Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Which version of ACDsee do you have? IS it useful in cataloging your images in a useful fashion? Their website is pretty slick but does not answer the question of how many computers can you install it on, or is it a per machine license? If that is the case, it gets expensive quickly.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 07:35 PM ----------

I also had issues with utilization on an 8 core AMD FX and 24GB of RAM when it would freeze and cause me to force restart my computer if I tried to do any inpainting. Many of the tools were not very intuitive either, just another example of getting what I paid for it I guess!
I'm running ACDSee Ultimate 10. It will categorize any way you want. I create my own catalogs, use some keywords. You can search by any parameter camera, lens, category..........

I run one box with current software and keep an old copy on a laptop while traveling. It use to be u could run more than one copy if u didn't use them at the same time. I think thats changed. You might want to check their forum Forums - ACD Systems International - ACD Systems International

05-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Which version of ACDsee do you have? IS it useful in cataloging your images in a useful fashion? Their website is pretty slick but does not answer the question of how many computers can you install it on, or is it a per machine license? If that is the case, it gets expensive quickly.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 07:35 PM ----------

I also had issues with utilization on an 8 core AMD FX and 24GB of RAM when it would freeze and cause me to force restart my computer if I tried to do any inpainting. Many of the tools were not very intuitive either, just another example of getting what I paid for it I guess!
It appears that when I selected "import photos", Digikam was trying to copy my entire photo collection from the D: drive (dynamic disk with two 4TB HDDs striped) to my C: drive (RAID 0 drive with 2 SSDs) . Not sure if it actually moved them instead of import them. Can't access that PC at the moment due to the odd boot drive crash.
Strangely, those SSDs seem to be running OK now in another PC with removable drive bays. There was a firmware update I just installed on both of them. Reformatted them as single volume each and testing the whole surface with h2testw . SMART data said everything was fine with 99% health remaining on each . Maybe something else than the SSD going on with that PC... Next up will probably be memtest of all the RAM .. sigh.

Last edited by madbrain; 05-06-2018 at 11:38 AM.
05-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
It appears that when I selected "import photos", Digikam was trying to copy my entire photo collection from the D: drive (dynamic disk with two 4TB HDDs striped) to my C: drive (RAID 0 drive with 2 SSDs) . Not sure if it actually moved them instead of important. Can't access that PC at the moment due to the odd boot drive crash.
Strangely, those SSDs seem to be running OK now in another PC with removable drive bays. There was a firmware update I just installed on both of them. Reformatted them as single volume each and testing the whole surface with h2testw . SMART data said everything was fine with 99% health remaining on each . Maybe something else than the SSD going on with that PC... Next up will probably be memtest of all the RAM .. sigh.
When the box gets wonky, there is often too much testing to try to find the gremlins hiding ion the box. Digicam did try to pull my cell phone images also. I think I will stick with DxO while trying to learn Darktable. I just want something that does a good job with tags and cataloging. ACDsee doesn't seem very receptive to improvement requests while now charging an extra 10 bucks to use a laptop, which was not the case several versions prior. Sounds pretty greedy so maybe I will look at ON1 if Darktable isn't good enough for me.
05-03-2018, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When the box gets wonky, there is often too much testing to try to find the gremlins hiding ion the box.
Yup. Having built all my PCs from parts for the last 25 years, I know it all too well. I'm sure I will figure it out, it is just time consuming to find the faulty part.

QuoteQuote:
Digicam did try to pull my cell phone images also. I think I will stick with DxO while trying to learn Darktable. I just want something that does a good job with tags and cataloging. ACDsee doesn't seem very receptive to improvement requests while now charging an extra 10 bucks to use a laptop, which was not the case several versions prior. Sounds pretty greedy so maybe I will look at ON1 if Darktable isn't good enough for me.
ON1 seems like a fine program except for the speed. I actually sent them a note earlier today about this, and got a reply within the hour. Here is how it went :

QuoteOriginally posted by me:

Hi,
I have been using the trial version of ON1. I love the program, except for one issue, which makes it a non-starter for me : the speed, or rather, lack thereof.

Switching from the Browse to Develop module takes about 5 seconds. Once within the Develop module, switching from one image to the next takes about 5 seconds as well.

This is just way too slow. When I'm reviewing imported images, usually, I only want to work on a few of them, and skip over most of the others. The delay inside of the Develop module is just intolerable.

This is not an issue with my machine. I have an i7-5820K CPU, overclocked to 4.4 GHz, with 32GB of RAM, and dual SSDs in RAID. The program just takes forever.

Do you have any plan on fixing this ? If you could make the switching between images as fast inside the Develop module as it is in the Browse module, I would be very happy to purchase the program. I think you could do that by allowing interruption of the full rendering. Just show a quick preview as in the browse module, and then allow the arrow keys or mouse to interrupt the full rendering in progress if the user is not interested in it. I don't mind waiting 5 seconds for full rendering if I'm actually interested in the picture, but I do want to be able to skip to another picture faster if not.

