Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1ii DNGs won't open in DxO Photolab

For any of you who use DxO Photolab be aware that out-of-camera DNGs won't open in Photolab. Even if one "converts" them in Lightroom they won't open.

04-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you try the Adobe DNG converter?
04-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

DXO needs time to make it's own profiles and updated lens corrections for the camera, even though it's almost the same as the K1. I was surprised to see them open in Lightroom with Adobe profiles.
04-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
I was surprised to see them open in Lightroom with Adobe profiles.
Lightroom will open DNGs for new (unsupported) cameras as long as they contain an embedded camera profile.

Steve

04-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble opening your K-1 II DNGs in PhotoLab. But if the past is any indication, DxO has been pretty dependable in keeping up with major Pentax camera releases. I'd be surprised if they didn't include K-1 II support in their next major update, and if those files wouldn't look downright gorgeous once you process them with that updated version.

While that is by no means a guarantee for getting all the camera-lens-profiles you would wish for, they still have this suggestion form where you can post wishes for particular combinations you would like to see as profiles:

DxO Optics Modules suggestion form | www.dxo.com
04-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Did you try the Adobe DNG converter?
Yes. See my OP.

And the response from DxO was to refer me to the list of currently supported and planned to be supported lens, and the K-1ii isn't there, so no no "immediate plans to support the camera body."
04-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Yes. See my OP.
Not the one in Lightroom, the stand alone one. Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 10.3
Might make no difference, just curious. In the past this one has worked even when Lightroom did not.

04-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No difference with the Converter. DxO isn't just about doing a RAW conversion; it will only operate on images where it has profiles to use. The embedded one isn't good enough. I've even had an argument where they wouldn't support a lens that just essentially had a letter variant in it's name cuz it was sold as part of a certain package. They only support the profiles they test and create. TL;DR: it's not just about a compatible file format.
04-14-2018, 05:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sometimes DxO simply takes time to include a new camera into PhotoLab. Perhaps because they need to test many, many lenses on the body, and build lens profiles for the camera/lens pair too.

The K-P, for example, has lens correction profiles supporting 95 lenses in PhotoLab, and I recall it took a while for PhotoLab to support K-P RAW's too.
04-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No difference with the Converter.
That is what I would expect. Adobe-generated DNG from Pentax RAW cannot be opened by PDCU either. I wonder if they work in any software other than Adobe product.

Steve
04-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I guess DxO Labs has MUCH bigger problems than compatibility with the K-1ii.

Now they are in receivership. Too bad.

Industry News: DxO Labs Goes Into Receivership
04-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hopefully they will manage to release a K-1 II update before they totally crash and burn.

I bet their current woes mostly relate to their silly DxO One phone camera dongle. Must have been very resource-draining and expensive to bring to market.
04-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

So, besides the Pentax DCU, which software is everyone using to process the K-1 II DNGs, especially PixelShift ?
04-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DxO isn't just about doing a RAW conversion; it will only operate on images where it has profiles to use.
I know what you mean, Rob, but it's a little ambiguous.

DxO OpticsPro and its successor PhotoLab will work with any supported camera, even if it doesn't have a module for the particular lens. It just won't do automatic correction for the lens if there's no module. They have supported every Pentax camera since the K10D, so it's just a matter of time with the K-1ii - assuming they trade out of receivership.

The module coverage of DA and DFA lenses is fairly comprehensive (with the notable and frustrating exception of the DA 55-300 PLM). They also support a number of more popular third party lenses in K-mount. FA coverage is the Limiteds, the FA 35 f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70 f2.8, and FA 80-200 f2.8.

They don't seem to have any support for PixelShift images.

Yes it doesn't sound good. But it's hard to know how bad this really is without knowing about French insolvency law and practice. It has been suggested that under French law, receivership is part of the process of disaggregating a corporation. It doesn't mean that they are insolvent.

Last edited by Des; 04-26-2018 at 07:52 PM.
04-28-2018, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I know what you mean, Rob, but it's a little ambiguous.

DxO OpticsPro and its successor PhotoLab will work with any supported camera, even if it doesn't have a module for the particular lens. It just won't do automatic correction for the lens if there's no module. They have supported every Pentax camera since the K10D, so it's just a matter of time with the K-1ii - assuming they trade out of receivership.

The module coverage of DA and DFA lenses is fairly comprehensive (with the notable and frustrating exception of the DA 55-300 PLM). They also support a number of more popular third party lenses in K-mount. FA coverage is the Limiteds, the FA 35 f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70 f2.8, and FA 80-200 f2.8.

They don't seem to have any support for PixelShift images.

Yes it doesn't sound good. But it's hard to know how bad this really is without knowing about French insolvency law and practice. It has been suggested that under French law, receivership is part of the process of disaggregating a corporation. It doesn't mean that they are insolvent.
Yeah, I garbled that. It will work with supported bodies with a lens it has no profile for, but not the other way around.

I hope you're right about the K-1ii support.

I do wish they'd be more flexible about allowing use of images with say generic DNGs. Especially now that they've added the Nik tools. I think the best value in the software is the fact that it's tailored to each body/lens combo, but allowing us to work with just some of the more basic features before complete support is available would be nice.