Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2018, 02:01 AM - 2 Likes   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Maybe I did, or maybe not, but my reply was about your crop/screenshots of the DPR review tool, not the crops of your own processing of the RAW files.
What I was saying is that those JPEGs of the DPR tool look completely different than when I go directly to the corresponding DPR review tool URL for the same cameras and ISO.
They looked different both in terms of colors and amount of detail. Unfortunately, Pentaxforums very highly compresses any files uploaded. I have some Pixelshift files from my K-1 II which are nearly 200MB. I can generate a 3MB JPG from them. And then PF compresses them to 180KB ... That makes PF uploads pretty useless for purposes of image comparison, unfortunately
NICE FIND!!! They changed the k-1 Mk II images!!! Check also the file sizes!!!

NOW

BEFORE:

05-11-2018, 02:09 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
NICE FIND!!! They changed the k-1 Mk II images!!! Check also the file sizes!!!

NOW

BEFORE:
Wow . Seems like DPR has an egg on its face. Maybe it was them who cooked the RAW files, and not Pentax ? But actually, only the JPEG file size changed, not the RAW file size. Yet "RAW" was selected. So I wonder why the image looks different if file size did not change.
Do you still have the copy of the previous RAW file, and can you compare it with the current one ?
05-11-2018, 02:22 AM   #198
Pentaxian

DNG are the same then there was a problem with JPEG conversion of the RAW.

Also here:
Weird stuff - changing files over time - PentaxForums.com
05-11-2018, 02:41 AM   #199
Veteran Member

DNG are the same then there was a problem with JPEG conversion of the RAW.

Also here:
Weird stuff - changing files over time - PentaxForums.com
So why did your 2 screenshots look so different, since you had selected RAW in both ?

05-11-2018, 02:47 AM   #200
Pentaxian

So why did your 2 screenshots look so different, since you had selected RAW in both ?
Because what you see in the DPR comparison tool, that is a web tool, isn't the real RAW but a JPEG developed directly from the RAW.
05-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #201
Veteran Member

Because what you see in the DPR comparison tool, that is a web tool, isn't the real RAW but a JPEG developed directly from the RAW.
Sure, but if the RAWs haven't changed, the developed JPEGs that the tool shows when you click "RAW" shouldn't change either.
Unless they have changed not just the OOC JPEG files, but the output of the processing of unchanged RAW files.
05-11-2018, 03:22 AM   #202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the raws have changed I just downloaded the new one and the old one had camera raw process version 6.7, the new one version 10.

05-11-2018, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #203
Pentaxian

Sure, but if the RAWs haven't changed, the developed JPEGs that the tool shows when you click "RAW" shouldn't change either.
Unless they have changed not just the OOC JPEG files, but the output of the processing of unchanged RAW files.
When you click RAW you are not watching the JPEG inside the RAW but a JPEG that they have processed.
05-11-2018, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Changing [RAWs RAW-linked, and separately displayed]* jpegs without attribution is beyond dishonest. It is active sabotage. At this point they should take down the entire article, confess, and start over.

*edited for accuracy. It is now beyond confusing what they’re doing.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-11-2018 at 06:02 AM.
05-11-2018, 04:24 AM   #205
Veteran Member

When you click RAW you are not watching the JPEG inside the RAW but a JPEG that they have processed.
Yes, I get that. So, to recap :
1) DPR changed the files from OOC JPEGs . Your screenshots clearly show this - file sizes of JPEGs have changed.
2) DPR left the RAW files alone for download Your screenshots show RAW file size is unchanged.
3) DPR have changed the JPEGs that are shown when you click "RAW" in their comparison tool . Ie. they have reprocessed the RAW files to JPEG

Last edited by madbrain; 05-11-2018 at 04:29 AM.
05-11-2018, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Changing RAWs and jpegs without attribution is beyond dishonest. It is active sabotage. At this point they should take down the entire article, confess, and start over.
No RAW change, they changed the processed JPEG from RAW. Adding the different and defective lens I'm with you about "At this point they should take down the entire article, confess, and start over.".
05-11-2018, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #207
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They nullify Pentax's standard raw adjustments in lightroom and apply their own WB and exposure compensation. First pic is wat DPReview shows us, second is what is loaded into lightroom by default with noise and sharpness adjustments:

05-11-2018, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #208
Veteran Member

That is quite weird, if DNG has process version tag it means it was processed and saved again as DNG. OOC DNG RAW EXIF from K-1 does not have any process version -tags. I can take a TIFF anytime and add postprocessing to the file and save it again as DNG if I want. What a mess.
05-11-2018, 04:48 AM   #209
Pentaxian

I have to add that they shot also with D-Range highlights correction at ON. This affected also the RAW.
05-11-2018, 05:19 AM   #210
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excuse me, the crops are from this procedure: K-1II review... Opportunity to get banned on DPR - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Here 12800 ISO:

That in DPR comparison tool is:

Where the k-1 MkII absolutely shines is in the DPR Low Light test.... I can't explain why so much difference between the two scenes:

at:
Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

This with RAW comparison... If you select JPEG the result is reversed again...
The copper coin does have more detail but much of the bill has less detail in the new K-1 sample. Are these samples from the original DPR ..sample image or are they samples from the K-1 II image recently posted by DPR.
Closed Thread