QuoteOriginally posted by ON1 support:
Thank you for using ON1! I apologize for the confusion, but this is normal behavior in the current version of our programs. Please note, our app is doing a lot of background calculation when opening an image in Develop/Effects. We are building the full sized preview based off of the information in the full sized raw file from the raw engine that is built into our application. It is normal for the program to take a moment to display the image in the main preview window when switching between modules. However, this behavior will be changing when we release the 2018.5 update near the end of June. The 2018.5 update is the next major free update to the program and will include new features as well as major increases to speed and performance. Module switching in the 2018.5 version will be as fast as culling images within ON1 Browse, so stay tuned! You will likely receive some emails regarding the new features and fixes included in this free update as we get closer to the release near the end of June. I apologize for this inconvenience, if there is anything else I can do for you please reply to this email.

I think I will wait until end of june to see if ON1 really delivers on this promise. If so, then I think I will be happy with it. In the meantime I will play with the other programs.

05-03-2018, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Try darktable. It is easier than Rawtherapee. In case of darktable topics to understand are 'import', 'copy - paste of history stack' and 'export'. This will get you going. Topic of blending is complicated. Best documentation for darktable can be found at their website. You can tell it is written by engineer way better than the doc these mega corporations put out.
05-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Try darktable. It is easier than Rawtherapee. In case of darktable topics to understand are 'import', 'copy - paste of history stack' and 'export'. This will get you going. Topic of blending is complicated. Best documentation for darktable can be found at their website. You can tell it is written by engineer way better than the doc these mega corporations put out.
I will give it a shot as soon as my main PC is revived.

RawTherapee appears to be RAW development only, but not catalog, and just looked intimidating for me.

Just looked over the Darktable web site. Seems like it's got a bunch of features, just hard to say how well they work until I try. Lacks multi-monitor support as far as I can tell. So does Aftershot Pro, and that's been one of my gripes with it too. I have been running triple monitors forever.
05-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even Photoshop CS5 from 2010 opens the K-1 (camera model from 2016) DNG-files.

05-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I tried Digikam briefly. Unfortunately, lots of problems with this program. One of them being that even the largest possible preview size in the image browser is way too small on my 4K screen. Another that the program nearly locked my computer while trying to import my library. Even task manager took several minutes to bring up. Only to show that CPU usage and disk usage were both very low. Not sure what it was doing. I had to kill the process. Afterwards, when I restarted it, there was no way to resume the import process. Even selecting "refresh" didn't help. It was only through 2010-04 and refresh didn't find any other folders beyond that. The only way to "remove" the folder in the Digikam album view would have deleted the actual folders on list. Trying to read the missing ones didn't work either because of duplicates. Just so much frustration ! I probably didn't give it a fair chance, but I was so aggravated with it that it had to go.

Emailed Corel about the K-1 II yesterday, and they responded today that they will be adding an Aftershot profile for the K-1 II, but couldn't give any timeline.
Also asked them about RAW files from my Galaxy Note 8, and they weren't aware that this smartphone could shoot in RAW.
I had asked about this on their support forum in January, but clearly no one read it.

Also emailed ON1 support about the speed issue. They said they are aware of the problem when switching between browse and develop, and going from one image to another within the develop module, and plan to address it in their 2018.5 update. If this means a May release, then maybe it could be the program for me. Also emailed them about a few bugs I found in ON1 with metadata search.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 04:52 PM ----------

But then that means you have to manually select the profile for every image from that camera, right ? Or can it be automated / done in batch ?

I guess that is why other programs have specific profiles for each camera ...

I have good backups. Nightly incrementals in Acronis to my NAS. Kind of have to especially when trying multiple photo managing apps at the same time. Even though I only open one at a time, some seem to step on each other's toes a bit with the way they manages the metadatas.
You seem pretty knowledgeable about computers and software, I found this online if you're interested in making your own profiles for Aftershot!

afzcamcreator/README.md at master · asalamon74/afzcamcreator · GitHub
05-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Even Photoshop CS5 from 2010 opens the K-1 (camera model from 2016) DNG-files.
Adobe invented the DNG format and that seems to mean that their programs are more tolerant of new cameras.
This is not the case for many other applications like Aftershot or DXO, which require new profiles for new cameras, and otherwise won't open the DNG files at all.
Some other programs will open them, but will render them strangely.

---------- Post added 05-04-18 at 03:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
You seem pretty knowledgeable about computers and software, I found this online if you're interested in making your own profiles for Aftershot!

afzcamcreator/README.md at master · asalamon74/afzcamcreator · GitHub
Thanks, I may I just give that a shot ! For now my main PC is still having surgery. May play with this in the meantime to create the profile on this other PC.
05-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adobe invented the DNG format and that seems to mean that their programs are more tolerant of new cameras.
This is not the case for many other applications like Aftershot or DXO, which require new profiles for new cameras, and otherwise won't open the DNG files at all.
Some other programs will open them, but will render them strangely.

