Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
What is the right tool for that? EXIFtool?
Yes, ExifTool...(K-1II is supported in the most recent release)

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Man pages:

exiftool Application Documentation

Steve

05-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Wowzer! It works!

exiftool -model="PENTAX K-1" <PEF-filename>

That is all that is needed to do the trick. Lightroom opens the file as K-1 mk1 and also pixel-shift files work. Now gonna make a script which converts whole folders and stuff at once.
05-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Does anyone know the general time it takes Adobe to add support for a new Pentax camera?
Since I did get the Mark II, wondering how long it will be before .pef is supported. Any experiences with other cameras?
Even Photoshop CS5 from 2010 supports the K-1 DNG-files. So what are you waiting for?
What do you need PEF for? Pentax is the only reasonable priced camera manufacturer who offers native DNG in their cameras - so every DNG-compatoble programm should open the files.
05-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I wrote a little PowerShell script for Windows users:

$fileNames = Get-ChildItem -Path $scriptPath -Recurse -Include *.PEF

for ($i=0; $i -lt $fileNames.Count; $i++) {
exiftool -model="PENTAX K-1" -overwrite_original $fileNames[$i].FullName
}

1. Save as .ps1 file and put it somewhere in system path so it can be called from anywhere OR just save it in some temporary directory where you can drop in some PEF files
2. Open Administrator PowerShell and set script execution policy to RemoteSigned (allows running local scripts)
3. Go to the directory where PEF files are
4. Run the script: .\script.ps1 <PEF file directory path or just a sub directory name where PEF files are>

It goes thru all directories in the path provided to the script and runs ExifTool for every PEF-file and sets camera model name to "Pentax K-1" after which Lightroom sees them as valid mk1 files and lets you import them.

Script provided as is and no further technical support will be given. You run this at your own risk.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 01:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Even Photoshop CS5 from 2010 supports the K-1 DNG-files. So what are you waiting for?
What do you need PEF for? Pentax is the only reasonable priced camera manufacturer who offers native DNG in their cameras - so every DNG-compatoble programm should open the files.
This is not a proper solution. Using pixel shift with DNG files just plain does not work in Lightroom as it currently is. You need to use PEF format if you want to use LR to process PS files. Which is my favorite PS processor BTW. Why? Lightroom just pushes the most out of the files with correct sharpening settings. Motion Correction fails but any PS file having motion failed already when exposing them anyway...

05-03-2018, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have not tried it, but I believe that ExifTool will batch process all supported files in a directory if the directory name is provided as the FILE argument.

Steve
05-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have not tried it, but I believe that ExifTool will batch process all supported files in a directory if the directory name is provided as the FILE argument.

Steve
That's correct. Example from documentation:

exiftool -DateTimeOriginal-='0:0:0 1:30:0' dir

Adjust original date/time of all images in directory dir by subtracting one hour and 30 minutes. (This is equivalent to -DateTimeOriginal-=1.5. See Image::ExifTool::Shift.pl for details.)
05-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Accorging to the exiftool manpage, "-r" is the switch to recurse directories/subdirectories. There are some command recipes given here:

Batch processing

Last edited by jbinpg; 05-03-2018 at 10:34 PM.
05-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That's correct. Example from documentation:

exiftool -DateTimeOriginal-='0:0:0 1:30:0' dir

Adjust original date/time of all images in directory dir by subtracting one hour and 30 minutes. (This is equivalent to -DateTimeOriginal-=1.5. See Image::ExifTool::Shift.pl for details.)
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Accorging to the exiftool manpage, "-r" is the switch to recurse directories/subdirctories. There are some command recipes given here:

Batch processing
ExifTool is so very flexible and Phil Harvey has done a good job of anticipating a wide range of use cases. However, with comprehensive features comes the risk of complicated side-effects. When doing fancy stuff, it is good to review the mistakes page:

Common ExifTool Mistakes

(Even has a section on scripting...)

Steve
05-05-2018, 01:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
...that's what I routinely do twice a year a week or two after DST...
05-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...that's what I routinely do twice a year a week or two after DST...
or after traveling
05-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
or after traveling
That happens less frequently to me... probably because when landing I usually have to set the clock on my smartphone (if I don't use the time provided by the infrastructure) as well, so I "cannot" forget...
05-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$fileNames = Get-ChildItem -Path $scriptPath -Recurse -Include *.PEF

for ($i=0; $i -lt $fileNames.Count; $i++) {
exiftool -model="PENTAX K-1" -overwrite_original $fileNames[$i].FullName
}

1. Save as .ps1 file and put it somewhere in system path so it can be called from anywhere OR just save it in some temporary directory where you can drop in some PEF files
2. Open Administrator PowerShell and set script execution policy to RemoteSigned (allows running local scripts)
3. Go to the directory where PEF files are
4. Run the script: .\script.ps1 <PEF file directory path or just a sub directory name where PEF files are>

It goes thru all directories in the path provided to the script and runs ExifTool for every PEF-file and sets camera model name to "Pentax K-1" after which Lightroom sees them as valid mk1 files and lets you import them.

Script provided as is and no further technical support will be given. You run this at your own risk.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 01:41 PM ----------

This is not a proper solution. Using pixel shift with DNG files just plain does not work in Lightroom as it currently is. You need to use PEF format if you want to use LR to process PS files. Which is my favorite PS processor BTW. Why? Lightroom just pushes the most out of the files with correct sharpening settings. Motion Correction fails but any PS file having motion failed already when exposing them anyway...
Interesting about DNG PS not working in Lr. How so? I haven't used K-3ii PEFs much with Lr, but what I've seen of the ones I have doesn't reveal significant differences, at least not to my eye with my images. I don't have K-1 images; are you referring to just that camera? thanks.

Last edited by Oakland Rob; 05-06-2018 at 04:47 PM.
05-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

K-1 Mk2. I took some PS images in DNG few weeks ago and first thought that Adobe had fixed motion correction but no...it turned out that LR was only using the first exposure in the DNG (which was 4x of size as it should be).

After this exiftool "fix" PEF PS seems to work again.
05-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 Mk2. I took some PS images in DNG few weeks ago and first thought that Adobe had fixed motion correction but no...it turned out that LR was only using the first exposure in the DNG (which was 4x of size as it should be).

After this exiftool "fix" PEF PS seems to work again.
Ah, thanks. They still don't have the profiles yet either for that camera.