04-03-2018, 01:01 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K1 Mark II review

[Test] Pentax K-1 II

04-03-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting and amusing that they have created their own “meandering bicycle” AF test, and that the K-1ii scores considerably better in it.
04-03-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It gilds the K1 nicely - AF update, ISO improvement etc - and makes that main board update appealing (particularly those of us using the low light capability)

Thanks for sharing
04-03-2018, 02:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading this review Im very curious to know if the AF improvement will be provided via a Firmware update.
PentaxKlub is suggesting that Ricoh Pentax reworked the AF algorythm from scratch and I dont know if this new Algorythm needs the Motherboard upgrade to work.

Better ISO performance in my "usable" range (up to 6400) seems better as well, I might set the Auto ISO valued to 8000 with this upgrade.

04-03-2018, 03:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Google translate
Google Translate
04-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #6
Forum Member

Hah! due to the translation, I can't figure out if the author felt the AF has been improved or not. :|
04-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Reading this review Im very curious to know if the AF improvement will be provided via a Firmware update.
That would depend on how much of the AF algorithms is in flashable firmware and how much is embedded in the AF hardware module itself.

04-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zazism_rx Quote
Hah! due to the translation, I can't figure out if the author felt the AF has been improved or not. :|
They say the AF feels faster than anything Pentax has done before. Reactivity is comparable to a Canon 5ds. Coverage is the same. More multiple AF points light up in auto mode. Tracking feels to be improved.

Overall, they feel the AF has been improved and is mostly on par with the competition. The main limiting factor now being the limited coverage of the AF points instead of the speed of the system.

Last edited by CarlJF; 04-03-2018 at 07:00 AM.
04-03-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Because the new AU unit must be supported, there will be a lot of changes in the firmware. I think there is no hope for a firmware upgrade on the old one. I assume, that a lot of picture calculation has been transferred to the AU. These freed-up resources in the Prime IV can be used for AF and other enhancements.
04-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That would depend on how much of the AF algorithms is in flashable firmware and how much is embedded in the AF hardware module itself.
Yep, very curious to know how Pentax will handle this firmware update !

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
They say the AF feels faster than anything Pentax has done before. Reactivity is comparable to a Canon 5ds. Coverage is the same. Multiple AF points lights up in auto mode. Tracking feels to be improved.

Overall, they feel the AF has been improved and is mostly on par with the competition. The main limiting factor now being the limited coverage of the AF points instead of the speed of the system.
That is a very good news because folks at PentaxKlub (as far as I know the team behind the site is only 2 or 3 people as admin) are usually pretty honest with their reviews and opinions. I've had the chance to meet one of them and we had some nice conversation about Pentax system, he was not trying to overlook Pentax issues and seemed very fair in his opinion.

I think I need to ask myself the following question : Am I ready to pay 550€ for a really improved AF system and 2/3 stop of high ISO improvement that's a tough one !
04-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

That is a very good news because folks at PentaxKlub (as far as I know the team behind the site is only 2 or 3 people as admin) are usually pretty honest with their reviews and opinions. I've had the chance to meet one of them and we had some nice conversation about Pentax system, he was not trying to overlook Pentax issues and seemed very fair in his opinion.

I think I need to ask myself the following question : Am I ready to pay 550€ for a really improved AF system and 2/3 stop of high ISO improvement that's a tough one !
That is a big question...I would like that fraction better AF, but with that money I could buy new lens.........that high ISO sounds really good too thou, 2 stops is basically make it or not some times.
04-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My original plan was to use the KP for AF telephoto lenses, travel and casual photography and use the K-1 in M Mode (and Av Mode for m42 Lenses) with my large set of manual focus lenses and FA Limiteds. I would upgrade if the IQ improvement is worth $500, and the AF is enough of a sweetener. Otherwise my plan was fine the day before K-1ll was announced.
04-03-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You mean the update that might require different hardware? I believe it is being offered as a cost-plus option for current K-1 owners.

Steve
04-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
That is a big question...I would like that fraction better AF, but with that money I could buy new lens.........that high ISO sounds really good too thou, 2 stops is basically make it or not some times.
Hmmm... They did not seem to address the touted improvement of color accuracy in the review... and it would be interesting to know if the MkII is improved in that and if so, how.
Eric
04-03-2018, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean the update that might require different hardware? I believe it is being offered as a cost-plus option for current K-1 owners.

Steve
You mean the clever mainboard hardware upgrade offer that - after much contemplation - caused my rational brain to overrule my lizard brain, cancel my K-1ll preorder, and opt to send my camera in to have installed?