Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #16

They are calling it "Dynamic Shift Resolution System" on the English version K-1 series Special Site, dropping the "Pixel". From what I can make out the Japanese version translates to "Hand Held Real Resolution System"

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
QuoteQuote:
PENTAX’s unlimited creativity was the key to realizing handheld photography using the Dynamic Shift Resolution System newly incorporated in the PENTAX K-1 Mark II.

04-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
They are calling it "Dynamic Shift Resolution System" on the English version K-1 series Special Site, dropping the "Pixel". From what I can make out the Japanese version translates to "Hand Held Real Resolution System"

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
DSR / DSRS English Acronyms? (Better than HHPS)
04-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve - The use of flash should be possible since apparently each frame of the four-frame DPS is treated separately. You are locked out of flash with the original PS but should not be with DPS. Supposition on my part since I do not have a K-1 Mk2.
04-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Why you think that dPS is improved version of superresolution? Short test in dpreview shows that dPS in terms of resolution is not better than 1 picture made in electronic shutter mode. Normal PS gives better resolution (so, it could be named "super resolution).
Based on what is on the site right now, the dPS image does seem significantly better than the regular electronic shutter shot. I don't know if there was a problem before and it has since been corrected.

Pentax K-1 II's hand-held 'Dynamic' Pixel Shift mode is not quite what you think it is: Digital Photography Review

04-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Steve - The use of flash should be possible since apparently each frame of the four-frame DPS is treated separately.
Should is not the same as does.

Some have long felt that flash "should" be possible for regular pixel shift, but it ain't. I guess, it depends on whether the burst allows time for the flash to recharge. A close analogy to dPS is in-camera HDR. For that feature, flash is disabled if a digital protocol flash is detected. However, X-sync will fire if a digital protocol flash is not detected and shutter speed is within range for X-sync. I won't rule out flash support in dPS, but suspect that it may be accidental as with HDR.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-13-2018 at 04:13 PM.
04-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Should is not the same as does.

Some have long felt that flash "should" be possible for regular pixel shift, but it ain't. I guess, it depends on whether the burst allows time for the flash to recharge. Part of the requirement for "super resolution" is very short time span start to finish for the burst. If it does support flash, that would be cool, but I would not lay money on it one way or the other.

Steve
In theory, flash could be permitted but the power would need to be limited to 1/8th max. In practice, even small variations in the output levels (even a 1/10th of stop variation) would create artifacts in the brighter parts of the image.
04-13-2018, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
It also allows those togs who would like to use flash with Dynamic Pixel Shift to do so. Limited use case but at least it is possible now.
Hey, now! Hadn't thought of that....love it!

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 07:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
A DPR editor admitting he's wrong about Pentax... how quaint!
I just suffered a stroke.

04-14-2018, 12:32 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Poor Rishi...he has done this before and probably hates Pentax product assignments.

Steve
And seems to screw up constantly.

04-14-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Some have long felt that flash "should" be possible for regular pixel shift, but it ain't.
Well, I successfully used flash in combination with Pixel Shift.

I cheated a bit by choosing long shutter speeds and a dark room so that I could manually trigger the flash four times.

However, the same approach can be automated and then supports faster shutter speeds.

The problem is that (IIRC) the camera does not provide four trigger events.

Nevertheless, with radio triggers or flashes that support a delay function (configurable in milliseconds) you can set up four flashes that fire one after another (with their delays aligned with the timing of the four Pixel Shift exposures). Using four flashes also addresses the recycling time challenge, i.e., you could use this approach to fire four full power flashes in sequence.

As photoptmist stated, one needs to pay attention to maintaining exactly the same exposure so one would have to find some way to align four flashes so that they all provide the same exposure. Using a diffuser or a bouncing technique and/or flashes supporting 1/10 exposure adjustments should address this. I understand that RawTherapee can already account for small exposure variations between frames, so when using such a refined post-processing approach, perfectly matched exposures won't be necessary.
04-14-2018, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Rawtherapee has a feature that evens our exposure differences across pixelshift frames. Just a note for you flashers.
04-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose we need to wait until somebody confirms if the new DPS allows a flash trigger signal for each frame.
04-14-2018, 03:29 PM - 3 Likes   #27

Photos: Gallery
Tested. Dynamic Pixel shift aka handheld = 4 frames, 4 flashes fired. So yes. Possible.

flash was in manual mode. x sync does NOT allow for pixelshift of any kind. it's greyed out. camera was also in manual mode
04-15-2018, 01:29 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
Tested. Dynamic Pixel shift aka handheld = 4 frames, 4 flashes fired.
Cool, thanks for testing!

Note that this would support yet another approach to achieve full power flashes without having recycling times get in the way. A radio trigger that supports "group cycling" can be configured to fire a different flash each time it receives a trigger signal. Cycling through four groups would give one four times full power at any shutter speed. Gear-intensive, yes, but neat to have the option.
04-15-2018, 01:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Cool, thanks for testing!

Note that this would support yet another approach to achieve full power flashes without having recycling times get in the way. A radio trigger that supports "group cycling" can be configured to fire a different flash each time it receives a trigger signal. Cycling through four groups would give one four times full power at any shutter speed. Gear-intensive, yes, but neat to have the option.
Wouldn't four different flashes throw four different shadows?
04-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Wouldn't four different flashes throw four different shadows?
Yes, you'd have to make sure that the light coming from the flashes is essentially indistinguishable from another.

For instance, using a four-way flash bracket you could fire all four flashes towards the centre of an umbrella. If you then additionally bounce the output of the umbrella, I don't think it would matter anymore which of the four flashes fired.