Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Agreed.

I'd like to see the "star eater" comparison baseline... i.e. Camera A recorded *these* stars (A, B, C etc.) whilst camera B (the K-1II) didn't, or only recorded some of them...
I'd like too, more this kind of comparisons, also with different ISO values:

https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~forums/61004247/064406d267d44881b362db2843d9aab5

(K-1 left, K-1M2 right, both ISO800, DNG, both pushed two stops in Lightroom)

This looks quite much what Sony's "star eater" spatial filtering do:

"Star eating" is a much bigger issue than I thought...: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

A7rIII 'Star Eater' test and a typical night scene: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Star Eater and Pixel Shift test: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Maybe we should do petition against Pentax new forced NR algorithm too?

Petition · Sony Remove Star Eater (EN) · Change.org

04-18-2018, 02:05 AM   #47
Pentaxian

I consider posters making claims about raw file Features without providing those raw files at least liars.
In many cases there is even worse quality of Users.
04-18-2018, 02:56 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I consider posters making claims about raw file Features without providing those raw files at least liars.
In many cases there is even worse quality of Users.
You can download some raw files from here:

Digicamera.net - Valokuvausfoorumi ? katso viestiketjua - Pentax K-1

Happy PP time ;-)

Ari
04-18-2018, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aikaarska Quote
I don't see your claims supported at all. The first link has different information in the images than you give, ISO800 left, ISO3200 right. The image look slightly different, but there is a difference in the cropped area. The left seems to have more contrast/higher acutance, but at full view I can not identifie a single pixel of information that would not be present at the right image. Sometimes higher noise with higher acutance can also lead to the impression of higher sharpness, but there is not more information, only artefacts.

I guess you understand if people are critical to such claims without evidence, from a user with a do dozen posts, right?

04-18-2018, 03:59 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I had a quick look at the RAWs - I notice no smoothing in the ISO800 RAW. At ISO3200 the noise is masking detail already.
However, those are low light (EV5) shots... and it looks to be tungsten light, making things worse.

By the way, Silkypix has different NR defaults for each ISO, even between ISO 100 and ISO 800, and I'd assume it's not the only software behaving this way
04-18-2018, 04:03 AM   #51
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I guess you understand if people are critical to such claims without evidence, from a user with a do dozen posts, right?
Well, he did post the link to Finnish site with some useful test shots. On the site was also a link to original DNG files. For convenience I copy the test jpg shots below and if somebody is interested to download the originals click here.

ISO100:

ISO400:

ISO800:

ISO1600:

ISO3200:

To me it seems that op has find something worth consideration. It would be nice to see direct comparison between mk1 and mk2 thought this probably is irrelevant for my purposes as I don't print large.
04-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I don't see your claims supported at all. The first link has different information in the images than you give, ISO800 left, ISO3200 right. The image look slightly different, but there is a difference in the cropped area. The left seems to have more contrast/higher acutance, but at full view I can not identifie a single pixel of information that would not be present at the right image. Sometimes higher noise with higher acutance can also lead to the impression of higher sharpness, but there is not more information, only artefacts.

Uups, this is my mistake indeed,sorry. I did not notice that ISO difference. Anyway more samples needed in order to draw proper conclusions.

---------- Post added 04-18-18 at 04:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Well,

To me it seems that op has find something worth consideration. It would be nice to see direct comparison between mk1 and mk2 thought this probably is irrelevant for my purposes as I don't print large.
Yes, there is indeed something worth consideration...mk1 handle >ISO800 exposures differently. Maybe better if you want see details in shadows etc

04-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can download some raw files from here:

Digicamera.net - Valokuvausfoorumi ? katso viestiketjua - Pentax K-1

Happy PP time ;-)

Ari
Apparently we are not the only folk requesting documentation and RAW files, though it would have been more helpful to not send us on a chase to find the link.

Goggle Translate:
Digicamera.net: Forum Post
And for convenience...the link for download:
2018-04-16.7z - Google Drive
BTW...what does one use to unpack a 7z archive?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-18-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
04-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...what does one use to unpack a 7z archive?
7z Format

The only file compression I use these days.
04-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
7z Format

The only file compression I use these days.
Translation: Download the 7-Zip archive software
7-Zip
Linux users and MacOS user will find download links on the downloads page. Other products such as WinRAR may also work.

Steve
04-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like this K1 II made some waves around CP+, but I still haven't seen anything showing why I should buy the K1 II, and I don't see much activity about this model. A few people bought it, but they don't show anything worth considering, except silence.
04-18-2018, 01:57 PM - 3 Likes   #57

I just can't believe I downloaded several underexposed, bad white balanced shots of fur. At least now I know how to extract a 7z file.
04-18-2018, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
I just can't believe I downloaded several underexposed, bad white balanced shots of fur. At least now I know how to extract a 7z file.
The day, indeed, is not wasted.

Steve
04-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The day, indeed, is not wasted.

Steve
...underexposure is not a waste either, if you are testing the camera's performance - and know what you are doing ;-)
04-18-2018, 02:21 PM - 3 Likes   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...underexposure is not a waste either, if you are testing the camera's performance - and know what you are doing ;-)
Best to test one thing at a time.

Steve