Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Exactly.
Unfortunately my K01 sits there gathering dust despite the fact I was perfectly happy with it!!
The K-01 has that wonderful 16Mp sensor - every bit as good as what’s in the K-1. I take mine out, but it has to be intentional. Otherwise it would sit in the drawer.

03-30-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #32
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Durf Quote
I feel like I'm violating an ancient taboo not attaching these lenses to a Pentax camera though! LOL
Kinda like grafting a rose onto a briar
03-31-2018, 06:03 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
... I know the K3 is not full frame but I'm using most of these lenses now on a Canon 80D crop sensor.....just thinking.............
Plus the K3 is much cheaper than the K1....hmmmm

The KP looks like a good choice too for an APS-C
The KP could be a good choice. People argue it isn't all it should be as it isn't a K-3 iii but it might be just right for your use. I believe results in low light will be better than 80D; will this be helpful for you?

---------- Post added 03-31-18 at 07:09 AM ----------

I did this thinking a year or so back. I had a K01 (16mp apsc). My logic was that the FF was kinder to these old lenses because the image from the sensor does not need to be enlarged so much. And that is certainly the case. But another consequence of going FF is that your dof is relatively a lot thinner - and a lot of the lens that I could use wide open and reap the advantage of a circular aperture in bokeh quality in the K01 was simply not practical with FF. As soon as you stop down the shape of the iris kicks in and effects the bokeh.
Well, this could still be accomplished by using the K-1 as it is but then using it in crop mode when that will be advantageous. Certainly, the K-1 costs more than either K-3 or KP and some would cry heretic for using the K-1 in crop mode.. I suggest this idea to Durf he could use the old wide angle lenses for wide field of view as well....

---------- Post added 03-31-18 at 07:10 AM ----------

Kinda like grafting a rose onto a briar
Durf, I think he means it would be like grafting an azalea onto a kudzu (I am from SC)
Save
03-31-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
The KP could be a good choice. People argue it isn't all it should be as it isn't a K-3 iii but it might be just right for your use. I believe results in low light will be better than 80D; will this be helpful for you?

---------- Post added 03-31-18 at 07:09 AM ----------

Well, this could still be accomplished by using the K-1 as it is but then using it in crop mode when that will be advantageous. Certainly, the K-1 costs more than either K-3 or KP and some would cry heretic for using the K-1 in crop mode.. I suggest this idea to Durf he could use the old wide angle lenses for wide field of view as well....

---------- Post added 03-31-18 at 07:10 AM ----------

Durf, I think he means it would be like grafting an azalea onto a kudzu (I am from SC)
Save
I do like the bigger style dslr's, anything smaller than my 80D I just don't like to use all that much.....especially with bigger lenses. Compact dslr's is a bit like grafting a watermelon to a pea.

Yes, I do believe I'd just go for it and go the full frame K1 route. I think I'll wait for the K1 Mark 2 to be released and see how well it's received and likely just buy that.

In the meanwhile I'll continue grafting in an odd way

03-31-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope all your grafts bear fruit
03-31-2018, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #36

Original Poster
When you're bored, run out of ideas, and can't think of anything to take a photo of, just graft an old vintage lens on to your camera and find an old chunk of re-bar! lol

The Canon color science does add a unique additional character to these lenses....

Image taken with an old S-M-C Takumar 135mm f/2.5 attached to a Canon 6D Mark ii
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 6D Mark II  Photo 

Last edited by Durf; 03-31-2018 at 01:46 PM.
03-31-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
K1 and Using Vintage Lenses
My "Ladies" and I, have a rare time oot together.

04-01-2018, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I have a large collection of old Takumar's and Pentax-M Series Lenses and was considering buying the K1 or K1 Mark ii to start using them on a full frame Pentax Camera......
my question is; How does the K1 handle these old vintage lenses?????
Any help would be highly appreciated.
The user manual (page 108) of the K-1 offers a table with all functions and limitations for each lens family.
K1-OPM-EN.pdf

If there are any questions left after that, here are a lot of links which shows even more aspects of the compatibility:
Template talk:Pentax K-mount lens compatibility chart - Wikipedia
04-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The user manual (page 108) of the K-1 offers a table with all functions and limitations for each lens family.
K1-OPM-EN.pdf

If there are any questions left after that, here are a lot of links which shows even more aspects of the compatibility:
Template talk:Pentax K-mount lens compatibility chart - Wikipedia
Thanks!
04-01-2018, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

I only have one manual lens but I would definitely want more now that I have gotten the hang of manual shooting.

The only thing I have really noticed at all is that the manual lens I have is a bit cooler color wise than a more modern lens. It has absolutely nothing to do with sharpness and can easily be corrected in post processing with a slight bump of the color temp adjustment.

I also say if you can afford it you really should go full frame. I am loving the upgrade from crop to FF.

Also the K-1 (not sure about other models) has a live view zoom function that I will forever use, especially when shooting fast lenses. My manual lens is a 50mm f1.4 and with that live view zoom focus I can nail focus pretty much every time.
10-20-2018, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #41

Original Poster
Finally!!!!

My new K1 with my favorite old lens on it; a Takumar 85mm f/1.8

Awesome camera! I'm loving it!

The newest lens I have for it is a 1980 28mm Pentax-M, I don't even know if the auto focus works on it! LOL I'll probably never buy a modern lens for it as I basically bought it for my Vintage Lens Collection......
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 80D  Photo 
10-21-2018, 12:51 AM - 2 Likes   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
My “Gorgeous Lady” (Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED) and I oot and aboot, perhaps not true vintage... but she's been with for at least thirty years now.

10-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
My “Gorgeous Lady” (Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED) and I oot and aboot, perhaps not true vintage... but she's been with for at least thirty years now.
great shot; I have the Takumar 200mm f/4 which I really like, it has a little fringing in the highlights when the light is harsh but renders quite nice when used carefully. (My Tak 135mm f/2.5 I like better though)
10-21-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

great shot
Thank you.

it has a little fringing in the highlights when the light is harsh
Usually a quick easy fix in PP.
10-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For a moment I was going to ask you to take down MY PHOTO!!. I have the same lens, the same PeakDesign connectors, the same brown pad on my dining room table and took the same record flash shot of my 85/1.8 when I got it.

Then I read Canon in your EXIF

.:
You must also have a great mind too! LOL

that 85mm f/1.8is probably the best Takumar I have, it never fails me with amazing images!