Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 Mk2 DA 300 TC

A question for this fountain of knowledge:
If I am reading things correctly it appears that the DA* 300 is now classified as a FF lens for use on the K1 Mk2, as is the DA* 200. True or False ?
If True....what TC is recommended for use on the K1 ? (I have the latest 1.4 on my K3)
Thanks.

04-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as I know the DA*300 has always been listed as FF capable by Pentax.

The only available Pentax TC is the HD 1.4x rear converter. It is not full frame capable and will cause vignetting on some but not all lenses. It does function with the DA*300 but the vignetting is unacceptable to me. YMMV.
04-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
As far as I know the DA*300 has always been listed as FF capable by Pentax.

The only available Pentax TC is the HD 1.4x rear converter. It is not full frame capable and will cause vignetting on some but not all lenses. It does function with the DA*300 but the vignetting is unacceptable to me. YMMV.
Thanks for that. What about the Sigma TC's ... are they an option ?
04-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
What about the Sigma TC's ... are they an option ?
No experience with them sorry. I do know they cannot be used with all lenses. There used to be a list on the Sigma site, not sure if it is still there. There are a couple other TC's that support SDM lenses but it is sometimes hard to be sure from the description.

List of third party TC's: Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Teleconverters (All Brands) - Pentax Lens Review Database

And a thread with some additional info: Teleconverter challenge Sigma vs Kenko vs Tamron X1.4 - PentaxForums.com

Hopefully Pentax will produce a FF TC at some point but I imagine that is a fairly low priority.

04-20-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
If I am reading things correctly it appears that the DA* 300 is now classified as a FF lens for use on the K1 Mk2, as is the DA* 200. True or False ?
Very true. The K1 can apply lens corrections to both these lenses in FF and in crop mode. The default operating setting will be crop mode, so make sure you set your mode to FF, not Auto.
04-21-2018, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used the DA*300 on the K-1 quite a bit, and can confirm it works superbly in Full Frame mode.

When I need more reach than I could get with cropping I use the Pentax HD DA teleconverter in Crop Mode (or on a crop body).
04-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm playing with the Pentax-F 1.7x AF on my K-1. In general, I think I'm liking it, but need to do more testing. I have used the DFA 150-450, DA 60-250 and DA 50-135. In some attempts at detailed comparisons, I did some shots with the 150-450 where i resampled to match with and without the adapter. It was mixed, Some shots were better with the 1.7x, and some were better just upsizing. It left me feeling I need to run through some more paying close attention to aperture to see if there was a sweetspot for the 1.7x, and I think there was. I also want to do some testing with primes. You will also note that I have played with the DA 50-135, which on it's own vignettes badly on full frame, but with the 1.7x, it does fine. Actually makes sense that the 1.7x magnification takes a piece of the smaller image circle and makes it big enough to cover the full frame format - pretty cool!

So bottom line is the 1.7x will give you full frame coverage, and it may or may not be better than just upsampling your image. You may find you can also now use crop lenses. It does introduce a lot of CA, and you'll want to remove purple fringing in post. I'd say if you suffer from LBA and want to play and have the funds, it may not be bad to look for one. If you're on a budget and want max bang for the buck, I can not recommend it over saving up for the DA* 300.

04-23-2018, 12:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have used the DA*300 on the K-1 quite a bit, and can confirm it works superbly in Full Frame mode.

When I need more reach than I could get with cropping I use the Pentax HD DA teleconverter in Crop Mode (or on a crop body).
Thanks Sandy...appreciate that.

---------- Post added 04-23-18 at 06:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm playing with the Pentax-F 1.7x AF on my K-1. In general, I think I'm liking it, but need to do more testing. I have used the DFA 150-450, DA 60-250 and DA 50-135. In some attempts at detailed comparisons, I did some shots with the 150-450 where i resampled to match with and without the adapter. It was mixed, Some shots were better with the 1.7x, and some were better just upsizing. It left me feeling I need to run through some more paying close attention to aperture to see if there was a sweetspot for the 1.7x, and I think there was. I also want to do some testing with primes. You will also note that I have played with the DA 50-135, which on it's own vignettes badly on full frame, but with the 1.7x, it does fine. Actually makes sense that the 1.7x magnification takes a piece of the smaller image circle and makes it big enough to cover the full frame format - pretty cool!

So bottom line is the 1.7x will give you full frame coverage, and it may or may not be better than just upsampling your image. You may find you can also now use crop lenses. It does introduce a lot of CA, and you'll want to remove purple fringing in post. I'd say if you suffer from LBA and want to play and have the funds, it may not be bad to look for one. If you're on a budget and want max bang for the buck, I can not recommend it over saving up for the DA* 300.
Thankyou, already have the lenses, its the body I am adding to the arsenal. Appreciate the info. Cheers
04-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No experience with them sorry. I do know they cannot be used with all lenses. There used to be a list on the Sigma site, not sure if it is still there. There are a couple other TC's that support SDM lenses but it is sometimes hard to be sure from the description.

List of third party TC's: Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Teleconverters (All Brands) - Pentax Lens Review Database

And a thread with some additional info: Teleconverter challenge Sigma vs Kenko vs Tamron X1.4 - PentaxForums.com

Hopefully Pentax will produce a FF TC at some point but I imagine that is a fairly low priority.
I have a Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus MC Teleconverter and have used it on my K1Mark II when paired with my FA*300 f4.5. Focus is fast and reliable. I have used it on stationary items, but haven't tried it on moving objects such as birds. Hope to give it a try this weekend.
04-26-2018, 03:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I have a Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus MC Teleconverter and have used it on my K1Mark II when paired with my FA*300 f4.5. Focus is fast and reliable. I have used it on stationary items, but haven't tried it on moving objects such as birds. Hope to give it a try this weekend.
Thanks for responding, it is appreciated.