Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2018, 06:40 AM - 3 Likes   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
If you look at the TechartPro website,their adapter is to Leica M mount,so attach a M to K adapter and the motor in the adapter moves around and acquires focus from a Pentax lens.The university of YouTube has plenty of things to watch.

Fotodiox copied the TAP and is a cheaper version,their website will say that the firmware cant be updated but it can. All you do is use the TechartPro firmware!

The $$$ony bodies to pair with these adapters are A7 2&3,A9,A7r2&3 and A6300/6500.
This needs some rough focusing first and then the adapter finishes off the process. Certainly it isn't something that is going to have great tracking auto focus or be super-speedy.

Overall, I do find the focus on specifications to be a bit aggravating. The goal should be to create good images, not to have cameras with top end technical specs. With that in mind, a photographer's skill is far more important than the camera used.

I still use my K-01 a lot and it does pretty decently.

It isn't fast, doesn't have the best dynamic range out there, doesn't have top end anything, but compared to what Ansel Adams used, it is tiny and much faster.

05-18-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
... True! Stills, dead things. Not all are searching just that in a camera. To take a camera and make it exclusively for one type of shooting (with other small branches coming from it) is bad Engineering. ...
Designing a camera for only one type of shooting might be short sighted product planning but that one-type-only camera could be very well engineered.

---------- Post added 05-18-18 at 08:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This needs some rough focusing first and then the adapter finishes off the process. ...
Like the 1.4x tele/AF adapter ?
05-18-2018, 07:14 AM - 7 Likes   #408
Veteran Member

True! Stills, dead things. Not all are searching just that in a camera. To take a camera and make it exclusively for one type of shooting (with other small branches coming from it) is bad Engineering.
Give me a K1 for a few days (the friend I've got with K1 went back to Italy for a year or so and I don't have a place to rent one) and tell me what subjects you want me to photograph. But make sure you give me some real challenges because I get bored very quickly. Yes, Pentax af is behind competition, but this doesn't mean that is bad. The learning process takes a little time and the approach is a little different than shooting with Canon/Nikon. There is a very good way in getting the best results from the gear you have. It is called PRACTICE! I've shot hundreds of pigeons in flight from my balcony while I was searching for the best combinations of settings and I've spent lots of hours/days trying to keep them in the frame as long as I could with tele lenses in order to not be in the situation to rely only on the af of the camera. I still go out in my balcony once a week and with my camera I'm looking at pigeons in flight just to be in shape. Practice like this for the next 2-3 months with your Pentax camera and then if you still think that you can't get it to work as you wish, just change the system. One thing I can tell you, you can shoot plenty of daily action with K1 (people walking on street, swans on the lake, running bicycles, etc.), not only dead things.
05-18-2018, 09:17 AM - 4 Likes   #409
Pentaxian

Hello,

True that, I only know from the pictures others (like you) post, and the little hours I played with a K1 (when it was launched) . All I can say, it ain' t good marketing for the technology (and this is without a single bit of resentment or hatred ) .

True! Stills, dead things. Not all are searching just that in a camera. To take a camera and make it exclusively for one type of shooting (with other small branches coming from it) is bad Engineering.

I was referring to the improvement of the Pentax IBIS, not lack of it. You search for IBIS cause you know what effects have the lacking of it. But I am talking about functions that attract amateur, hobbyist or semi- pro shooters (none of them ever mentioned to me they wanted IBIS; they were satisfied with Lens stabilization) .

It may be competitive, but I tell you what. I prefer waiting for the A7R Mk 3 to come, to buy a Mk 2 cheaper than a K1 Mk1. I tested them both (k1 and A7Rii) , and although I am a Pentax user, and as I always stated, I like them cause they fine tuned so many features, they just seem obsolete compared to others, in what I was searching for. But it' s OK, cause not all the clients search for that one specific thing (which they don' t seem to understand, since they push a camera for one type of shooting only) . But it' s their management decision. The market will prove them right or wrong.

