Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2018, 06:13 PM   #16

I will upgrade, just based on what I have seen and learned from the first few limited reviews. I will ship it off at the earliest date possible.

03-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello,
Is Precission Camera Repair doing the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade service? Or, is there a Pentax location in the U.S.A.?
Thank you,
Terry
My main concern is how long it will take. I use mine too much to be without for six to eight weeks.
03-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm somewhat considering it. The real question is just what it will do for me. In reading the first review form Spain, ISO at 3200 and above is better, however, I concerned with ISO 3200 and below. Pixel Shift may be of some additional use, but jury is still out. It would be helpful to have Pentax or the reviewers provide some additional information.

03-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I probably will due to using mine mostly for astrophotography.
Same here... Have you tried running in pixel shift mode on a sidereal tracking mount? I've been thinking about giving that a whirl and processing the raw files myself (for the stacking).

03-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Same here... Have you tried running in pixel shift mode on a sidereal tracking mount? I've been thinking about giving that a whirl and processing the raw files myself (for the stacking).
I have not done that since I am taking 30-180 second exposures, and then stacking them all.
04-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Change of plans here. I canceled the K-1ll preorder. Since I have a K-1 and a KP I already have the 36Mp Sony sensor and the Accelerator Unit - they’re just in different cameras. Consequently I won’t be obligated to sell the KP and all DA Limited lenses to pay for the K-1ll and I can carry out my original plan: use K-1 primarily for deliberate shooting with manual focus lenses and KP for travel and casual photography. The travel aspect is especially important as I recently had ten pounds of K-1 and lenses in a shoulder bag

I can buy the K-1ll later if it’s that big a deal.
04-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
use K-1 primarily for deliberate shooting with manual focus lenses
And that sounds like a scenario that lends itself to classic pixel shift on a tripod, so I'm guessing the new handheld version may not be pressing either. I think I'd rather keep the KP and lenses as described versus having to abandon the APS-C format for the II's features as we know them today. Both formats have their advantages, and I think the small size of the KP coupled with the right lenses make it a very appealing way to go.

If you find the II's versions too enticing, you have plenty of time to do the upgrade instead of an outright purchase. That might be a way to spread the love between the two formats.

04-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
And that sounds like a scenario that lends itself to classic pixel shift on a tripod, so I'm guessing the new handheld version may not be pressing either. I think I'd rather keep the KP and lenses as described versus having to abandon the APS-C format for the II's features as we know them today. Both formats have their advantages, and I think the small size of the KP coupled with the right lenses make it a very appealing way to go.

If you find the II's versions too enticing, you have plenty of time to do the upgrade instead of an outright purchase. That might be a way to spread the love between the two formats.
I think I'll see what they do to AF with the next Firmware upgrade. Or just shoot with what I have, which is far more than I need and was outstanding one day before the K-1ll announcement.