Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2018, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like that worked.
Here are 2 aftershot profiles for the K-1 II, both for JPEGs and DNG . They are based completely off the K-1 profiles.

Attached Files
File Type: zip k1_ii_aftershot.zip (38.5 KB, 31 views)
05-09-2018, 04:43 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Looks like that worked.
Here are 2 aftershot profiles for the K-1 II, both for JPEGs and DNG . They are based completely off the K-1 profiles.
Glad to hear that worked for you, too bad you can't upload your "new" profile to Corels' ASP on their web page!
05-09-2018, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Glad to hear that worked for you, too bad you can't upload your "new" profile to Corels' ASP on their web page!
I don't want to do Corel's work for them. I hope they would actually do a new ICC color profile of the camera in the official version. Mine just copied the settings for the K-1 . They can't be dramatically different though, as the shots look pretty good on screen with the version I made.

I still want to migrate away from Aftershot, but at least I have got a little more time to find the right program for my needs now that I can continue to use it for K-1 II shots.
05-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't want to do Corel's work for them. I hope they would actually do a new ICC color profile of the camera in the official version. Mine just copied the settings for the K-1 . They can't be dramatically different though, as the shots look pretty good on screen with the version I made.

I still want to migrate away from Aftershot, but at least I have got a little more time to find the right program for my needs now that I can continue to use it for K-1 II shots.
Have you looked at Cyberlink? I have been using it a lot Photodirector 5 & 7, 9 is now available although the lens support is not the best they do have a "Lens profile creator" and most camera bodies are available.

I have found it very easy to use and so many down loadable pre-sets & overlays I keep going back to it from ASP unless I need to use Paintshop Pro!

LensProfileGenerator_UserGuide.pdf - Google Drive

Free Video Effects, Photo Frames & Tutorials | DirectorZone

PhotoDirector - Complete Photo Adjustment & Design | CyberLink

Last edited by SharkyCA; 05-11-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: More info
05-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #35
Pentaxian

My personal take at the moment would be:
  1. Shoot DNG
  2. Use the most current Lightroom Classic as DAM only (the DAM part actually is officially "freeware", no subscription needed at all, ever)
  3. Develop raws using darktable. Very competent and user friendly.
    1. if pixelshift and lens corrections have some priority use rawtherapee instead (RT can use every single lens profile from Adobe)
05-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Have you looked at Cyberlink? I have been using it a lot Photodirector 5 & 7, 9 is now available although the lens support is not the best they do have a "Lens profile creator" and most camera bodies are available.

I have found it very easy to use and so many down loadable pre-sets & overlays I keep going back to it from ASP unless I need to use Paintshop Pro!

LensProfileGenerator_UserGuide.pdf - Google Drive

Free Video Effects, Photo Frames & Tutorials | DirectorZone

PhotoDirector - Complete Photo Adjustment & Design | CyberLink

I looked at Cyberlink. I ruled it out because it exclusively uses a database for metadata, not even any sidecar files. That makes any migration of the catalog in the future to another software very difficult, if not impossible.
I haven't carefully looked at how they manage their metadata.

Metadata is a really vexing problem. Aftershot does a poor job. Contrary to standards, it never writes any keywords to DNG or JPG files. They are only written to sidecar files. And the sidecar files have non-standard naming : IMAGE.JPG.XMP instead of the standard IMAGE.XMP . Or IMAGE.DNG.XMP instead of IMAGE.XMP .
Of course, the standard may be silly if there is a name collision, but nevertheless, it is the standard, and most programs work with a single extension for sidecar files.
As a result, I will need scripting to rename the sidecar files to the standard, extract the keywords, and write them to the pictures using EXIFTOOL. Huge mess.

keywords cannot be written to proprietary RAW files in most cases. I have some CR2 (Canon), PEF (Pentax) and RW2 (Panasonic). I think I will likely convert them all to DNG in order to have the keywords persist in the images themselves, and not catalogs/sidecar files, so any program that can handle DNGs (and that is most, nowadays) can also manage the keywords.

I am doing a trial of Lightroom classic right now, and as much as it pains me to say so, it looks like it may meet my needs the best. I love the facial recognition in particular, even though it is slow. It handles multiple monitors. It has proper printing. It doesn't crash all the time like Aftershot. It's not chock full of weird bugs like ON1.
Browse mode and quick develop is sufficiently fast, if not as powerful as the Aftershot processing. But it has lens profiles for just about everything. It can integrate with third party programs like DXO or Canon software for my printer through plugins ... Aftershot has plug-in support too, but there are very few plug-ins for it.

ACDsee works but is slower at processing. Haven't played enough with it to seriously compare yet.

If it wasn't for the subscription licensing option, I think I would be sold on Lightroom classic. $120 every year really is a lot if you only need that single program. Every other program has cheaper perpetual license options. But they aren't as full-featured.