645, they will lose that slice of market as well. Look what Hassy brought, look at Fuji. People drool for those cameras, and started pre- ordering them like crazy.

The hell with the reviews. People using Nikon liked my K5 by testing it. Not from what they' ve read. When people buy cameras, they buy them by asking at least one guy that has one (or a few) . For starters, I would recommend Pentax. But don' t buy anything new, as you' ll take a hit in the resale.

All the best!
If the Pentax camera is only good for "stills and dead things," Then the Sony cameras are only good for indoor things. Their badly-engineered fragile bodies are not robust enough for outdoor use where it rains, snows, sleets, sprays sea water, etc.

And some of us users definitely do prefer IBIS for it's superior functionality (e.g., correcting roll movement of the camera) and amazing add-on features such horizon leveling, pixel shift, and astrotracer. Why add all the cost of stabilization to every lens with an inferior technology when a better technology paid for once can stabilize every lens? Canon's and Nikon's stabilized lenses are only good for making Canon and Nikon a lot of profits.

All of this is just like the silly mirrorless-is-small hype. Yes, the camera is smaller, but then almost every lens is bigger to compensate for the under-sized focal flange. Maybe it's OK for photographers with just one kit lens, but the more lenses you have, the more bulky a mirrorless system becomes because of all the added volume in every lens

P.S., Fuji's sales of digital cameras are dropping. Their financial reports prove people are not ordering them like crazy.

Last edited by photoptimist; 05-18-2018 at 03:43 PM.
05-18-2018, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I don't get the huge desire for a smaller camera. I do a lot of hiking with mine. And I will gladly trade off a little bit of size/weight for something that has a decent sized grip that makes it easy to hold steady. Ergonomics are important.
If I want something tiny to carry, I'd just use the phone camera.
05-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I still use my K-01 a lot and it does pretty decently.
That photo is nice,my K-01 does its job really well these days.It carries the spare battery and 40mm around in the K-1 bag.
05-18-2018, 03:50 PM - 3 Likes   #412
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If the Pentax camera is only good for "stills and dead things," Then the Sony cameras are only good for indoor things. Their badly-engineered fragile bodies are not robust enough for outdoor use where it rains, snows, sleets, sprays sea water, etc.

And some of us users definitely do prefer IBIS for it's superior functionality (e.g., correcting roll movement of the camera) and amazing add-on features such horizon leveling, pixel shift, and astrotracer. Why add all the cost of stabilization to every lens with an inferior technology when a better technology paid for once can stabilize every lens? Canon's and Nikon's stabilized lenses are only good for making Canon and Nikon a lot of profits.

All of this is just like the silly mirrorless-is-small hype. Yes, the camera is smaller, but then almost every lens is bigger to compensate for the under-sized focal flange. Maybe it's OK for photographers with just one kit lens, but the more lenses you have, the more bulky a mirrorless system becomes because of all the added volume in every lens

P.S., Fuji's sales of digital cameras are dropping. Their financial reports prove people are not ordering them like crazy.
Indeed, on all points. I loved my Sony A850, but it was an old school camera. I loved my A7R, but it had its issues, and while the ability to use any lens ever made was very cool indeed, the performance of wide angles was , uh, problematic, and indeed you needed to get yourself a very small lens (like a Pentax!) to have the lens and adapter combo remain small. Other lenses, and pretty much all the modern ones, were hardly small. While the total package was smaller than a K1 and native lenses, it wasn't that much smaller---smaller enough to make a big difference.

But then, people should take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm one of those types that thinks a camera can be too small....

05-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #413
Pentaxian

Fuji's sales of digital cameras are dropping. Their financial reports prove people are not ordering them like crazy.
They are showing steady growth in all parts of their photographic division.Thats their buisness plan"steady growth".Their goal is like canon/$$$ony to be number one in what they do,in Fuji's case its M/L stuff.They want to surpass $$$ony, so its a fair challenge.

