Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Who's doing the K-1 upgrade service?

Hello,
Is Precission Camera Repair doing the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade service? Or, is there a Pentax location in the U.S.A.?
Thank you,
Terry

03-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes Precision Camera will do the upgrade in the U.S.
03-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello,
Is Precission Camera Repair doing the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade service? Or, is there a Pentax location in the U.S.A.?
Thank you,
Terry
Ricoh Imaging Japan has sent (or soon will send) technicians to train a group of Precision employees how to perform the upgrade step-by-step. Once they know the process it is routine. There shouldn’t be any problems. Ricoh certainly wants this to go well - it’s a unique brand-identity marker.
03-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh Imaging Japan has sent (or soon will send) technicians to train a group of Precision employees how to perform the upgrade step-by-step. Once they know the process it is routine. There shouldn’t be any problems. Ricoh certainly wants this to go well - it’s a unique brand-identity marker.
Hi monochrome,
Any idea what the turnaround time will be?
Terry

03-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi monochrome,
Terry
Nope. They’re supposed to release info in early May about the whole thing. I think I read the upgrade offer is from May 30 - September 30, but don’t hold me to that.
03-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I probably will due to using mine mostly for astrophotography.
03-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi monochrome,
Terry
Hopefully similar to any routine repair, since parts should be readily available.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Does anyone know if there will be a warranty on it? For instance, since they are tearing out the guts and rebuilding the camera, will they give at least a 90 day (or better yet a year) of warranty coverage?
03-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not believe any official warranty information has been specifically stated at this point.

I would expect a 90 day warranty if the original one was expired or had less than 90 days left. The standard warranty I've had from Precision on lens repairs I've had done out of warranty have been 90 days.
03-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in.
03-31-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I would love to have Pentax's latest and greatest K1 II, but I just bought my K1 in January, and have been waiting for Spring and Summer to get hear so I can use it. So, the turn around time would have to be pretty quick in order for me to do it. The K-1 itself is more camera than I know how to use, I might just get the 24-70, or the new 50, instead.
Terry
03-31-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll be watching the reviews carefully to see comparative improvements over the K-1. If there is one stop improvement in image quality as has been preliminary reported and if the continuous focus tracking functionality is significantly improved as has been rumored, I'll probably do it. Also, I like the idea of hand-held pixel shift if it proves to be achievable, but that's not an overriding factor in my decision process.
03-31-2018, 04:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE Warranty, I bought the extended warranty, which has a year to run. I wonder what would happen to that? (Doesn’t matter - I ordered the big gun).
03-31-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I preordered mine 45 minutes after it was announced and I got it in the first batch. My warranty is long gone.
03-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
My warranty is long gone.
In that case, you've got to come out better with some warranty on at least some part of the camera after the upgrade. It would be nice if it covered anything that went wrong for the period. I've had that on audio equipment I had repaired - warranty covered the whole unit, not just the repaired part. Hopefully it will be something like that because it's better for the brand to stand behind and take care of a failure, even if unrelated, versus arguing with the customer, who may always connect the failure to the service work.