Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The dog looks significantly sharper to me on the second one. But I initially thought the K-1 was the first one, due to what appeared to be less depth of field with the mossy log behind the tree on the left. But maybe there is a focus difference between the two shots, as well?

05-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
well to me that little more of DR to bring up face details and little a bit softer Oof did point out which one is which. once again small details, and also little more crisp Dfa 100. I did confirm my thoughts by looking it up, but honestly I could see the difference even from shots from this thread. Now is that enough to justify the purchase? That is a good question. thanks for pointing that out Norm.
And that for me is the issue, there is a small difference, but is it wirth paying so much more for.

Without the sunsets, and high dynamic range images the K-3 holds up very nicely. In my series of images for this thread, the last image with Pixel shift stands out for me as the real winner, but Pixel Shift is available on APS-c and the K-1, things might have been different if I could have compared Pixel Shift APS-c to the K-1 without.

But I bought the K-1 for landscape, sunsets and other high Dynamic Range situations, and so far I haven't test for those. I need a good sunset where I can set up two tripods.

---------- Post added 05-07-18 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The dog looks significantly sharper to me on the second one. But I initially thought the K-1 was the first one, due to what appeared to be less depth of field with the mossy log behind the tree on the left. But maybe there is a focus difference between the two shots, as well?
The two lenses are so different in the way they handle FoV before infinity, especially close to the lens, I really am prepared to toss the whole concept of equivalence. The DFA 100 is much wider focussing close to minimum focussing difference, I actually had to crop the DFA 100 images to make them the same FoV as the Sigma 70 images.

I have always suspected that other characteristics of the lens probably messed up equivalence, which should only be considered a thing if the two lenses have the same optical formula. As far as I can tell, the whole theory of equivalence is compromised by the various ways of constructing complex lenses. Equivalence is probably only valid for simple one element lenses.

Math is precise. There is simply precision to be expected from applying a theory based on a single glass element to lenses with 13-17 elements. The problems should be obvious.

Last edited by normhead; 05-07-2018 at 06:37 AM.
05-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And that for me is the issue, there is a small difference, but is it wirth paying so much more for.
Pixel Shift is available on APS-c and the K-1, things might have been different if I could have compared Pixel Shift APS-c to the K-1 without.
But I bought the K-1 for landscape, sunsets and other high Dynamic Range situations, and so far I haven't test for those. I need a good sunset where I can set up two tripods.[COLOR="Silver"]
there you go. if those are the real differences, then it might be overkill to have K-1 If you don’t like flippy screen, handling and bigger VF. aps-c has faster FPS to shoot HDR and PS when possible. And later you can use it even handheld.

to me it is important to get that little bit more with one shot. and possibility to get a lot more with PS. I also like those fat files, and difference 5hat I get with my lenses(wide is WIDE and normal lenses have more depth in them. but if one shoots equivalent focal and don’t need the difference what comes from 85 mm versus 55 or to have less correction needed to get 20 mm foV or want that look from 100 mm lens instead of 60 something. then there is little or no reason to get FF. Dof is not ’that much’ better. well it is when shooting little wider fast lenses, but still.

edit: not all likes that shallow dof wide shots or in general, so then it is not important.
06-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I still haven't bought one... but I would take one if I won the contest this month... LOL.

06-28-2018, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I still haven't bought one... but I would take one if I won the contest this month... LOL.
It is dangerous to buy K-1 or even receive one for free. Mine seemd to create some LBA...but seriously, K-1 adds a lot of resolution. I also took a good look of 645 Z in one shop. Boy. It is packed with better resolution and all, but it sure is also big! So K-1 seems perfect for what it is.
06-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is dangerous to buy K-1 or even receive one for free. Mine seemd to create some LBA...but seriously, K-1 adds a lot of resolution. I also took a good look of 645 Z in one shop. Boy. It is packed with better resolution and all, but it sure is also big! So K-1 seems perfect for what it is.
K1 is good...