangle at center but that I can move.

The sensor movements, that I tried to describe, there were during the video rec, and then in the recorded video :O

03-26-2018, 01:58 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post the clip? To me it sounds like a broken SR system perhaps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2018, 02:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Could be movie SR thinking the people moving was because of camera shake. Being fully software based, it has to guess at what’s a shake vs intentional movement of the subject.

Did you have movie SR turned off?
I tried with SR on and off but same behavior. I have to add that is indeed a much appreciate behavior because the camera followed the "people group" for me

Ok, I will try to upload a sample video on youtube.

Last edited by Andrea K; 03-26-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: wrong statement about behavior also with Movie SR off
03-26-2018, 02:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K-1 doesn't have movie SR (mechanical), only software shake reductions. Sensor doesn't (shouldn't) physically move, not for SR purposes at least.

As I understood it, some Sigma lenses with built-in SR should work, but that's in-lens, not in-body.

03-26-2018, 02:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
K-1 doesn't have movie SR (mechanical), only software shake reductions. Sensor doesn't (shouldn't) physically move, not for SR purposes at least.
yep, it was more right if I wrote "view" movements...
03-26-2018, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I note that you said that SR was on - sounds like the software was trying to compensate for what it thought was shake. The software-based SR implementation is best turned off (at all times!) especially if the camera was on a tripod. Then de-shake separately if you need to.
03-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #10

Video

I also try last night
Av mode f:5
Focus: follow up subject.
What a disaster.

On the manual they say Press AF1 while shooting??

We’re is AF1 : top right or side left??

I press top right while shooting nothing happend.

Should I be AF-C or AF-S?

A lot of questions but I am sure the video mode should work
Not like a pro camcorder but at least enough for a acceptable video
03-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wait, I tried with and without SR. Same behavior. FOCUS has to be preset because "follow subject" is a joke with contrast AF.

Here a little piece, every view movement are made by the camera.

Last edited by Andrea K; 03-26-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: wrong statement about behavior also with Movie SR off
03-26-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #12

Freaky
But let's just call it a feature instead a bug
03-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I expect to see these types of post more and more, as owners discover their new camera offers no automatic AF or focusing aides during video mode.

Eg
Problem autofocusing in ks2 movie recording - PentaxForums.com

In today’s market if increasingly capable camera devices, it’s just unheard of that he camera won’t focus where you point it, or track subjects (however nice or not that looks in practise) when you start video recording.

To compound the situation, the famous Pentax mechanical SR system doesn’t work in video mode either.

As a tip to the original poster, I’d suggest:
Fix Movie SR off in the menu.
You can refocus during video, but it’s a manual process and will record the focus hunting as it re focusses. Normally it’s the rear AF button that triggers this.
Try to pick an aperture that gets a lot of the scene in focus, the like of f-8/f-11 or more, so focus points are less critical. Inside though this will likely lead to a lot of ISO noise.
Opt for 1080p resolution at a lower frame rate to increase the amount of lught captured per frame. Motion blue will suffer though, which might not suit your subject matter.

Good luck.
03-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But when the thread has switched about AF stuff?

I tried with SR on or off, I have a custom button function to do this, in the clip I uploaded the Movie SR was on, but I will post a video with Movie SR off.
I know that is a software SR. I know that I have to use manual focus during recording. I know that the back AF button engage Contrast AF. :P

---------- Post added 26-03-18 at 18:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
Freaky
But let's just call it a feature instead a bug
Yep, absolutely a feature...

Last edited by Andrea K; 03-26-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: wrong statement about behavior also with Movie SR off
03-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
But when the thread has switched about AF stuff?

I tried with SR on or off, I have a custom button function to do this, in the clip I uploaded the Movie SR was on, but I will post a video with Movie SR off.
I know that is a software SR. I know that I have to use manual focus during recording. I know that the back AF button engage Contrast AF. :P

---------- Post added 26-03-18 at 18:19 ----------

Yep, absolutely a feature... If I understand how to disable it when I don't need.
What Pentax think about that? Technician should have an answer???? They create the camera. K-1
I have a K-1 and never succeed on movie follow mode. My way is to shot scene by scene with AF1 between when composed.
Hope the K-1 Mii will have it fixed.