Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 05:46 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've said it before in another thread, but having played around with the K-1II's files in Darktable for some considerable time, I believe the detail issue to be largely insignificant in general day-to-day photography, while the superior noise levels are of genuine benefit - even to those with plenty of post-processing noise reduction experience, as the K-1II provides even more headroom for additional noise processing (in my opinion).

If I were buying a full-frame Pentax camera right now, it would most likely be the K-1II...
BTW I think the issue has been blown out of proportion... IIRC the "step" doesn't happen until ISO640... when I need all the detail I can get, I routinely use as low an ISO I can.

Above ISO 800 or so, anything goes. My K-01 reportedly has some "baking" going on above ISO1600, again, IIRC. Big deal, rarely go that high, and when I do, there's so much noise that it doesn't really matter anymore.

06-12-2018, 06:14 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have bot cameras and I do not plan on upgrading my K1. I see no real reason to do so. Like normhead I prefer using as low an ISO as possible. Usually 200 or lower but rarely over 400.. Maybe a holdover from decades of using film. I have a K1-II when I need the features that are particular to that unit. Otherwise the camera output is the same.

On top of that I spent the money that would have gone to the upgrade on a trip to Yellowstone last month. A much better proposition even if it was my worst wildlife shooting trip there yet. There seemed to be some sort of miscommunication between where the animals were and where I was. Scheduling conflict or something like that. Missed the ops by anywhere from 10 minutes to a full day, That is also what I love about the park. It constantly surprises. So yes, I will continue to drive the three days it takes me to get there as often as I can.
06-13-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Now that the "dust has settled" a bit on the K-1 vs K-1 II debate I have decided to not upgrade my K-1. Like the OP I rarely shoot over ISO 100 so I don't see a big benefit for me. I'll struggle along with my K-1 for the time being. ;-)
06-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #64
Veteran Member

i was strongly considering upgrading, as pentax is upgrading its autofocus. that is something that would have helped when i was doing weddings.
now that i'm coming out of weddings, and dont think i'll be doing any more in the near future, the K1ii doesn't make much sense any more.
i may keep the k1 until maybe gen 3 comes out. or maybe in between i'll change to a different system (sony seems very attractive currently).

06-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Early on, I was somewhat considering upgrading my K1 to the mkII. Reading, looking, listening, trying to determine what benefits there would be to me. As time has been passing, and from what I have read and seen, I find fewer and fewer benefits to be derived from upgrading, especially since I shoot as low an ISO as I possibly can.

I did come across this youtube video, which had direct image to image comparisons. The take away was the MkII had better white balance, while the K1 original was better in ambient low light shooting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Please...PLEASE...post some shots taken with both cameras, same lens / scene side by side comparison etc That would be really helpful.

.... then I saw this - an AF test between the two.

So, as of now - I really don't see myself upgrading at all. I'm just fine with what I have.

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-15-2018 at 01:02 PM.
06-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember that the Mark II also has the hand held PS which can be interesting and useful sometimes. It also seems a bit better at focus in continuous mode. I recognize that both of these positives for the Mark II tend to be based on subjective judgments. I have decided not to convert my silver K-1 to keep it as issued. If I find the time I will try to do controlled tests comparing the two. Trouble is I am busy and lazy so It may not come about
06-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Remember that the Mark II also has the hand held PS which can be interesting and useful sometimes. It also seems a bit better at focus in continuous mode. I recognize that both of these positives for the Mark II tend to be based on subjective judgments. I have decided not to convert my silver K-1 to keep it as issued. If I find the time I will try to do controlled tests comparing the two. Trouble is I am busy and lazy so It may not come about
Interesting that all the comments on the Mark II focus on the 'accelerator' now - when the camera first came out, most comments were "nothing much new here".

06-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Interesting that all the comments on the Mark II focus on the 'accelerator' now - when the camera first came out, most comments were "nothing much new here".
Yes, that damned review from the place not to be named has completely skewed the discussion. The two features I mentioned are what impressed me most. Note I did not mention the accelerator in the post reh321 quoted.
06-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Early on, I was somewhat considering upgrading my K1 to the mkII. Reading, looking, listening, trying to determine what benefits there would be to me. As time has been passing, and from what I have read and seen, I find fewer and fewer benefits to be derived from upgrading, especially since I shoot as low an ISO as I possibly can.

I did come across this youtube video, which had direct image to image comparisons. The take away was the MkII had better white balance, while the K1 original was better in ambient low light shooting.

.... then I saw this - an AF test between the two.

So, as of now - I really don't see myself upgrading at all. I'm just fine with what I have.

The question is not why I will not upgrade but why should I upgrade at all. Pentax failed to answer that question and all tests are telling us that there is no reason - and are beaten to death afterwards.

Second question: why invest money in a system with very little news. Lens and camera releases are bascially zero. Long wishlist and short release list do not fit together for me.

Still some time to go before the upgrade time ends and photokina starts.
06-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The "ambient low-light shooting" difference is also observed in another review, though I don't know if I would call it "ambient low light shooting" as much as "image recovery from underexposure".

Lonely speck review of the K-1II for astrophotography - PentaxForums.com
06-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #71

I was finally able to order K-1 today. I chose the original K-1 because I appreciate details over less noise. I can always add noise reduction in post prosessing but I can't pull lost details back.

I am really excited finally to be able to use my fa lenses in ff camera.
06-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regrets are more bitter about inaction than about bad decisions. But at least folks on this thread chose to act and vent on their lack of action �� to compensate for an eventual remorse.
To me there are are not enough convincing arguments against the upgrade, and I prefer to make my own judgments. Hence I lined up for it knowing that at least I did it my way... ��
06-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #73
tax

I am sitting now on the fence regarding this Mark II new board upgrade. There is still enough time until the end of September to make the final decision which depends on the following:
1. If Ricoh releases a new firmware upgrade for K-1 which improves its auto focus and white balance, then there is no reason to upgrade.
2. If Ricoh releases a new firmware upgrade for K-1 Mk II which allows to turn the accelerator unit off when its pixel blurring function is not desired, then certainly I will upgrade my K-1.
3. If neither of these events occurs, then in September I will review all published at that time K-1 Mk II reviews and its comparisons to K-1 and then make a well reasoned decision on this offered upgrade.
$550 is not a huge price to keep your camera up to date, but sometimes less is better than more if you know what I mean.

Last edited by tax; 06-21-2018 at 09:55 PM.
06-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a regular K-1ii and had planned to upgrade my Silver Ltd Ed also but I think I will wait awhile or maybe not do it at all. It might be nicer to have the Special Edition remain stock. I do not do a lot of testing but I really like the results with both cameras. I do tend to baby the silver one.
06-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #75
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I do not do a lot of testing but I really like the results with both cameras. I do tend to baby the silver one.
Does it mean that subjectively you like the results produced by the original K-1 better than your new K-1 Mk II camera or not?