Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

K-1 Mark II files in DCU 5.7.2 and RT 5.3

Hi, I noticed, that I can see K-1 Mark II DNG files in DCU latest version in browser mode, but I'm unable to work with them in laboratory mode. This means, that DCU (this version) is useless in processing Pixel Shift and Dynamic Pixel Shift pictures. Has anybody else noticed the same?

RT 5.3 seems to be working ok with these files and I can process PS files. RT seems to be able to break DPS into four different photos and show them, but not to combine them with motion correction (end result is useless).

Last edited by sauli42; 04-12-2018 at 08:57 PM.
04-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

According to the Ricoh websites the II should ship with DCU 5.80 on the CD.
04-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sauli42 Quote
Hi, I noticed, that I can see K-1 Mark II DNG files in DCU latest version in browser mode, but I'm unable to work with them in laboratory mode. This means, that DCU (this version) is useless in processing Pixel Shift and Dynamic Pixel Shift pictures. Has anybody else noticed the same?

RT 5.3 seems to be working ok with these files and I can process PS files. RT seems to be able to break DPS into four different photos and show them, but not to combine them with motion correction (end result is useless).
Have you tried dcrawps?
It would be interesting/useful to know how well it handles the files from the K-1 mark II.

Cheers,
Terry
04-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks, I also noticed after placing my question that DCU-CD version thing, didn't check it carefully. I'll check that later this evening ;-)

I haven't used dcrawps, hopefully somebody else can answer to You.

04-13-2018, 04:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi again,

There in deed is a valid version of DCU (5.8.0) on CD delivered with camera, although the version is not marked on CD (just Digital Camera Utility 5). At least today I was not able to find downloadable version in internet.

I save all images in camera in DNG format, so everyting after this is limited to that. I haven' tested PEF files at all.

DCU 5.8.0 works fine with PS files from both K-1 and K-1 Mark II. With handheld Dynamic PS files from K-1 Mark II You can do only basic post.

RT 5.3 is capable to break Dynamic PS image to four separate images (or components), but it can't combine them to one acceptable image (it does try, but end result is worthless probably because of the camera movement).

LR Classic CC is able to show of the Dynamic PS component images only the first image in the stack of four just like the case is with the normal PS image.

My workflow with Dynamic Pixel Shift (DPS) image goes like this:

1. Open DPS DNG file in DCU 5.8.0 and save it in tiff mode

2. Open the tiff image in LR CC and do all the post with that

3. If I'm not happy with the result and I still want to use part of that DPS image, options are to open DNG in LR Classic CC and use the first image in the stack or open DNG in RT and pick any of those four images in the stack

With normal DNG PS image I just open it in DCU or RT, select MC on/off or demosaicing + MC method + parameters etc. and save it in tiff format for LR and some fine tuning.

A little bit complicated, but possible.

Regards, Sauli

Last edited by sauli42; 04-13-2018 at 11:06 PM.
04-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I'm trying to find something to read that round plastic artifact that came in the box with my camera. I guess Pentax sent everyone back to 2001 in a time machine to generate the things, but they can't find their way back to the future to put it on that newfangled interwebby thing. Unbelieveable. And of course they don't answer email; I guess I should write a letter.

Have you tried the PS and DPS images in Lr Classic? I thought it could do PS images?

I stuck a DPS image into RT 5.1 and the motion mask basically showed a huge green screen; flicking through the images I saw significant movement, even though the camera generated it as one file. From prior experience I'd guess that even if I did an HDR with the four images I'd have a LOT of ghosting.
04-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #7

Send me the CD and I'll put up a downloadable image that you can attach as a virtual CD on google or onedrive. Probably by the time that gets done v5.80 will be up on the websites.

Or go to Kinko's or some such place and ask if they will copy the install program to a flash drive/card for you.

04-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Send me the CD and I'll put up a downloadable image that you can attach as a virtual CD on google or onedrive. Probably by the time that gets done v5.80 will be up on the websites.

Or go to Kinko's or some such place and ask if they will copy the install program to a flash drive/card for you.
Thanks, but I found something. Wasn't worth it; the software still blows unfortunately. Thought I might find a manual there, nix on that. Not much different than the K-1i manual though, so using that.

But really—release a camera without the suitable downloads available? sooo lame. Maybe you should contract with Ricoh....
04-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
But really—release a camera without the suitable downloads available? sooo lame. Maybe you should contract with Ricoh....
The official sales release date for the K-1ii is 20 April so I wouldn't expect downloads available on the websites until then. North America got a leg up on other regions. Ricoh/Pentax largest region in terms of sales is Japan/Asia. If that region of the market still likes software on CDs Ricoh is going to cater to that market first. Software on CDs is far from obsolete. Just go to Costco or Sam's Club or Best Buy and see stacks of CDs of TurboTax or Quicken/Quickbooks. If I buy one of the discs there is no provision for me to download the software. I can buy an electronic delivery version online, but then I don't get a CD/DVD unless I pay extra.

Try downloading software when your Internet service is down or sketchy so that the download keeps aborting and takes hours to complete. That's pretty lame in my opinion.