A couple of new bodies to come(one in a few days,and 2 more towards PhotoKina) so they provide performance/pricepoint/formfactor to a wide range of buyers.Their eggs are not in one basket.
05-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #414
Pentaxian

They are showing steady growth in all parts of their photographic division.Thats their buisness plan"steady growth".Their goal is like canon/$$$ony to be number one in what they do,in Fuji's case its M/L stuff.They want to surpass $$$ony, so its a fair challenge.

A couple of new bodies to come(one in a few days,and 2 more towards PhotoKina) so they provide performance/pricepoint/formfactor to a wide range of buyers.Their eggs are not in one basket.
And yet the most recent quarter was a downer so that "steady growth" ain't so steady.
05-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #415
Pentaxian

"steady growth" ain't so steady.
Quarterly figures are misleading if the preceding quarter was the BEST EVER!

Look at 2017 and 2018 figures.
05-18-2018, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #416
Pentaxian

Quarterly figures are misleading if the preceding quarter was the BEST EVER!

Look at 2017 and 2018 figures.
But this quarter is worse that the quarter of one year ago which seems to corroborate the CIPA figures of a mirrorless slump.
05-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #417
Pentaxian

Quarter is merely that 3 months,the steady growth is there between 2017 figures and 2018.If you look at the overall BIG picture!

Fuji is unique in that their "Kaizen" updates get passed down to older models where possible(some things cant due to differences between Xtrans 1/2/3...So in effect,these updates cannibalise the sales figures.However, Fuji dont look at it from that perspective.Their view is to retain users and expand as their tech increases,which it does at a reasonably good rate(but thats only my opinion).

Photo imaging up 7.8%...Electronic imaging up 27.2%...Optical devices up 10.4%....Overall the comination of those 3 is up 12.1%.(2017 to 2018)

So throw in the rest of Fujifilm(healthcare and cosmetics) and they are achieving "steady growth".
05-18-2018, 06:51 PM - 4 Likes   #418
Pentaxian

Quarter is merely that 3 months,the steady growth is there between 2017 figures and 2018.If you look at the overall BIG picture!

Fuji is unique in that their "Kaizen" updates get passed down to older models where possible(some things cant due to differences between Xtrans 1/2/3...So in effect,these updates cannibalise the sales figures.However, Fuji dont look at it from that perspective.Their view is to retain users and expand as their tech increases,which it does at a reasonably good rate(but thats only my opinion).

Photo imaging up 7.8%...Electronic imaging up 27.2%...Optical devices up 10.4%....Overall the comination of those 3 is up 12.1%.(2017 to 2018)

So throw in the rest of Fujifilm(healthcare and cosmetics) and they are achieving "steady growth".

This is a K1 MkII thread. Why are you going on and on about Fuji cameras?

I happen to also own a bunch of the latest Fuji X gear. I still own a Fuji "IR converted" FinePix S3 Pro, and before that owned the S1 and S2 Pros. So you can see that my digital experience with Fuji goes back pretty far.

But you don't see me hijacking a Pentax K1 thread and discussing how wonderful Fuji gear and Fuji the company is on a Pentax K1 MkII thread.

I too suggest we get back to discussing the new K1 MkII on this thread.
05-19-2018, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #419
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I too suggest we get back to discussing the new K1 MkII on this thread.

Sounds like a great idea.
05-20-2018, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #420
Veteran Member

Their badly-engineered fragile bodies are not robust enough for outdoor use where it rains, snows, sleets, sprays sea water, etc.
Nah, as badly engineered they are, R2 survived this and let me expose pictures:

While KP which I used this January in similar conditions failed to release the shutter in few hours time and I had to revert to battery grip shutter release. Pentax in all its WR glory has failed on me more than Sony K-1 had other problems like freezing articular screen and stuck IBIS (sensor shift).
Closed Thread