---------- Post added 05-04-18 at 03:11 PM ----------

Thanks, I may I just give that a shot ! For now my main PC is still having surgery. May play with this in the meantime to create the profile on this other PC.
I played with it. No matter what I did, the profile I created for the K-1 II wouldn't allow Aftershot to open any DNGs created in camera.
I then switched the camera to shooting in PEF, and then everything worked ! I re-used the same ICC profile as the K-1 . Without the ICC profile, all images were extremely dark.

I have attached this profile in a ZIP file.

Unfortunately, I have 500 pictures I shot in Napa on Saturday all in DNG format, which I cannot process in Aftershot.

Is there such a thing as a DNG to PEF converter ? It looks like Pentax Digital Camera Utility can convert from PEF to DNG, but not the other way around ...
05-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I played with it. No matter what I did, the profile I created for the K-1 II wouldn't allow Aftershot to open any DNGs created in camera.
I then switched the camera to shooting in PEF, and then everything worked ! I re-used the same ICC profile as the K-1 . Without the ICC profile, all images were extremely dark.

I have attached this profile in a ZIP file.

Unfortunately, I have 500 pictures I shot in Napa on Saturday all in DNG format, which I cannot process in Aftershot.

Is there such a thing as a DNG to PEF converter ? It looks like Pentax Digital Camera Utility can convert from PEF to DNG, but not the other way around ...
I converted a "PEF" to "DNG" with Digital Utility but can't get it to open in ASP PRO vers 3.4, although I was able to download and load your zip file profile and I am using a K-70 camera.

The pics I have shot using DNG I have no problem opening in ASP, going from PEF to DNG however the pic dropped in size by 4mb.
05-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SharkyCA,

I converted a "PEF" to "DNG" with Digital Utility but can't get it to open in ASP PRO vers 3.4, although I was able to download and load your zip file profile and I am using a K-70 camera.
The profile I created only helps with PEF files from the K-1 II . It doesn't work with DNG files from the K-1 II for some unknown reason. It's not going to help with your K-70 . However, Corel has an official camera profile for the K-70, which you can download from within the program in the "Get more" tab , or from AfterShot Pro Downloads - Corel Discovery Center .

I will be shooting in PEF + JPEG from now on with my K-1 II . However, I have files in DNG so far that I can't open in Aftershot. I know how to convert from PEF to DNG, but I have no idea how to convert those DNG files to PEF . DNG is supposed to be more compatible, but I seem to have hit the one case where the reverse is true.

Looks I'll have to wait for Corel to create the official K-1 II profile, unfortunately.

QuoteQuote:
The pics I have shot using DNG I have no problem opening in ASP, going from PEF to DNG however the pic dropped in size by 4mb.
Not sure why the drop in size. 4MB is a lot . I wonder if it has to do with built-in preview. Or maybe just different compression.
05-08-2018, 01:51 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I'm sure Capture One Pro will support the K-1 II in due course.

It may be able to process its DNG files already, because it has generic DNG support.

You can download a trial version (30 days) and check whether it already accepts K-1 II files.
05-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #29
Pentaxian

SharkyCA,

The profile I created only helps with PEF files from the K-1 II . It doesn't work with DNG files from the K-1 II for some unknown reason. It's not going to help with your K-70 . However, Corel has an official camera profile for the K-70, which you can download from within the program in the "Get more" tab , or from AfterShot Pro Downloads - Corel Discovery Center .

I will be shooting in PEF + JPEG from now on with my K-1 II . However, I have files in DNG so far that I can't open in Aftershot. I know how to convert from PEF to DNG, but I have no idea how to convert those DNG files to PEF . DNG is supposed to be more compatible, but I seem to have hit the one case where the reverse is true.

Looks I'll have to wait for Corel to create the official K-1 II profile, unfortunately.

Not sure why the drop in size. 4MB is a lot . I wonder if it has to do with built-in preview. Or maybe just different compression.
There are actually two profile in ASP for the K70, one says (K70) and the other (k70DNG) I have them both downloaded and have used the K-70 to shoot in both PEF & DNG, ASP will open both file types, BUT not the DNG created with the Digital Camera Utility converting the PEF to DNG which is also where the file size changed from 30mb to 26mb. I was not trying to use the profile you made, I was just curious if it would load into the program.

See Pentax listing of current supported from within ASP ver 3.24 (attached screen clip)
Attached Images

Last edited by SharkyCA; 05-08-2018 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Add information
05-08-2018, 03:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are actually two profile in ASP for the K70, one says (K70) and the other (k70DNG) I have them both downloaded and have used the K-70 to shoot in both PEF & DNG, ASP will open both file types, BUT not the DNG created with the Digital Camera Utility converting the PEF to DNG which is also where the file size changed from 30mb to 26mb. I was not trying to use the profile you made, I was just curious if it would load into the program.

See Pentax listing of current supported from within ASP ver 3.24 (attached screen clip)
Thanks for pointing this out !

It appears I created my profile for the K-1 II based on the "K-1" profile and not "K-1 DNG" . I will give it another try. Maybe I can actually get this to work.

---------- Post added 05-08-18 at 03:37 AM ----------

If you send me such a K-70 DNG converted from PEF, I can give it a try and see if I can create a profile that will work with it.
Does DCU change the camera model name in the converted file ?