The only thing I can see so far where Lightroom may fall short from what I have read is the PixelShift support. Doesn't work with K-1 II PEF/DNG files without exiftool modification. And supposedly the motion correction is inferior to Pentax in-camera as well as Silkypix and RawTherapee.
RawTherapee has a horrible UI. SilpkyPix (PDCU) managed to hang my machine pretty good to the point where I couldn't even move the mouse pointer for 20s at a time. No other program does that on my machine. Something really odd going on.
05-12-2018, 01:26 AM   #37
Pentaxian

If it wasn't for the subscription licensing option, I think I would be sold on Lightroom classic.
Have you looked at Capture One Pro?

It shares some similarities to LR, but is better overall.

No PixelShift support, though, and I don't see Phase One adding it any day (let alone any time soon).

05-12-2018, 01:49 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Have you looked at Capture One Pro?

It shares some similarities to LR, but is better overall.

No PixelShift support, though, and I don't see Phase One adding it any day (let alone any time soon).
Did look at Capture One. Just don't like the price. Either a large $300 upfront fee, or $20/month, double the price of Lightroom.

I'm more than happy to pay for software upgrades when there is a new feature that justifies it. If they come every year, and I like those features, I'll gladly pay $120 every year, even.
But if the product stagnates, or the new features don't interest to me, I would like to be able to keep using the software without ransom. Ad vitam eternam subscription is just not justifiable, IMO.
For an editing software, maybe, since pictures don't need to be edited all the time. But for catalogging software, which Lightroom is, it cannot possibly make sense.
And the direction they are going in which the new "Lightroom Cloud CC" is even worse. I had actually downloaded that P.O.S . at first instead of Lightroom classic CC.
I'll use my own local storage, local backup and cloud services of my choice, thank you very much. I don't want to be tied to Adobe. I can't imagine anything worse than having my library of photos held hostage in a cloud service that might shut down some day.
And of course, my Internet goes down a fair bit, which makes any software that requires cloud just to operate dubious.

I think ON1 / Corel have the best pricing - programs typically sell for < $100, and updates about the same - when once to upgrade. Sometimes much less for Corel. Unfortunately, code quality and speed is just not there. Feature set is inferior too.
05-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Did look at Capture One. Just don't like the price.
For sure the initial price tag looks a bit intimidating. You can get 10% off by using an ambassador code which is not a lot, but every little bit helps.

I was happy to pay the price of admission to get away from Adobe with their atrocious quality control, auto-adapt everything approach, and of course the ransom-ware model.

If I were you, I'd try Capture One for 30 days and then see whether you cannot justify the expense. Just consider what you are spending on a lens and the time you'll be spending with the software and how much your final results depend on the flexibility and quality of the software. If the other software does everything you want, then there is no need to spend more money, but if something in C1 appeals to you (try the colour editor, including the skin tone editor) then I don't think it makes much sense to save a bit of money.
05-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
For sure the initial price tag looks a bit intimidating. You can get 10% off by using an ambassador code which is not a lot, but every little bit helps.

I was happy to pay the price of admission to get away from Adobe with their atrocious quality control, auto-adapt everything approach, and of course the ransom-ware model.

If I were you, I'd try Capture One for 30 days and then see whether you cannot justify the expense. Just consider what you are spending on a lens and the time you'll be spending with the software and how much your final results depend on the flexibility and quality of the software. If the other software does everything you want, then there is no need to spend more money, but if something in C1 appeals to you (try the colour editor, including the skin tone editor) then I don't think it makes much sense to save a bit of money.
I'm past my 30 days on C1. Though I have another computer I could try it on, probably.
I'm spending very little money on lenses.
My FF lens purchases in recent weeks :

FA 50 / 1.4 : $100 cash, local seller
Sigma 70-300 APO DG : $109.50 shipped from Ebay
Sigma 28-300 f3.5-6.3 $60.49 from Amazon today (still haven't tried it! discount because it was missing both caps. I happen to have rear cap, and extra 62mm lens cap too)
Tamron 1.4x AF teleconverter : $150 from ebay . This is to use with my Sigma 10-20 DC.

Total in optics $420.

Sold my Rokinon APS-C Fisheye 8mm today for $100 . Didn't really play with this lens much .
Sold my Tamron APS-C 18-250mm two weeks ago for $170 . That was my main travel lens, but it was APS-C. Now have the 28-300 FF.

So actually I spent a net of $150 on FF lens upgrades only. $300 for Capone is twice all my lens switches.

Still have a DA 18-135WR for sale. I barely used it due to having the 18-250mm . And have DA 18-55. I'm hoping to sell those bundled with my K-30 and K200D bodies which are not needed anymore. One DSLR is all I need.
Have to pay for that $2400 K-1 II with D FA 28-105 and grip somehow

For sure I'll spend money on software though. Just don't think it will be $300 at once for one program. C1 doesn't do any PixelShift at all, also. LR doesn't do great PS, but at least suitable for tripod PS, if not DPS.
It's really hard for one program to check all the boxes regardless of price.
07-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #41

Looks like that worked.
Old thread I know.

But @madbrain your 4 year post is still relevant.

Corel Aftershot Pro still doesn't open my K-1 II DNG RAW files (version 3.7.0).

I used your custom camera profiles and now my RAW files open in Aftershot Pro! Thanks.

This is a red flag though. I kinda knew Aftershot was dying a slow death but this has me looking at alternatives.