Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
With all good camera we have available, I think it's time to use and enjoy what we have.
I second your motion!

04-30-2018, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Mike is a fantastic asset.

Lately, he's been very energetic and if he spots an inflammatory/poorly worded post, he gets in with a very respectful but correcting response before the rest of us do.

That'd be quite draining, I don't know how much longer he can keep doing that, but he's a quality person for even attempting it.
He's like the LeBron James of moderating...
04-30-2018, 03:12 AM - 4 Likes   #378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@clackers and @Rondec - you really are too kind. Very much appreciated & thank you sincerely

Occasionally, some folks forget (or may not realise) that I'm a regular member here first and foremost, and I use these forums like everyone else for learning, help (in both directions) and sociable discussion / debate. Many of my thread replies, and my efforts to keep things objective and friendly, are from my position as an active forum member and Pentax shooter. But because I have the word "Moderator" under my user name, I can see why my personal contributions might sometimes be confused with attempts to interfere and over-reach my moderating responsibilities. That's never my intent, though

Anyway... back to the K-1II
04-30-2018, 06:01 PM - 4 Likes   #379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
@clackers and @Rondec - you really are too kind. Very much appreciated & thank you sincerely

Occasionally, some folks forget (or may not realise) that I'm a regular member here first and foremost, and I use these forums like everyone else for learning, help (in both directions) and sociable discussion / debate. Many of my thread replies, and my efforts to keep things objective and friendly, are from my position as an active forum member and Pentax shooter. But because I have the word "Moderator" under my user name, I can see why my personal contributions might sometimes be confused with attempts to interfere and over-reach my moderating responsibilities. That's never my intent, though

Not really off-topic: that makes you the de-noise reduction engine of the forum. Keeping signal high and all that. Cheers!

04-30-2018, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #380
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
that makes you the de-noise reduction engine of the forum.
Oh Nose! The fabled eater of trolls!!!

Steve
05-06-2018, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Could make you biased?
05-06-2018, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Could make you biased?
Do you mean brand biased?

In addition to Pentax I shoot, and really like, Sony gear (and I'm a non-moderating member of an E-mount forum). I also shoot a Sony A99-based A-mount Hasselblad HV. For some specific applications, I actually prefer my Sony gear over Pentax...

I've said here on the forums several times that I don't do brand loyalty. I shoot what I like and what works for me. I'm not a brand ambassador - I'm a hobbyist. I have no doubt I could be happy with ANY brand of camera; I just happen to like my Pentax gear.

I consider myself to be a fairly level-headed bloke with balanced opinions. If anyone chooses to suspect I'm biased, that's up to them - but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect their courtesy, if not an open mind
05-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #383
Pentaxian

Original Poster
See this: Mandatory Noise Reduction (NR) in Various Pentax Cameras: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It fully confirms my findings. ISO400 is about the last stop after which there is no point pushing it in-camera. Instead push it in post if you want to get more details.

Same game here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-ii-review/11

05-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #384
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
See this: Mandatory Noise Reduction (NR) in Various Pentax Cameras: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It fully confirms my findings. ISO400 is about the last stop after which there is no point pushing it in-camera. Instead push it in post if you want to get more details.

Same game here: Pentax K-1 II Review: Worth the upgrade?: Digital Photography Review
Regarding the second link, someone apparently found out and wrote in the comments that they botched the test scene, by testing the two cameras with different lenses, one of which misaligned, if I got it right.
05-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #385
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I am not sure he* said that. He said that NR starts lower on the K-1II than on other Pentax models and that it is not the same sort of thing that is done by Sony models.

While there might be some satisfaction from pushing in post (NR artifact is minimized), there is no magic generation of detail or tonality. Pushing in post is merely calling low signal high or in some cases, "black --> gray". It does nothing to change loss of detail and tonality due to low-value clipping. Translation...clip and its gone. Pushing is an illusion. A better strategy might be to respect the ISO 400 threshold and increase the light to the sensor to ensure that available detail is captured. If the subject tonal range exceeds the camera dynamic range (clipping on one or both ends), bracket and merge in post (i.e. HDR).

Steve

* Bill, forum member bclaff

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2018 at 02:31 PM.
05-07-2018, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #386
Pentaxian

Same game here: Pentax K-1 II Review: Worth the upgrade?: Digital Photography Review
And your post confirms my findings that you prefer reproducing sensor artifacts ie. noise , than having an honest reproduction of the scene. If adding more details means doing more noise, it means rendering the images useless from a reality abased perspective.

You do realize there is no noise in nature? It's a product of sensor technology don't you? As posted previously, I have far more images ruined by noise than I have ruined by lack of resolution. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
05-07-2018, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #387
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Regarding the second link, someone apparently found out and wrote in the comments that they botched the test scene, by testing the two cameras with different lenses, one of which misaligned, if I got it right.
Indeed, they used different lenses - the FA 77mm f/1.8 on the K-1, and the D FA 50mm f/2.8 macro on the K-1 II. The macro is supposedly an excellent lens, however...
Check the cards at ISO 100: they looks slightly out of focus. Something is wrong.

IIRC, their first K-1 tests were softer - due to a bad FA 77mm sample, they said. They repeated the tests, after people noticed and complained.
05-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #388

OP was right after all...

So, OP was right after all...Let's give him a credit for that.

Now it's pretty clear that new K-1II is not such a update that some might wish for. But let's be positive - this is a great opportunity to save some money! Maybe there isn't a good reason to upgrade ;-)

Pentax K-1 II Review: Worth the upgrade?: Digital Photography Review

Mandatory Noise Reduction (NR) in Various Pentax Cameras: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #389
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aikaarska Quote
Now it's pretty clear that new K-1II is not such a update that some might wish for. But let's be positive - this is a great opportunity to save some money! Maybe there isn't a good reason to upgrade ;-)
Yep...price drop of $200 USD on the K-1, while supplies last...

Steve
05-07-2018, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aikaarska Quote
Now it's pretty clear that new K-1II is not such a update that some might wish for.
Perhaps not... and, yet, it's a great update for those who value cleaner files. I've yet to see anyone reproduce the same clean output and detail reproduction on high ISO K-1 files using post-processing software (I played with comparison files from both the K-1 and K-1II in Lightroom 6).

Some people are going to be very happy with the K-1II, others - like the OP - less so. Personally, I suspect I'd be very happy with one... then again, I shoot a Sony A7 MkII alongside my Pentax gear, and apparently it eats stars. I wouldn't know. What I do know is, for my own photography, it produces great-looking RAW files...