Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2018, 11:48 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Here is the big question, D750 and 150-600 or K-3 (or KP) and 150-450. Now we have a contest.
Until 3th May I can't answer to this question. I mean, I can, but I don't have images anymore on my computer (they may be somewere on my hardrives) to show you as arguments. And simple words without images as arguments are useless most of the times. On 3th May I have scheduled a wildlife trip to Danube Delta along with another 6 close friends of mine. One of them has K-3 II with 150-450mm and 300mm f4 lenses and a 1.4x TC. The others have:
- a D750 camera with Nikon 200-500mm
- a D7200 with Tamron 150-600mm (G1 not G2 version)
- a 5D Mark IV (mine) with 300mm f2.8 lens and 1.4x TC along with 2x TC
- a 5D Mark IV with Canon 100-400mm
- a Sony a6500 with Sigma 100-400mm
- a D800 camera with Nikon 200-500mm

Focus speed and accuracy are hard to be demonstrated and I won't bother to make such tests, but if you are interested in:
- sharpness at the longest focal lenght and the wider aperture
- high ISO in the same shooting conditions
- differences after we apply crop on the images taken with the shortest lenses
- how auto white balance influence the images
- etc.

this I can do. I can open a new thread to show you and to anyone interested the results and provide also the RAW files so that people can take their own decisions.

KP would probably have been a better camera for this kind of test and I'm saying this because I had K-3 II and I know that high ISO it's not that good and KP looks to have some big improvements in this regard, but D7200 and a6500 are in the same category with K-3 II so it will be interesting.

There is one small "problem" with this kind of tests: the software used by people for viewing and editing the RAW files. I don't know how good is the Pentax editing program (PDCU) these days, but Lightroom in my opinion is not the best software for editing RAW files (no matter the brand of the camera). I use Canon DPP for accuracy of the colors, etc. and I send the TIFF files to Photoshop if I have complex editing to do (for portraits usually). I make this remark because it may lead to debates.