Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #331
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
"I think that the image quality of K-1 Mark II is not as bad as DPReview says ",a long article from a user.
PENTAX K-1 Mark II????????K-1??????????DPReview?????????? - ?????
WOW! Astonish!

05-15-2018, 02:31 AM   #332
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice test. No real cause for concern, but also no real reason to upgrade since noise performance of the K-1 is already very good. I think the difference doesn't justify the investment. Maybe with hand held pixelshift and improved AF tracking in the equation for some people it will.
05-15-2018, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #333
Pentaxian

I decided to do the switch
05-15-2018, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
../..but also no real reason to upgrade since noise performance of the K-1 is already very good. I think the difference doesn't justify the investment. Maybe with hand held pixelshift and improved AF tracking in the equation for some people it will.
Not sure about no difference. I believe that difference could be greater than expected. For example, Pixel Shift mode should be concerned by this upgrade by taking advantage of color improvement of 4 frames... Don't you think so?
Anyway, K-1 II should not be "worse" than K-1, should it be?

05-15-2018, 05:16 AM   #335
Veteran Member

Well, in my point of view it is. But it is my view and apparently no one else will ever meet the exact conditions to see documented issues :O My only wish when buying mk2 was to get device as good as mk1. So far, long exposures are the definite positive and limited ISO range between 100 and 400 the negative. I have not seen or had the possibility to try photograph some starry skies with mk2.
05-15-2018, 06:43 AM - 4 Likes   #336
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Get your tinfoil hats ready. A (couple) of big companies will want to kill the market Pentax has (marginal to non- existent/ competitive) . Are you people adults? I honestly doubt that and can' t imagine you are taken seriously. You advocate that 1% like is the holynes of photography and yet blabberd when others came with other moderate improvements compared to Pentax. Pentax has 0 innovation (look the word up before citting the x year old sensor improvements, yada yada) , but is a a camera (whatever model you have) . So, what' s this teenagerish acting?
I tend to think in terms of 'steps' - of changes which eliminate impediments to what I do - instead of 'innovations' - and in that sense I have enjoyed three 'steps' since I moved up from Kodak Instamatic to 35mm in 1969 {incidentally, moving up to 35mm was not one of those 'steps' - it didn't affect my photography as much as these 'steps' did}:

1979: Going from rangefinder to SLR. Having a single focal length hindered my photography because it chained perspective to framing and because there were some photographs I missed because I couldn't back up enough.

1995: Going from manual focus to auto focus

2006: going from film to digital

I should mention that I never had a darkroom. For most of the film era, I shot Kodachrome and depended on professional development to provide my images. Today, I do as little PP as possible, because most of my discretionary time goes to my long-term project of converting film images to digital; inspecting at 100%, I find that most images have problems, such as scratches and mold spots for me to correct, so I have no desire to spend even more computer time on my hobby, so SOOC JPEG quality is very important to me.

Also, I am not a pixel peeker - I believe one should look at a photo as a whole, not though a magnifying glass - and I have never been a fan of corner-to-corner sharpness - if something is important, I will put it in the center of the image.

Last night my wife and I were at the dinner provided by her employer at the end of every academic year {she is a college administrator}. I took one discrete picture with the Pentax Q-7 I was carrying in my suit coat jacket. As the dinner progressed, I realized how I was irritated by the flash-flash-flash coming from the college PR person; the flash was annoying, and looking at my picture, I'm convinced she wasn't gaining anything. As digital has progressed, I have become increasingly convinced that flash is not needed in most circumstances, and in many - by creating shadows or washing out natural lighting - it makes things worse. With the stability provided by IBIS, I find that I hardly ever use flash any more - I would rather tolerate minor motion blur.

In that context, I firmly believe that the 'accelerator' will provide one last step for me {I am70 years old} - by making much higher ISO values useable to me, I gain ability to take pictures anywhere at anytime without motion blur or use of flash other than very rare fill flash. My view is not that of a professional artist like MJKoski, but I'm guessing there are a lot more like me, and hundreds of parents/grandparents will really benefit from cameras that deliver solid photographs without need of flash, expensive "f/2.8" lenses, or DarkRoom work.

Last edited by reh321; 05-15-2018 at 06:55 AM.
05-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Not sure about no difference. I believe that difference could be greater than expected. For example, Pixel Shift mode should be concerned by this upgrade by taking advantage of color improvement of 4 frames... Don't you think so?
Anyway, K-1 II should not be "worse" than K-1, should it be?
You can see the differences to make a decision on whether there is improvement enough to upgrade. When people started posting images it was pretty clear there is significant improvement. There was a thread started here by someone that did a nice job photographing a book with glass objects on top of a dresser with a K-1 and K-1MKII that gave an excellent comparison. Barely anyone noticed that thread. I can not even find it now.

