Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #16

I have some 1/10s perfectly usable shots made with K5 and DA55-300 zoomed at 300mm.. you need to concentrate, hold camera very lightly without using muscles much and press the shutter very gently. Like with gun With lenses like FA*24/2 I also have some 1-2 sec exposures usable. But of course sometimes it needs to repeate the shoot several times.

Olympus has advantage with smaller sensor, while K1 has bigger, heavier and the movement is more restricted due to FF lenses image circle not being much larger than sensor.

05-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My understanding is that oly has figured out how to use in lens shake reduction combined with in body shake reduction to allow for really long exposures hand held -- like a second or two. In my experience about a half second is your max with a Pentax camera's in body shake reduction. Others have mentioned different factors that can improve your results, but I do think Olympus is better in this respect.
I was able to pull half a second with very good clarity and detail, but it seems 2 seconds it's just too much without working a bit on my technique. Anyway, as Adam said, I can always bump up the ISO if need be. Still, the Oly is impressive.
05-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not impossible but also not 100% easy either. I have the first gen M10 with 3-way stabilization. It's a light and tiny camera compared to any K-mount DSLR and the lenses of equivalent field of view are also very small and light. You don't need very much strength or grip to hold a M10. With the right technique and zen concentration you can become a human tripod. Brace yourself, breathe, and relax. Become a human tripod.

I thought some u4/3 bodies with IBIS also work in tandem with in-lens-stabilization, like the M1 mk II. You can get something like 5 or 6 stops of stabilization. It's impression.
05-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe both Sony and Panasonic offer dual stabilisation with in body and lens, usually with in house lens only.

M4/3 is still a fairly large sensor size, and all others with ibis offer it during video too.

2 sec is a long time, but I’ve heard stories of night time Astro long exposures handheld as long as 10s each! Other systems are doing ibis REALLY well now.

This is a '60-Second' Handheld Photo of the Milky Way

05-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Olympus is similar to Pentax, the body only is stabilised...i dont know any of their lenses that are stabilised,they dont need it.Edit, theres the Pro 12-100 and 300mm that offer stabilisation with Oly bodies.

Panasonic (IBIS) cameras can work with their stabilised lenses(from memory is the 2nd generation of OIS).

The OMD em-1i uses the same stabilisation system as the em-10iii,so when i get time i'll do a test of the stabilisation at 2 seconds.

Last edited by surfar; 05-11-2018 at 05:10 PM.
05-08-2018, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
its hard to believe that the Oly delivers a consistent 2 seconds but it does.
I'm sure it's possible.

I'm sure it can happen more than once.

But to claim it consistently does so? As in, most of the time? Nope. The human body is not as stable as that, even highly trained snipers need something to brace on

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My understanding is that oly has figured out how to use in lens shake reduction combined with in body shake reduction to allow for really long exposures hand held -- like a second or two. In my experience about a half second is your max with a Pentax camera's in body shake reduction. Others have mentioned different factors that can improve your results, but I do think Olympus is better in this respect.
I'm sure the Oly camera is excellent, and that their IS is pretty good. But there's no magic involved. The human body is not made for being so still for such a long time, and the sensor/IS system simply do not have the room to compensate for such an amplitude of movement.

The key here is "consistently". I've captured handheld images at around a second with my K-3 and K-1. It can be done. But often, reliably? No way Jose.
05-08-2018, 05:32 AM   #22
Veteran Member

K-1 stabilization vs Olympus e-m1 mark 1 stabilization: is Oly really that good?

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm sure it's possible.

I'm sure it can happen more than once.

But to claim it consistently does so? As in, most of the time? Nope. The human body is not as stable as that, even highly trained snipers need something to brace on

I'm sure the Oly camera is excellent, and that their IS is pretty good. But there's no magic involved. The human body is not made for being so still for such a long time, and the sensor/IS system simply do not have the room to compensate for such an amplitude of movement.

The key here is "consistently". I've captured handheld images at around a second with my K-3 and K-1. It can be done. But often, reliably? No way Jose.

