Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

pentax k-1 with grip and L bracket

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hi guys just got my pentax k-1 and am very very happy with the pixel shift as I come form foveon and want that type of quality ...my question is if I get a grip are there any arca swiss type l brackets that will fit with the grip on the camera

04-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
pentax k-1 with grip and L bracket
I think you do, if you mean these types

Arca Swiss L
04-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
hi guys just got my pentax k-1 and am very very happy with the pixel shift as I come form foveon and want that type of quality ...my question is if I get a grip are there any arca swiss type l brackets that will fit with the grip on the camera
Better be really careful with that one. It really depends on what ball head you have. If you don't have a good ball head, it might be time to start looking at them. The camera and grip is a lot of camera. The l-grip for both needs to be strong and well made, and fit the ball head clamp perfectly.
Terry
04-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

3 legged Thing make a very good universal L bracket. Arca Swiss. They have 2 types and 2 colors.

QR11-LC-Equinox Copper, short side arm. QR11-LG-Eclipse Grey, short side arm. QR11-FBC-Equinox Copper, Long side arm for use with battery grips. QR11-FBG-Eclipse Grey, long side arm for use with battery grips.

Pentax is in the TIER 3 COMPATIBILITY, ( PENTAX - K-1, K-3 II, K-50, K-70, K-S2 ) The following cameras support the QR11, but access to the cable and battery doors is impeded. You have to remove L-Bracket to access battery. The base plate does alow the bracket to fit with access to battery, without grip. You just have to have the side arm about 2cm gap off the side of the camera.

I have the QR11-LG. Works great. No battery grip.

3 Legged Thing - L Brackets

Last edited by Craig66; 04-13-2018 at 05:36 PM.
04-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I found this one on B&H. Specifically made for the K-1

Kirk BL-K1N L-Bracket for Pentax K1 BL-K1N B&H Photo Video

No clue how good it is though. I just ran across it.

I bought a 3 Legged thing L bracket for my K-5 but still need a new ball head that is Arca Swiss Compatible. Until then, it is a paper weight.

But now with the K1M2 sitting in my bag, I might just have to get a new tripod w/ the right ballhead and so I can actually use my L bracket.
04-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got a Desmond L plate and noticed an issue with fitting that or maybe any L plate to the K-1ii.

The USB door on the side (which I'd obvious prefer to cover over the SD cover) has a bit of a lip that hits the vertical post of the L plate. But it is the short side, so you can just move the bracket a bit outwards to clear it. But I think I'm gonna mold some Sugru on the bracket maybe so that it has some reinforcement against rotation. Or maybe use it on the K-3ii I have (and maybe will sell) since it's USB door doesn't have the little raised lip.

BTW, the Desmond I bought is cool in that it has a big, like 1", rotating tripod screw head so it's MUCH easier to put on and take off; no coin, screwdriver or fingernail needed. It will take a longer L bracket than the one I have to work with the extra battery case. Might need at least 110mm depending on how far out the screw slot goes.

Last edited by Oakland Rob; 04-13-2018 at 06:00 PM.
04-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I use the QR11-LC on a k50 and one on a k3. Love them.

04-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
hi guys thanks for the replies ill explain my tripod head or send a link to it Induro PHQ3 PHQ Series 5-Way Panhead PHQ3 B&H Photo Video

I could have got the really rite stuff ball head but for me I just don't like ball heads .the head ive got is so well made and I can fold the handles its proberly one of the best ive had and I have had some of the pricey arca swiss heads ..I love the k-1 but on my first outing I thought the battery life wasn't great but then again im sure pixel shift takes a lot of that ..so I though if I get the battery grip I would need an L bracket but looks like it will cover the battery door ..not sure what to do as I like portrait mode for certain landscape shots I suppose I could forget the grip but I like the balance a camera gives with the grip ...don't know what to do lol ....but thx for the quick response guys and I love the pentax and it looks like great forum with great people
04-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
thx angerdan ill proberly get the grip and use my head to do the potrait
04-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
hi guys ended up getting this one and its almost the same as the really rite stuff ..very very well made and no play so im really happy

Genesis PLL-K1 - ?L?- type quick release plate for Pentax K-1 - Foto-Tip
04-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks for letting us know your choice. Do you like to create an entry in the DB and write an review about it?
Currently there's only one L-plate in the accessoires DB:
L Bracket FITTEST FK5L L Plate QR For Pentax K5 Bo L Bracket reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
04-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
hi guys ended up getting this one and its almost the same as the really rite stuff ..very very well made and no play so im really happy

Genesis PLL-K1 - ?L?- type quick release plate for Pentax K-1 - Foto-Tip
I have that bracket and it fits really well to the camera. The downside is the Allen bolt which secures the plate to the camera. In less than a year of use the bolt is showing signs of burring from the allen key. The metal the bolt is made from is too soft in my opinion and I am concerned one day i wont be able to get it off ! The recess for the bolt head is also very small and will not allow a replacement bolt with a handle/coin slot (like a Gitzo).
04-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I have that bracket and it fits really well to the camera. The downside is the Allen bolt which secures the plate to the camera. In less than a year of use the bolt is showing signs of burring from the allen key. The metal the bolt is made from is too soft in my opinion and I am concerned one day i wont be able to get it off ! The recess for the bolt head is also very small and will not allow a replacement bolt with a handle/coin slot (like a Gitzo).
What about a replacement button head allen screw? I can't tell from the pictures on the website, but it looks like a normal one would fit. Socket button head, Stainless steel 18-8, 1/4"-20 - Bolt Depot
04-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
What about a replacement button head allen screw? I can't tell from the pictures on the website, but it looks like a normal one would fit. Socket button head, Stainless steel 18-8, 1/4"-20 - Bolt Depot

I just bought 100gr of Allen bolt head for €1