Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A K-1 effectively only adds 200 grams (the same weight as your FA50) to your standard kit, if you leave the K-3 at home.
It also adds larger files, especially in pixel shift that may slow your processing down. Do you need larger cards, or better PC?.
With your kit, I'd imagine you have enough bags so that's a plus.
The flip side to not getting one is, how are you going to make the nagging want go away?, just shooting film again only feeds it.

You might want to consider the K-1 + Prime only as a combination, keeping weight down.
if not, maybe get the 28-105 and lose the least used lenses to the cause.

Another consideration, would you still want APS-C once you have a K-1, if not you'll miss out on the 11-18 if that has any appeal.

All that change can work out expensive so start a spreadsheet on the combos and costs, with an eye to the eventual outcome, and then ask is it worth it?
The problem many of us face, is that even if the answer is no, that won't settle it if you really want one.

Put the replacement car off another year and the savings in depreciation on that car magically pays for the body.
Yeah, that did it

04-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

This is what I would have done. Stay with K3, skip K1 and buy MF. I think the frame wise the difference between K3 and K1 is not that big(this is subjective). I made the mistake of buying K1 without asking do I really need it. Additionally, technology is changing rapidly so I would wait until it stabilizes a bit and then buy.

High DR & Pixel shift are plus points for K1.

Last edited by pentaxfall; 04-26-2018 at 09:57 AM.
04-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say if you do a lot of landscape or astro, it's a no-brainer to go K-1. The 15-30 is great for those, and the size compared to the DA15 doesn't really matter in those situations, as it's almost always on a tripod. And for walking around, the 28-105 is a great option.
Same with pro-level studio or product photography.
OTOH, if it's travel, wildlife, or sports I'd probably stick with APS-C
04-26-2018, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are a lot of good points in this discussion. I think the bottom line comes down to this: The K-1 is a "want," but not a "need" for you. If you want it bad enough, get it.

I use the FA* 24 on my K-1 and it's amazing. I've always liked the FA* 24 so much more than the DA 15 (I have owned both). Like others have said here, the FA Limited lenses are magic on the K-1. I always preferred the FA 43 on APS-C, but now the FA 77 is my go-to on FF. The size isn't a big deal (link below for some comparison photos), and I also enjoy the DA 40 XS on my K-1. The two lenses I use the most with the K-1 include the FA* 80-200 and FA 77.

When I bought the K-1, I wrote a brief review discussing some of the things most reviews didn't cover: Ks, 1s, and 0s - My Journey from the K1000 to the K10D to the K-1 (Lots of Photos) - PentaxForums.com. Hopefully this helps.

04-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure I can convince you towards a K-1.

I'm a happy K-3 II user. One of my main concerns - in addition to the cost - has been the added weight and bulk that a K-1 plus lens combo would bring. I use a DA* 50-135 frequently and a DA* 300 on nature hikes. I had an opportunity at a gear exposition to try a K-1 + D-FA 70-200, which struck me as an awkward beastly combination for long hikes, especially through the bush. I do have a Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II, which could be adapted to a K-1; it's mass is 1400 g, so it's somewhat lighter than the D FA version. And, as @Builttospill says, the FA* 80-200 is another, slightly lighter option (but still heavier than I would be comfortable with). Using smaller lenses such as the 28-105 or various primes wouldn't be so much of a problem for me.

Another consideration for me would be the need to get another bag and probably several filters.

Who knows, my perceptions may change with time.

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-26-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Note two other lenses
04-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
... I am a happy man with my K-3 ... I don't have a ton of money to sink into Full Frame ... I don't currently find APSC limiting ... I don't print larger than 13x19 at the moment ... I do work in low light some ...
Low light is IMO the best reason to get a K-1. Everything else you wrote suggests the K-3 is just as good as the K-1.
04-26-2018, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

I'll also chime in. Nothing that has been said before thou. First when i got my K-1 I thought that I could use my K-3 as back up or second camera at events...well now I don't want to anymore. I want better FF lenses(I'm on it..) and perhaps even another K-1. I can just go every now and then shooting with my DA 55-300 WR(while it has its prolems when in FF mode, but still. when it works just that little a bit gives quite a bit more control of DoF. I'v been practically shooting with my AT-X pro 20-35/2.8 most of the time. on APS-C 16-50* was lot better choise. But now on FF(it has nasty distortions at some focals thou). it is not only wider, it also packs a lot more details colors and all. Just because of that extra dynamic range. If I use 16-50 on K-1 in crom mode, it is nice, but no. It belongs to K-3.

Now to me, that alone is enough to justify the leap. It wont hit you immediatelly when shooting, so much. But when you sit down by your computer and start to work wit PP...then it get's you.

Then again, I think that for some pictures even M4/3 is enough, almost too much.

