Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 322 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think he is comparing it to the D800, D810, and A7r, all of which have some version of the 36 megapixel sensor. I forget why, but there was some issue with the original K-1 that he didn't like -- something about color shifts with image stacking of 200 images -- something like that.
that, and hot pixels I believe, something that I also see quite a bit if I turn NR off.

04-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think he is comparing it to the D800, D810, and A7r, all of which have some version of the 36 megapixel sensor. I forget why, but there was some issue with the original K-1 that he didn't like -- something about color shifts with image stacking of 200 images -- something like that.
I guess different people have different needs. The K-1 looks very good under DxOMark testing - a virtual tie
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-1-versus-Nikon...__1075_963_917

Last edited by reh321; 04-26-2018 at 11:55 AM.
04-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess different people have different needs. The K-1 looks very good under DxOMark testing - a virtual tie
Pentax K-1 vs Nikon D810 vs Sony A7R
I think OP's case was a pretty specific one - not sure DXomark would test for that specific method
04-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #304
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Right, there no free lunch.

But that does not mean that Ricoh can't invest money in R&D to build non-destructive noise reduction processes in a custom chip and then sell you that lunch.
They can always try. But so far the only real improvement in terms of noise has been out there below -30C temps. That is a barrier after which otherwise noisy (long exposures) 42MP Sony chip begins to reach 8-10min easily without LENR. 36MP variant goes to 10-15mins depending on the camera model.

04-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #305
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A DSLR with a built in freezer unit, that really would be a first for Prntax
04-26-2018, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #306

Hi all,

I've arrived to this forum looking for info about the Pentax K1 Mark II. I don't know if you already knew this link Pentax K-1 versus K-1 Mark II: altas sensibilidades - Tienda Pentaxeros It's a side by side ISO comparison between the K1 and the K1 II. It's in spanish, but I guess it's not a problem for translators :-). Sorry if it was already posted.

Greetings!
04-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by majareta Quote
Hi all,

I've arrived to this forum looking for info about the Pentax K1 Mark II. I don't know if you already knew this link Pentax K-1 versus K-1 Mark II: altas sensibilidades - Tienda Pentaxeros It's a side by side ISO comparison between the K1 and the K1 II. It's in spanish, but I guess it's not a problem for translators :-). Sorry if it was already posted.

Greetings!
Odd, looks like the k-1 image in the first and second chart is sharpened, and top one (k-1 2) isn't.

04-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #308
Veteran Member

It's a side by side ISO comparison between the K1 and the K1 II.
Handy test chart shots and full-size JPEGs. Starting from ISO 3200, which is very useful.

On these shots, seems like Accelerator unit is working well, for noise, colour saturation and detail up until about ISO 51200.
04-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #309
Pentaxian

The pinkness of the middle grey levels on the K-1 is slightly alarming, in that it seems to increase inconsistently at ISO 6400, but then is much reduced at 128000.

But the K-1 II seems to have much significantly less pinkness in this area, overall.
04-27-2018, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #310
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for posting this!

Looking at the ISO 6400 comparison, I see a slightly odd diagonal line artefact (sloping down from left to right) in the more pastel-like shades for the K-1II - especially cyan, green, red and black. Anyone else notice that, or am I imagining it? Actually, I see it in the pastel red and black on the K-1 shots too, but less so. I wonder if it's the printing process of colours on the test chart that I can see...

Otherwise, from a noise-handling perspective the K-1II looks good - within the limitations of the test charts, at least...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-27-2018 at 12:11 AM.
04-27-2018, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums, and thank you for posting this!

Looking at the ISO 6400 comparison, I see a slightly odd diagonal line artefact (sloping down from left to right) in the more pastel-like shades for the K-1II - especially cyan, green, red and black. Anyone else notice that, or am I imagining it? Actually, I see it in the pastel red and black on the K-1 shots too, but less so. I wonder if it's the printing process of colours on the test chart that I can see...

Otherwise, from a noise-handling perspective the K-1II looks good - within the limitations of the test charts, at least...
I see it too. If you notice, the lines in the cyan are at a different angle. In half tone printing, different colors are printed at different screen angles, You may be seeing the screen angles that the colors were printed at. Since screen angle offsets are in 15 degree increments applying a protractor to the image may prove this. As noise increase the ISO increases, the lines are literally becoming lost in the noise. It is called banding and for 17 years it was the bane of my existence. Always the worst service calls.

Below is just one of many screen angle set possibilities.

And a Grande Bienvenido a bordo to majareta too. Thank you for the link.

Last edited by gaweidert; 04-27-2018 at 05:12 AM.
04-27-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #312
Pentaxian

Yes, there are diagonal line artifacts and they certainly look like the effect gaweidert discusses.

Perhaps another problem with OP's image and these images come from not turning on the AA-simulator (or the simulated AA is not strong enough) while taking shots of high-detail images with a good lens. Without proper low-pass filtering, there are going to be unavoidable artifacts with a Bayer filter sensor and a high-detail image.
04-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #313
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
RAW converter artifact? I am unfamiliar with the XnConvert product and after a short bit of research, find it a strange choice.

Steve
04-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #314
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I see it too. If you notice, the lines in the cyan are at a different angle. In half tone printing, different colors are printed at different screen angles, You may be seeing the screen angles that the colors were printed at. Since screen angle offsets are in 15 degree increments applying a protractor to the image may prove this. As noise increase the ISO increases, the lines are literally becoming lost in the noise. It is called banding and for 17 years it was the bane of my existence. Always the worst service calls.
Fascinating! Thanks for this

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, there are diagonal line artifacts and they certainly look like the effect gaweidert discusses.

Perhaps another problem with OP's image and these images come from not turning on the AA-simulator (or the simulated AA is not strong enough) while taking shots of high-detail images with a good lens. Without proper low-pass filtering, there are going to be unavoidable artifacts with a Bayer filter sensor and a high-detail image.
Again, interesting - hadn't thought of that!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
RAW converter artifact? I am unfamiliar with the XnConvert product and after a short bit of research, find it a strange choice.
Could be. After gaweidert's interesting printing lesson, I'm leaning towards the assumption that these lines might actually be on the colour chart, and that the K-1 and K-1II are simply reproducing them slightly differently (although that, too, could be down to the RAW converter).
04-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #315
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Excellent explanation. I have often wondered about test shots taken of half-tone printed charts using high resolution digital cameras.

Steve