Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,735
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is not the usual view; apparently they are getting more upgrade requests than they expected.
K-1 II upgrade program extended in Canada due to unexpectedly high demand - PentaxForums.com
Spoke with Precision in the U.S. today, and they are waiting on the next round of upgrade parts, and the person I spoke to said demand was much higher than anticipated.

09-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #557
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,267
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is not the usual view; apparently they are getting more upgrade requests than they expected.
K-1 II upgrade program extended in Canada due to unexpectedly high demand - PentaxForums.com
I know they are. I'm waiting for a proper upgrade
09-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2017
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 313
I'm not quite sure what the point was of the astro pictures on the previous page. Other than maybe for star trails, no one is going to use a long exposure at a high ISO. It's a given that noise is going to increase on any sensor when doing that. Especially with non-cooled DSLR sensors. That's why one stacks with dark frames, to get rid of that noise. And uses a tracking mechanism(either astrotracer or a tracking mount) to allow longer exposure at a lower ISO without trailing. And the comparison pic is very obviously a short exposure, as the stars are fairly round with little trailing.
09-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #559
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,267
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
I'm not quite sure what the point was of the astro pictures on the previous page. Other than maybe for star trails, no one is going to use a long exposure at a high ISO. It's a given that noise is going to increase on any sensor when doing that. Especially with non-cooled DSLR sensors. That's why one stacks with dark frames, to get rid of that noise. And uses a tracking mechanism(either astrotracer or a tracking mount) to allow longer exposure at a lower ISO without trailing. And the comparison pic is very obviously a short exposure, as the stars are fairly round with little trailing.
Im not sure, but I think he tried to show that due to noise suppression star trails are thick and less defined with K-1 II.

09-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #560
Pentaxian
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,424
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Yeah, so...

I took this as a part of my new series.



K-1 mk2, Samyang 35/1.4 (perfect sample), ISO800, DNG RAW, Lightroom 7.3 default sharpening settings

Closer look at lower left corner:



Horrible pixel level quality @ ISO800 (looks like cellphone image) from a sensor which gave a lot better results back in 2012 in D800(E) Nikon body. This is looking like filtering what happens with Sony A7x bodies after 3.2second exposures. Some examples of Sony filtered mess @ 100% crop:





Upper Sony crop is from a distant landscape, lower is part of a sand pile filtered to mush. That crop from K-1 MK2 is not far off. Everything in the crops are in perfect focus with lens stopped down far enough.
I would guess it's a type of visual censorship because the subject is dead!
09-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2017
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 313
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Im not sure, but I think he tried to show that due to noise suppression star trails are thick and less defined with K-1 II.
Could be, but absent a comparison from a K-1 Mark 1, or another similar high-end DSLR using the same exposure settings, it's hard to tell if what is shown is good or bad. And star trail photography is an even smaller niche than regular astro or Milky Way photography, so I'm not sure that Pentax would care one way or another about poor performance there, if it's better in general low-light photography.
And don't get me wrong, some of the night photos MJKoski has posted are great, and I get his general question...I'm just not sure that post added much.
10-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #562
KX5
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 67
Firmware update?

As i know only the firmware 1.02 has been created a long time ago for the K1ii. What about the noise reduction issue with this firmware? Does anybody know?
I loved my K1 shots @6400 iso and i hesitate to upgrade with the new K1ii for that reason.
My postprocessing from RAW doen't eliminate noise -or just a little bit- for the reason i prefer details than less noise.
I don't know if Pentax staff made some adjustments to correct it or even commented officially that.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
accelerator, camera, claims, crop, dslr, exposure, full frame, full-frame, image, information, iso800, iv, k-1, k-1 mk2, k1, mess, mk2, op, pentax k-1, sensor, settings, software, sony, unit
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Best moderate priced macro lens for newbie HGMerrill Photographic Technique 18 10-20-2014 06:08 PM
Old Moderate Mitt is Back! boriscleto General Talk 3 10-10-2012 02:12 PM
"Moderate" Mitt jeffkrol General Talk 2 10-08-2012 01:59 PM
Excesive noise in moderate light, please help Al_s14 Pentax K-r 4 08-03-2011 03:28 PM
Pentax lens all-in-one with moderate zoom fevbusch Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 01-27-2007 05:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top