Now I'm talking about the shots that matters. and also because you really can stop lens down -and have to because of that shallower DoF- it improves other areas too in the picture. Short tele and in my case FA 77 did little suffer in my use when changed to FF, I liked it more on APS-C. But then again couple other lenses did get upgrade. So personal preferences too. Also you really want good quality lenses with FF. I'v been working my ass off to collect some dough for better lenses. But wide end especially gained a lot for me. Hard to explain. even if I'd put a pile of pictures at here it might not convince you. but to me it makes lot's of things going, and that is all that I can say

04-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I just upgraded to the K-1 from the K-5. I always wanted a K-1 but worried about the extra size and weight plus the expense.

Wow, it blew me away. So much of an upgrade in every area, by leaps and bounds. Being able to use the FA Limiteds as intended with full fov and the big viewfinder is amazing. Its like everything is new again... The 77 which I didn't enjoy using too much on APS-C with the long fov is a revelation on FF. An adjustment using my APS-C favorite the 31 but now I can see what it was really designed for and the K-1 body must have been styled to pair with the 31, together the exterior look is perfect...those two lenses are just really something extra special on FF.

Within a couple of minutes I could barely tell the difference with the additional size (which is not that much), the handling and controls were so familiar. It does weigh a bit more but it is not a big deal at all.

The image quality is amazing, what a camera... If you get the K-1 the moment you mount a favorite lens and take a shot you will be in love and so happy with your decision

For a DA15 replacement (a lens I used to love), you can consider the M20 F4. Haven't tried it yet but it seems to be similar in many ways and to have a great character and size.

I was on the fence before but there is no way I would go back now!
That's a great recommendation.

---------- Post added 04-26-18 at 02:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
A K-1 effectively only adds 200 grams (the same weight as your FA50) to your standard kit, if you leave the K-3 at home.
-----

The flip side to not getting one is, how are you going to make the nagging want go away?, just shooting film again only feeds it.

You might want to consider the K-1 + Prime only as a combination, keeping weight down.
if not, maybe get the 28-105 and lose the least used lenses to the cause.
---

Put the replacement car off another year and the savings in depreciation on that car magically pays for the body.
Yeah, that did it
The weight only changes that much if I stick to the primes - the new DFA zooms are much larger.
Prime only is a good starting point.
The replacement car is far off despite a 12 year old car in the driveway...

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
This is what I would have done. Stay with K3, skip K1 and buy MF. I think the frame wise the difference between K3 and K1 is not that big(this is subjective). I made the mistake of buying K1 without asking do I really need it. Additionally, technology is changing rapidly so I would wait until it stabilizes a bit and then buy.
That certainly was a thought - but to be fair I like my m43 and find the delta to apsc is small also. So for me maybe m43 and FF?

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
I'd say if you do a lot of landscape or astro, it's a no-brainer to go K-1. The 15-30 is great for those, and the size compared to the DA15 doesn't really matter in those situations, as it's almost always on a tripod. And for walking around, the 28-105 is a great option.
Same with pro-level studio or product photography.
OTOH, if it's travel, wildlife, or sports I'd probably stick with APS-C
I shoot landscapes but I do many without tripod (Hanging head in shame). I walk about and need to be able to carry the camera ready to look through it quickly. The 15-30 looks marvelous but not my 1st choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
There are a lot of good points in this discussion. I think the bottom line comes down to this: The K-1 is a "want," but not a "need" for you. If you want it bad enough, get it.

I use the FA* 24 on my K-1 and it's amazing. I've always liked the FA* 24 so much more than the DA 15 (I have owned both). Like others have said here, the FA Limited lenses are magic on the K-1. I always preferred the FA 43 on APS-C, but now the FA 77 is my go-to on FF. The size isn't a big deal (link below for some comparison photos), and I also enjoy the DA 40 XS on my K-1. The two lenses I use the most with the K-1 include the FA* 80-200 and FA 77.

When I bought the K-1, I wrote a brief review discussing some of the things most reviews didn't cover: Ks, 1s, and 0s - My Journey from the K1000 to the K10D to the K-1 (Lots of Photos) - PentaxForums.com. Hopefully this helps.
I will read your thread and let you know. I owned an 80-200 f/2.8 and got rid of it. It was OK, excellent quality and lovely build but heavy - DENSE and not worth keeping when others wanted to pay a lot for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Low light is IMO the best reason to get a K-1. Everything else you wrote suggests the K-3 is just as good as the K-1.
Thanks for the perspective.

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I'll also chime in. Nothing that has been said before thou. First when i got my K-1 I thought that I could use my K-3 as back up or second camera at events...well now I don't want to anymore. I want better FF lenses(I'm on it..) and perhaps even another K-1.

---

Now to me, that alone is enough to justify the leap. It wont hit you immediatelly when shooting, so much. But when you sit down by your computer and start to work wit PP...then it get's you.
High praise for the K-1, thank you.
04-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reasons for me to like the K-1 are better viewfinder, better dynamic range, and better high iso. Extra megapixels is nice if you print big, but I seldom max out the k3 so that's awash.

