Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By the way, the same situation with PF's tests - loss of details of K-1II. It's hard to deny.

05-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Somebody of your skills will definitely get better images with the K1 Mk2 vs your existing K3, MB!
Thanks for the vote of confidence...cheque's in the mail. I have won more competitions with images from my Pentax's, K20 thru to K3 Mk2, than with images from the Nikon D800. I print large, upto 44 inch wide and make sales from the Pentax images, so I approach this from a very hands on, practical and commercial viewpoint. That is not to say the D800 is "bad"...not at all...it produces a very good image, and the only reason I got rid of it was frustration with two systems. If I felt I was getting something extra out of the D800, I would have kept it and flicked Pentax.
I would add in the K1 Mk2 to update my system, I have enough lenses to do the job, but this sort of "reporting" does not instil a lot of confidence in the product.
Hopefully someone can dis-prove the claims made by DPR and set my mind (and I think that of many others) at rest....but until then...I will stay perched up here on the fence.
05-08-2018, 02:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Sadly what all this does is put doubt in peoples minds...and I am one of those. I have cancelled my order of the K1 Mk2, it is a lot of money and I want to spend that on something that is going to help me get better images.
So for now I stay with the K3 Mk2 until this gets sorted out. I had a D800 and let that go because I was not convinced I was getting any better images from that over the K3.
Back on the fence for now.
Happy to loan you a K-1 when I get back (mid June)..... hard to beat at under $2k aussie with dcxpert and a 20% of ebay deal.

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-08-2018 at 02:57 AM.
05-08-2018, 03:24 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe they will keep running the K-1 main boards and offer both cameras at different prices. I’ve concluded I’ll just keep my K-1 and second-hand KP.

05-08-2018, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Happy to loan you a K-1 when I get back (mid June)..... hard to beat at under $2k aussie with dcxpert and a 20% of ebay deal.
I will take you up on that.
Cheers
05-08-2018, 05:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

K-1 mk1 was selling for 1500 euros for a short while a month ago here and now I have some regrets buying mk2 for 2079€. For long exposures - superb, for starry skies - unknown.
05-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never mind the Noise... The bigger issue with the MK2 is:
- Video should have been upgraded to 4K
- AF is still behind others
- FPS is well below the new SOnyA7III

If they improved on these dimensions, then the "Noise vs. Detail" would be a background issue.

To be Honest, after many years of supporting Pentax (I used to be a very vocal supporter of the brand in Consumers Report forum) I am now thinking of moving to Sony for the above stated reasons... After all Sony makes the best sensors and releases on their camera first.

05-08-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote

If they improved on these dimensions, then the "Noise vs. Detail" would be a background issue.

To be Honest, after many years of supporting Pentax (I used to be a very vocal supporter of the brand in Consumers Report forum) I am now thinking of moving to Sony for the above stated reasons... After all Sony makes the best sensors and releases on their camera first.
I was pretty confident that I'd be updating to the K1ii from my K3ii. But, I wanted to wait for testing to come in. Among other factors, the DPR review put the damper on my enthusiasm for the camera. Adding to that, I got to see the A7Riii in action this weekend, and the results were really fantastic. I'm considering the same move as you, to Sony for the A7iii. And I would have done it yesterday if only their lens catalog was broader. If they had half of the glass that Pentax did, it would have been immediate, but they really don't have much by comparison. Adding to that, their glass is really expensive. It's a tough call.
05-08-2018, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
I was pretty confident that I'd be updating to the K1ii from my K3ii. But, I wanted to wait for testing to come in. Among other factors, the DPR review put the damper on my enthusiasm for the camera. Adding to that, I got to see the A7Riii in action this weekend, and the results were really fantastic. I'm considering the same move as you, to Sony for the A7iii. And I would have done it yesterday if only their lens catalog was broader. If they had half of the glass that Pentax did, it would have been immediate, but they really don't have much by comparison. Adding to that, their glass is really expensive. It's a tough call.
Agree on glass/ I have done research on the lens situation and
1) You can use Cannon Glass with adaptor and get full functionality.. some degradation in AF performance but people still do it.
2) I believe that Tamron and Sigma will expand their offering for E mount given the likely position Sony will have
3) You can use an adaptor for Pentax glass but deal with MF and manual aperture ( I think).
05-08-2018, 09:59 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Same old same old, a new camera model, some switch to Pentax because of it, some leave Pentax because of it, as long as we have more coming than going Pentax will do alright.

Last edited by normhead; 05-08-2018 at 06:54 PM.
05-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Three steps forward, two steps back?
05-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Same old same old, a new camera model, some switch Pentax because of it, some leave Pentax because of it, as long as we have more coming than going Pentax will do alright.
Exactly
05-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just emailed Ricoh Imaging to ask when the send-in upgrade protocol will be published.
05-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote

Certainly agree on the video 4K aspect, wish Pentax had done it too. The AF in the K-1 II is more than good enough for me, though, but I haven't tried a Sony. Sony doesn't have as many lenses available, though, and they tend to cost more., if the body is the same price.
A7 III is 24 MP also, which may matter to some that print very large. I think it still costs me less to have a Lumix DC-GX85 for 4K video in addition to the K-1 II, vs having a single Sony A7 III body and more expensive lenses. The Lumix is really tiny, about the size of one FF lens, and I can still carry both 2 cameras if I need to. Lenses are very small too. And of course I can use Pentax lenses on it as well (though not in AF mode).

---------- Post added 05-08-18 at 05:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
A7 III or A7R III ? Those are cameras at very different prices. Agree with you about Sony lens availability and prices, that is the killer.
05-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote

A7 III or A7R III ? Those are cameras at very different prices. Agree with you about Sony lens availability and prices, that is the killer.
I saw the A7Riii in action, which inspired me to do some research. I don't want 42mp images, and the feature set and performance offered by the A7iii is pretty stellar. The only hold up for me, as I said, is the lack of a full range of lenses. I'd essentially be trading my full Pentax kit for the A7iii with the 24-105 & the 85 1.8. I really really love my Pentax lenses, so I'm going to let the problem simmer for a while before making a big change.