Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 stabilization vs Olympus e-m1 mark 1 stabilization: is Oly really that good?

So I was testing the K-1 stabilization vs an Oly user and he posted those images. He claims that they were taken at 2 seconds, without tripod. Is Oly stabilization really that good? I couldn't even come close with the K-1, but my hands are relatively shaky. Is it possible that he cheated? and how can I determine that without testing myself. To me, it looks TOO GOOD for 2 seconds, handheld. I couldn't come close with the K-1. In the second pic it's like there is no movement at all.

Last edited by Hattifnatt; 03-29-2019 at 09:48 PM.
05-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My best result with the K-1, I took like 10 shots. To my defense, I had like 5 coffees today
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-07-2018, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Is Oly stabilization really that good?
Oly only needs to stabilize a much smaller sensor assembly, so it should do better than K1.
it is a pity Pentax does not want to continue the Q mount, otherwise I would really like to see the SR performance on a new Q if Pentax decide to apply the newer SR tech on it.
05-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

The OMD EM1 Mark 1 is good (I have it and the K1) and the Mark II is better. I have never gotten a a 2 second shot from my Oly, but it's better than the K1. The K1 is fine, though. It works for me down to about 1/13, just enough to add a little blur to water.

The K1 is quite a bit better with color depth, though, which I notice every time I use it. They both have their strengths.

05-07-2018, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

It's probably much, much more related to technique, lens, camera weight, body of the user, how the person was braced, distance to subject, etc.

2 seconds without ANY help might be possible, but it would require

1-many trials )i.e. it's not an average image, to be sure)
2-luck
3-a wide focal length
4-a user with excellent technique, controlled breathing
5-maybe something against which to lean

The person might have cheated or not, however if that person claims that Oly delivers 2 seconds handheld exposures consistently, regardless of the conditions, then that person is lying. The amount of movement involved in holding still for two seconds prevents any company from making that claim.
05-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe I should ask him to try the same shot with tripod and compare. There should be some difference, right?
05-07-2018, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Technique, luck, and focal length definitely play a role. You might be able to get 0.5s with the K-1, but 2s sounds like a stretch.

Then again the sensor is a lot bigger, so you might not need to go as slow

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

With 14 mm (samyang) I could do 1,5 sec and repeat it couple time with K-1 but 2 seconds was too much. Sensor is quite a bit bigger. Also their lens stabilation can be used together with lens. But they need tgat too. Because high ISO is so much lower than K-1. But I don’t think that there was cheating. Good technique helps too.
05-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was able to get 2 seconds hand held with the olympus at 100mm focal length. As far as what i had with the k1, ill need to go back and see what was the shutter speed i had with that one when i was comparing the stabilization between the two.

05-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
K-1 stabilization vs Olympus e-m1 mark 1 stabilization: is Oly really that good?
With the pixel shift hand help of the Pentax K1 II, you should be able to shoot 4 x 1 sec. 36Mp frames, and crush the Oly.
05-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Don't forget the iso invariant capabilities of the k-1 You can under expose an image 5 or 6 stops and still lift a very good image out of it. Combined with SR than can give you some impressive results in low light conditions.
05-07-2018, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's probably much, much more related to technique, lens, camera weight, body of the user, how the person was braced, distance to subject, etc.

2 seconds without ANY help might be possible, but it would require

1-many trials )i.e. it's not an average image, to be sure)
2-luck
3-a wide focal length
4-a user with excellent technique, controlled breathing
5-maybe something against which to lean

The person might have cheated or not, however if that person claims that Oly delivers 2 seconds handheld exposures consistently, regardless of the conditions, then that person is lying. The amount of movement involved in holding still for two seconds prevents any company from making that claim.

Technique plays a huge part in it. How you breathe, how you hold the camera, etc. its hard to believe that the Oly delivers a consistent 2 seconds but it does. Might not be the sharpest at the telephoto end of the spectrum, but it is passable if one needed to use a long exposure. Again ive had consistent results, not propped up against anything using the olympus omd em1ii and the oly 12-100 f4 pro lens. Ill see if i can find the image but if not ill take another, it was at 100mm with a 2 second exposure.
05-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

em1ii is really good, and it should be too. But K-1 is not slouch either, if you think about sensor size. I have oly E5Mark II and it is good too, but not as good as K-1 and ISO falls in peaces after 800 just like my K-7 did. So long exposure is needed.
05-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding is that oly has figured out how to use in lens shake reduction combined with in body shake reduction to allow for really long exposures hand held -- like a second or two. In my experience about a half second is your max with a Pentax camera's in body shake reduction. Others have mentioned different factors that can improve your results, but I do think Olympus is better in this respect.
05-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My understanding is that oly has figured out how to use in lens shake reduction combined with in body shake reduction to allow for really long exposures hand held -- like a second or two. In my experience about a half second is your max with a Pentax camera's in body shake reduction. Others have mentioned different factors that can improve your results, but I do think Olympus is better in this respect.

That is true, they have, and it works really really well. The pentax stabalization though i feel is a little better as far as ibis is concerned though.