Biggest thing, though, is if you want one and have the funds then it's probably worth it. No need to pretend that you "need" the benefits, although they are real.
04-26-2018, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I sit on that fence, too. So far I've resisted buying the K-1, though I rented one for a week when it came out. Beautiful image quality, but a bit heavy and slow to operate.

Here's why I like the KP:

I can fit the body and four lenses (15, 21 and 70 Limited and 50/1.8 DA) into a tiny Crumpler Four Milllion Dollar Home bag.

Autofocus on KP is as nimble as I've found on a Pentax body.

Hi ISO image quality is amazing for a crop camera.

Small camera is unobtrusive for shooting in public.

Still thinking about it....
04-26-2018, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Interesting thread. I have about the same length of background in photography, and no doubt experience with film, and during the past couple of years I have wrestled with the same thoughts regarding the K-1! I was shooting happily with my K-5 IIs. Without giving up the K-1 consideration, I decided to include a KP, and have had a similar reaction with it as Deimos above has with his K-1. Pentax/Ricoh wasn't kidding when they revealed their design goal for the KP being to produce as close a match to the K-1 as possible, in the APS-C format. And also as a perfect match for their excellent compact lenses. So during the past year with my KP, I have been reconsidering, and again reconsidering.

You have quite a fine arsenal of fine lenses, as I do also. Of your collection, the lens for me that would bacon towards a K-1 would be the FA 31mm LTD. I do not have that one, but for me what remains of the K-1 interest is mainly using my FA 35mm f/2, FA 43mm LTD, and Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 Pro II with it. Recently, I finally came to the more reasonable conclusion that this is not enough for me to logically make this rather costly step, in addition to hauling the extra weight and bulk. Especially in view of the exceptionally fine results I am now getting, and also enjoying my fine compact lenses more than ever!

I now view my still-fine K-5 IIs as my "larger" body (I have the battery grip as well for both it and the KP), and the KP as my Pentax compact side-kick, but this side-kick really has quite a kick! Back during the film era, there was a period where I owned the PZ-1p along with a couple of compact bodies- the ZX-5n and the ZX-L, and switching between them was rather similar to my present situation, although the PZ-1p is larger than a K-5 or K-3 body. Yet my KP is wayyy more camera, far more capable than those film bodies. But in similar fashion, I reach for what suits my need. By adding the KP, with the fine lenses I now own, the playing field has become definitely closer between my APS-C system and getting into a FF system.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-26-2018 at 12:30 PM.
04-26-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

The thing actually propably is, that IF you are happy with your K-P(or other aps-c/micro 4/3) then propably K-1 is not gonna bring anything on the table worth the prize.

To ne it was that little shallower Dof, better DR and bigger VF. Also it is nice to fit my pinky also on the grip instead of under the camera. But if you are not gonna make big prints, like size and output of your machine..then what is the point..?
There is some perks. Like little more 3-D pop, but is that enough if you do not wish to go there, more than 30 % of your shots.

It is a lot of money. But if you use primes, and smaller zooms(28-105 ) notthose big ones then it is not actually ’that’ much bigger and you get that 20% more to your shots..well. Some day even that 5% is good because it is all that I did get.
04-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Originally Posted by UncleVanya:

What's my DA 15 alternative?
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Been asking myself that since I got a k-1 :/
I guess the answer is "crop mode" unfortunately.
How is the 15mm in 1:1 mode? That square format is an underrated selling point IMO.
04-26-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I am not going to convince you to buy a K1. I am going to go the other way.

I think you have already stated why you should not buy the K1.

Take it from somebody who would love to buy a K1 also. For me though, if I had 2000 dollars right now. there are a lot of other things that need to be done first and the camera would need to wait. When you look at your finances and you feel like you can spend the money on a K1 and you really want it, then buy it. On the other hand, chances are, if you do buy it, in a short amount of time, you will want to buy a new lens or two.

What it all boils down to is if you feel like you can afford to buy it and how much you want it.

Only you can decide which is more important, the need or the want.

HOWEVER...
and I don't have a ton of money to sink into Full Frame.
04-26-2018, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Convince me to buy a K-1
The K1 is able to deliver extraordinary images, but not always, it depends on the lenses used and best use of SR. With a DFA24-70 wide open, I'm able to get high quality shots of jazz concert in low light , handheld, there is no way I can get similar quality out of a K3 with a zoom lens. I could never hope to get equivalent results with my K3 and DA15ltd compared to the K1 and DFA15-30. But, if I was going to buy a K1 again, I'd only get 3 lenses for it: DFA15-30, DFA24-70 and DFA70-200. No DFA28-105, No 100 macro, no DFA150450, there are better systems than Pentax K1 for shooting macros and supertele. K1 is somehow a professional level camera, that's why we see some people selling K1, K1 is a bit too much for the average photographer. After almost two years of using the K1, I cannot shoot with anything else, that's a bit of a dilemma when I feel like Pentax isn't becoming more popular.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-26-2018 at 01:42 PM.