The PF comparisons clearly show the difference. Using the DPR Studio Scene you can compare against other brands to see the difference. You can see how the K-1MKII is handling high ISO by simply starting at ISO 100 then increase the ISO step by step. To see how it handles Black, White, and Grey as ISO increases you can see that here. If you want to see how the K-1MKII handles color as the ISO increases can been seen here. The color comparison shows also how much better the black is being handled as ISO increases. It also dispels the idea that there is blurring and loss of detail happening when ISO increases. Doing the same thing anywhere on the grey background it is clear how the K-1MKII is handling increases in ISO compared to the other cameras.

For me it is pretty clear to have my K-1 upgraded.

05-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #338
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As the dinner progressed, I realized how I was irritated by the flash-flash-flash coming from the college PR person; the flash was annoying, and looking at my picture, I'm convinced she wasn't gaining anything. As digital has progressed, I have become increasingly convinced that flash is not needed in most circumstances, and in many - by creating shadows or washing out natural lighting - it makes things worse. With the stability provided by IBIS, I find that I hardly ever use flash any more - I would rather tolerate minor motion blur.
Well, as someone who needs to do events on occasion, I would say that until we have super clean iso 12,800 or better, it's much safer when shooting an event to use a flash. Not only can one be surer of the amount of lighting, but it's far easier to balance in post consistently. Also, remember that the subject action is what needs to be frozen in these situations, and flash does that. I have tried my best to do w/o flash, and have been rewarded with very low "successful" shot rates. That you managed to get a shot or 2 successfully w/o flash isn't really pertinent in this situation---and I agree with you that flash is intrusive!
05-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"I think that the image quality of K-1 Mark II is not as bad as DPReview says ",a long article from a user.
Thanks for this. MUCH more useful in that it has more real-world sample photos, of varying subjects in varying conditions.
05-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, as someone who needs to do events on occasion, I would say that until we have super clean iso 12,800 or better, it's much safer when shooting an event to use a flash. Not only can one be surer of the amount of lighting, but it's far easier to balance in post consistently. Also, remember that the subject action is what needs to be frozen in these situations, and flash does that. I have tried my best to do w/o flash, and have been rewarded with very low "successful" shot rates. That you managed to get a shot or 2 successfully w/o flash isn't really pertinent in this situation---and I agree with you that flash is intrusive!
I would agree that flash might still be needed for the more athletic events, such as the 50 foot dash down the aisle {my bride of 39 years may hold the world record} and the bouquet toss ... but I really doubt that it is needed for exchanging vows, and for otherslow-moving events such as First Communion and Confirmation.
05-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #341
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I would agree that flash might still be needed for the more athletic events, such as the 50 foot dash down the aisle {my bride of 39 years may hold the world record} and the bouquet toss ... but I really doubt that it is needed for exchanging vows, and for otherslow-moving events such as First Communion and Confirmation.
It's needed in events like I do, dinners and receptions at museums, because no one is ever really still, and you can't give the press anything with blur. And the museum lighting can be very dim. There's more to events than weddings....
05-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not a K-1 owner and don't have an dog in this fight but I have to say I prefer the K-1 images over the K1ii. There does appear to be some detail loss in some of those examples at higher ISOs.
Not sure what the heck is going on because I'm very happy with the KP and coprocessor. Maybe the K-1 sensor is just not as amenable to the coprocessor tech.
05-15-2018, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #344
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I'm not a K-1 owner and don't have an dog in this fight but I have to say I prefer the K-1 images over the K1ii. There does appear to be some detail loss in some of those examples at higher ISOs.
Not sure what the heck is going on because I'm very happy with the KP and coprocessor. Maybe the K-1 sensor is just not as amenable to the coprocessor tech.
Hello caliscouser,
from what I see, the "loss" of details depends on subjects. But what it seems obvious to my eyes, is that NR is more efficient with the K1 II. The loss of details from one to the other makes little difference compared to NR, in other words... That is the first point.
About Pixel Shift mode (I mean "Classic" PS), I would like more samples between the two cameras, I wouldn't be surprised by better results for the K1 II over the K1. Let's wait and see for further serious comparisons as hisway36 kindly provided us...
05-15-2018, 02:30 PM - 3 Likes   #345
Veteran Member

There is only one company they forgot to mention: Ricoh/Pentax.
Closed Thread