Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
From what I've seen on that analysis, the K1-II offers less noise at the cost of less detail (the images from the K1 look sharper across the whole range at the cost of -only from higher ISOs- slight more noise). Some talk about better colour rendition / colour depth on the K1-II (at high ISOs) too, but I can't notice this.
If you look at the red PC card in the second set of images, the red is a lot brighter due to the noise being removed form the image, even at ISO 100.

05-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If you look at the red PC card in the second set of images, the red is a lot brighter due to the noise being removed form the image, even at ISO 100.
Yes, but does that mean "better" colour 'rendition' / colour 'depth' or just "less noise"? Or is due to a bit different calibration of the white balance regardless there's slight less noise? Besides, like I said I do prefer more detail rather than less noise, especially considering I'm an ISO-100 shooter. Well, that's me.

Once they'll launch a version with less noise WITHOUT the cost of less detail, then that one will be a clear advantage in both areas (or an advantage in one area without being a disadvantage in the other one). Til then it's not clear for me (improving in one aspect at the cost of getting worse in another one is not an improvement).

Last edited by alvaro_garcia; 05-02-2018 at 09:32 AM.
05-02-2018, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Well, less noise can give more accurate color because of the lack of random pixel color noise. It didn't look like a white balance issue to me, but I would like to see another test of the same type to get more information on it.
05-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Photoptimist is just another reason people need to pay up and become members of this forum.

Not only does he know this stuff, he explains it brilliantly, with directness and style. And he has a sense of humour ... need we go on?
Hear, hear.

---------- Post added 05-02-18 at 12:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote

It appears that images produced by K-1 Mk II are smoother and have less details in them even at base ISO 100.
Now I am questioning my own urge to upgrade my K-1 to Mk II.
Well....in the plant image, maybe so. in the circuit board? I think the K1II is better....

---------- Post added 05-02-18 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not convinced by the "less detail at base ISO" claim.
Agreed

05-08-2018, 09:38 PM   #50

Original Poster
I don't go hog wild when taking pictures, so the K-1 will last a long time for me. I want to purchase the next full frame Pentax camera, keep the K-1 and just have different lenses on the cameras, that way I won't be switching out lenses. Perhaps there will be a brand new model or a new K-1 model that has more dramatic improvements over the first K-1. The K-1 Mk II while improved, still doesn't have what I would call significant improvements that would justify the expense.
05-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
I don't go hog wild when taking pictures,
There is a cure for that disease!
05-09-2018, 01:23 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
I have an original K-1 and a three week old K-1 ii. My decision to upgrade the K-1 or not was going to be based on my experience with the new camera. I have shot with it a lot and have come to appreciate the dynamic pixel shift for many shots. The reported higher sensitivity is almost non-detectable for low to normal ISO. It is marginally relevant at 6400. I might occasionally use 12800 on the K-1 ii. That ISO cleans up pretty well in LR. Autofocus is marginally better for moving objects. I will probably upgrade to get Dynamic pixel shift. Great new feature.
Please...PLEASE...post some shots taken with both cameras, same lens / scene side by side comparison etc That would be really helpful.

05-09-2018, 02:05 AM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Please...PLEASE...post some shots taken with both cameras, same lens / scene side by side comparison etc That would be really helpful.
?

But that's happened, MB, I gave you a link.
05-09-2018, 04:44 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

?

But that's happened, MB, I gave you a link.
and thanks (the ones with the sliders?)...but would still like to see some real time landscape / outdoor / brickwall / cat / dog / whatever comparisons.
05-11-2018, 12:51 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

Photoptimist is just another reason people need to pay up and become members of this forum.

Not only does he know this stuff, he explains it brilliantly, with directness and style. And he has a sense of humour ... need we go on?
+1. Many times I wanted to thank @Photoptimist for his posts! He is a voice of reason and always a pleasure to read. I'm not a native English speaker but I find it always easy to understand his notion and also the technical info he provides in such a wonderful way! So I take advantage of this opportunity of @clackers post to thank Photoptimist publicly! Keep up the great work my friend! We look forward for your posts!
06-12-2018, 02:04 AM   #56
Pentaxian

He has formed the opinion,stick with a K-1 unless firmware enhances the MK ii.
06-12-2018, 03:02 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I'm getting a K-1 II. My wife shoots weddings and currently uses a K3 as a second camera to our K-1. She wanted a second full frame camera and decided that the K-1 II would work well. We probably won't upgrade our current K-1 unless there is some sort of amazing difference. It is old enough that it too will have to be replaced at some point down the road.

Regardless, the concerns most people have with the K-1 II don't bother me. At low iso, by all accounts, it is the same as the K-1 and that is where I generally shoot landscapes. At high iso, the images are cleaner and if there is a tiny bit less detail, that really isn't important. I'm not a master of noise reduction software by any means and I see it opening up 12K to 25K isos for snap shot purposes of my kids.
06-12-2018, 03:44 AM   #58
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I'm getting a K-1 II. My wife shoots weddings and currently uses a K3 as a second camera to our K-1. She wanted a second full frame camera and decided that the K-1 II would work well. We probably won't upgrade our current K-1 unless there is some sort of amazing difference. It is old enough that it too will have to be replaced at some point down the road.

Regardless, the concerns most people have with the K-1 II don't bother me. At low iso, by all accounts, it is the same as the K-1 and that is where I generally shoot landscapes. At high iso, the images are cleaner and if there is a tiny bit less detail, that really isn't important. I'm not a master of noise reduction software by any means and I see it opening up 12K to 25K isos for snap shot purposes of my kids.
I've said it before in another thread, but having played around with the K-1II's files in Darktable for some considerable time, I believe the detail issue to be largely insignificant in general day-to-day photography, while the superior noise levels are of genuine benefit - even to those with plenty of post-processing noise reduction experience, as the K-1II provides even more headroom for additional noise processing (in my opinion).

If I were buying a full-frame Pentax camera right now, it would most likely be the K-1II...
06-12-2018, 04:26 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had a K-1 Mark II (upgraded from my original now-two-year-old black K-1) for about a week now. There is absolutely nothing about its output which makes me regret the process.

I'll probably keep my Silver Limited K-1 as is - partly for originality, but mainly so I can directly compare the two when I have the time and inclination.

An example. Sure, it's not high art. NO noise reduction.

Darkness
06-12-2018, 05:14 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've said it before in another thread, but having played around with the K-1II's files in Darktable for some considerable time, I believe the detail issue to be largely insignificant in general day-to-day photography, while the superior noise levels are of genuine benefit - even to those with plenty of post-processing noise reduction experience, as the K-1II provides even more headroom for additional noise processing (in my opinion).

If I were buying a full-frame Pentax camera right now, it would most likely be the K-1II...
I agree. When it comes to my wife's clients, they would notice noise a lot quicker than slight loss of detail and the time saved in processing images could be considerable.