Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-1II review... Opportunity to get banned on DPR

K1ii review up. 79%. Raw file massaging via accelerator gets a kicking. AF gets a kicking. Jpeg colours get a kicking. Too heavy, too slow, video is crap, yadda, yadda.

Link to conclusion
Thread title is very tongue in cheek for those that don't get my dry sense of humour

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-10-2018 at 04:18 AM.
05-07-2018, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can no longer take that site seriously. One of the staff is a notorious Sony fanboy with a much too high opinion of himself.
05-07-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #3

DPR is fully in the tank for Sony...
That said, I hope they can add a toggle to turn off the accelerator NR in a firmware update. I prefer to do my own noise reduction in post.
05-07-2018, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Wow the k1 had an 84 so these upgrades in the k1ii have really made it worse

05-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No one expected DPR to provide anything other than a half-hearted review of the K-1 II.

Interesting that DPR say they asked RAW image experts Iliah Berg and Bill Claff to analyse the K-1 II's RAW files for evidence of NR. It would be good to see their work on this.
05-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was sad seeing Chris and Jordan from CSTV go over to DPreview, hope they'll raise the overall level of "reviews" that site provides..
05-07-2018, 08:25 AM - 7 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Cross posted from the other thread on this topic.

After all the bother about noise at high ISO being so important that I've seen threads where people advocated buying 12MP full frame over a 16 MP APS-c camera for the supposed better high ISO performance, even when the APS-c had a much higher rating on DxO, I refuse to even read this article.

DPR used low light performance to trash Pentax when Pentax was already pretty good at it, now that Pentax has put some money into increasing low light performance, it's not worth upgrading for. You will never see a bunch of more two faced, target changing hypocrites than DPR.

The question is not whether or not everyone should upgrade, the question is who should upgrade. Wedding photographers, come to mind. Every little bit of high ISO performance counts. Anyone doing low light candids on a regular basis or event photography. And I'm completely over the top tired of having to correct the nonsense published over at DPR. It's getting to the point where if I see DPR in a thread, I'm not going to read it, except to ask folks not to repeat what they read over there, over here.

DPR deserves the NPF label. Not Pentax Friendly.
In the 7 years of cruisiing the internet since I became an active PF member, I have not one quote from DPR I ever felt was worth posting. I refer to Imaging Resources , Photozone and other sites all the time. If after 7 years all a site has done is waste your time maybe it's time to start hoping for it's demise. In my book, DPR is doomed.

But maybe someone can post something useful they rad on DPR to justify it's existence. Maybe I just missed it. Until someone does I'm comparing them to the anit-christ, and crossing myself every time I hear them mentioned. And I'm not even Catholic. It's just a precaution lest i become infected.

The site is truly diseased.

Last edited by normhead; 05-07-2018 at 08:35 AM.
05-07-2018, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-1ii and I agree with much of the review. Sorry.

Users here have found the same issues with NR on higher ISO images. And the handheld PS isn't that big a deal. And the video is crap (although I suspect no one who buys the camera cares).

EDIT: oops. I didn't realize they used different lenses. The center has different results than the edges re the less sharp ii vs i. If you go to the dynamic range part of the review and compare the test shot vs K-1 the results differ widely depending on where on the image you look; lower right is much better on K-1 but other parts are the same or even favor the K-1ii. Lower left is quite different than upper right, eg.

Last edited by Oakland Rob; 05-07-2018 at 09:04 AM.
05-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

On the positive side, perhaps reviews like this will encourage Ricoh to release a few firmware enhancements for the K-1 II (and K-1) to counter some of the mean things DPR said.

I'm thinking tweaks to video features, AF point visibility etc, perhaps even enable some software control over the behavior of the Accelerator chip.
05-07-2018, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Guess I'm in the minority, having both the K-1 & K-1 II, I do like the improvements, especially in the AF. They both make great images, what else is needed, the rest is up to the photographer. As far as DPR, the best way to hurt them is to ignore them, don't click on their website, that's how they make their money whether you agree with them or not.
05-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
On the positive side, perhaps reviews like this will encourage Ricoh to release a few firmware enhancements for the K-1 II (and K-1) to counter some of the mean things DPR said.

I'm thinking tweaks to video features, AF point visibility etc, perhaps even enable some software control over the behavior of the Accelerator chip.
That's my hope as well. The AF points are a dull red- a bright green would be easier to see.
ISO 12800 looks really bad in the DPR results compared to the other FF cameras (including the K-1).
If you're going to apply some NR via the accelerator chip, it should be lot more gradual as you hit the higher ISOs, but currently the detail drop-off from 6400 to 12800 is huge and unacceptable. Pentax needs to fix that; let the user decide when and how much NR to apply.
05-07-2018, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DPR is a site for those who like to brag about their camera specs.

"if it don't have 45 fps; 678 focus points; and a coffee maker, I am not buying it".
05-07-2018, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Guess I'm in the minority, having both the K-1 & K-1 II, I do like the improvements, especially in the AF. They both make great images, what else is needed, the rest is up to the photographer. As far as DPR, the best way to hurt them is to ignore them, don't click on their website, that's how they make their money whether you agree with them or not.
Thanks for posting... all the "the improvements aren't worth it" nonsense is really getting out of hand. IN what ludicrous imaginary universe do a group of engineers work on improving a product for a year and a half and come up with nothing, and then try and sell that "nothing" to the public?

With regards to the K-1ii most of the site seem to be becoming bunch of lunatics.

People need to understand that being a person who doesn't appreciate the improvements shouldn't lead to them becoming the voice of the forum. There seem to be members on this site who bought the K-1ii just to trash it. But the simple fact remains one member's inability to understand and make use of the improvements doesn't mean they aren't there. It just means some are incapable fo accurately assessing their value.

Last edited by normhead; 05-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.
05-07-2018, 09:24 AM - 3 Likes   #14
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
K1ii review up. 79%. Raw file massaging via accelerator gets a kicking. AF gets a kicking. Jpeg colours get a kicking. Too heavy, too slow, video is crap, yadda, yadda.

Link to conclusion
Thread title is very tongue in cheek for those that don't get my dry sense of humour
You see that the glass is half-empty. Wrong way. It's objective review. I see that the glass is half-full.

NR in RAW without the possibility to turn off is the worst thing for RAW shooters. I'm disappointed of such decision for K-1II.

The rest things are not bad, but a far behind the new cameras of N or C. Anyway, I like K-1. It would be enough for my photos.
As for K-1II - I can't plan to buy this camera, because of non-smart NR.

Last edited by ogl; 05-07-2018 at 10:54 AM.
05-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't think we could've expected much higher rating for such a minor upgrade. I bet the true successor for K-1 would be much higher rated, I think a lot of review websites value tech and hardware upgrades highly (hence creaming over Sony's in general)
Closed Thread