Its hard to believe, but yes id say consistently. I agree that the human body is not that stable, so it goes to show how good the stabilization system is

There is also other factors that come into play and technique and breathing are important

Last edited by Fcsnt54; 05-08-2018 at 05:38 AM.
05-08-2018, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If someone showed me an image I'd actually consider taking I'd be much more impressed.
05-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On thing that I noticed trying to get 2 seconds exposure with the K-1 was that I couldn't use the SR with the 2 second delay timer, which automatically disables the SR (I know this comes handy with the tripod). Also, I tried to enable the electronic shutter in Live View, but this also disables the SR. Is there any way to get past that?
05-08-2018, 05:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If someone showed me an image I'd actually consider taking I'd be much more impressed.

Ill need to reshoot the photos, but preference on focal length?

05-08-2018, 05:53 AM   #26
Pentaxian

18-135mm equivalent, something outdoors. I'm not thinking this is something I'd do where I could use a tripod. And a report on percentage of keepers would also be nice.

Here's a shot I did at 1/8 of a second, apart from blurred water I can't think of many things this would be useful for.
05-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

18-135mm equivalent, something outdoors. I'm not thinking this is something I'd do where I could use a tripod. And a report on percentage of keepers would also be nice.

Ok. Weather today looks like it will be good, hopefully it wont be windy. To make the tests even. Ill take 10 shots across each the focal lengths( lets say 24, 50, 100, 150, 200 35mm equivelant) have the camera on shutter speed priority at 2 seconds, there will be no tripod or anything to brace myself on.

05-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Something came up today to where I wasn't able to do the full test, I did manage to get some time to snap 8 images to at least show something for today. It was nothing special with the Olympus at 25mm (35mm equivalent being at 50mm). With only capturing 8, Id say 3 are very useable, 2 are passable, and 3 well I label them as my head still hurts from last night and my vision is still spinning.

I still have to figure out how I will post them, or at least make a contact sheet to show the images at once and upload that, but here is one of the acceptable ones

shutter priority, 2 seconds, camera picked the remaining settings, soooc JPG with no processing.

One more thing, I did not use a tripod, or prop myself up against anything. Also I would not normally have a shutter speed this long with out a tripod.
05-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Here's a shot I did at 1/8 of a second, apart from blurred water I can't think of many things this would be useful for.
I did some more testing outside this time, and I tend to agree with your statement on not sure on what it would be useful for. conditions were not the best super sunny and really windy, but I got some shots off. on average though between the wide end and the long end Id say it was about 30%-40%. and that was using the image I posted before as what acceptable for this test would be. In reality though I wouldn't claim any of them would be great outside of just posting on facebook. Long Exposures belong on a tripod.

Ill stand by my original unbiased comment that the Olympus has a great stabilization system, but I would say the one for Pentax is a tad better.

Oh and one last comment on the long exposures, outside of doing these tests. Either with the Pentax or Olympus, Not sure why anyone would want to look at a blank view finder for 2 seconds anyway. Just a thought
05-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I did some more testing outside this time, and I tend to agree with your statement on not sure on what it would be useful for. conditions were not the best super sunny and really windy, but I got some shots off. on average though between the wide end and the long end Id say it was about 30%-40%. and that was using the image I posted before as what acceptable for this test would be. In reality though I wouldn't claim any of them would be great outside of just posting on facebook. Long Exposures belong on a tripod.

Ill stand by my original unbiased comment that the Olympus has a great stabilization system, but I would say the one for Pentax is a tad better.

Oh and one last comment on the long exposures, outside of doing these tests. Either with the Pentax or Olympus, Not sure why anyone would want to look at a blank view finder for 2 seconds anyway. Just a thought
there is sometimes when you can’t bring tripod along, when hand held LE is handy. But really, this even if one could take 10 sec handheld shots of lets say traffic to make it look cool, does not make tripods not needed(obsolete?). It is great to use tripod, handy when shooting longer time just in case you want to carefully compose your shot or sequense takes longer period. how ever if your target is alive(humans, pets ect.) and moves, then higher ISO is your friend at dark. If some one said that pixel sift is useless (oly also has this) for moving subjects then how about this? also if you are let’s say on the bridge and it moves when a truck drives by, then it negates tripod and makes handheld shots SR more valuable. but those things does not happen so often. I tried to make couple LE shots with my Oly E5mII and kit lens 14-42, because it is so slow. but honestly it was not much better than K-1. 2 out of 8 or 10 was good enough.
clouds | that why they are skyscrapers, right? | repaap | Flickr

edit: this thread was about eMII so it is better obviously that older models...that was just example of my experiense with these machines.

Last edited by repaap; 05-10-2018 at 12:01 AM.