Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2018, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H Pixel Shift Review - Terrible K1 PS Image used.

B&H Photo produced a Pixel Shift comparison using Pentax, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic bodies. The review was overall pretty good in terms of the actual write-up. However, the example pixel shifted image that they used from the K1 is absolutely terrible in comparison to the others. It appears that there is some blur in it.

05-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
B&H Photo produced a Pixel Shift comparison using Pentax, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic bodies. The review was overall pretty good in terms of the actual write-up. However, the example pixel shifted image that they used from the K1 is absolutely terrible in comparison to the others. It appears that there is some blur in it.
Not sure about this, could be optics. One thing I can say is this :
"Figure 12. Detail comparison at output size from each camera" looks wrong.
For example, K-1 outputs 7360 x 4912 whereas A7R III outputs 7952 x 5304 .
That means the full Sony image should be about 8% larger in each dimension vs Pentax. That is the difference in sensor resolution.
I could tell with the naked eye that the Sony image looked too large relative to the Pentax.

So, I downloaded the figure 12 image and did crops.
A crop of the K-1 image done on my PC reveals it is about 224x188 .
Whereas the Sony image is 295x247.

The Sony image should be 8% larger in each dimension. But it is actually about 31% larger.
This probably comes down to different focal lengths or lenses being used.
The K-1 image was shot with a 15-30 zoom, and A7R III with 16-35 zoom. B&H should have been able to match the focal length between those two cameras, but they didn't.
The Sony was zoomed in much closer than the Pentax. Of course it will have more detail, in addition to having a higher resolution sensor.

I just posted this comment at B&H . Also find it a bit strange that they would just now come up with a K-1 comparison, when the K-1 came out two years ago. The A7R III came out about 6 months ago.
K-1 II was already out by the time B&H posted their review one month ago.

The other odd thing is that the A7R III is at a very different price point than the other 3 cameras. The two micro 4/3 cameras and original K-1 are all $1700, whereas the A7R III is $3200, nearly twice the price . They really in different price categories. The A7 III at $2000 should have been in the review.

Last edited by madbrain; 05-13-2018 at 05:57 PM.
05-13-2018, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that Sony takes influential reviewers on Press Junkets, do you suppose there is some intentional dissimulation here?

Last edited by monochrome; 05-13-2018 at 08:07 PM.
05-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Given that Sony takes influential reviewers on Press Nunkets, do you suppose there is some intentional dissimulation here?
I'm not making any suppositions, just observing that this aspect of the test is flawed.

05-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The A7 III at $2000 should have been in the review.
Pixel shifted images with that camera are as rare as HENS TEETH!

Actually, even rarer seeing its a feature not included on that body.
05-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Pixel shifted images with that camera are as rare as HENS TEETH!

Actually, even rarer seeing its a feature not included on that body.
And apparently, there is a shooting delay between each of the 4 frames in the A7R III PixelShift mode.

Looks like it was 1s before, and now a revolutionary 1s !
Sony reduces Pixel Shift interval to 0.5 seconds in a7R lll: Digital Photography Review

Of course, K-1 / K-1 II have no such delay, even for tripod mode. And can do the processing in-camera also.
05-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Of course, K-1 / K-1 II have no such delay, even for tripod mode. And can do the processing in-camera also.
Yes, its $$$ony's first go at it...i'm sure their engineers will develop in camera processing,$$$ooner or later.

The big disadvantage of $$$onys way is that the images are not labelled PS,so you have to find which ones go with which.Thats easy if its different scenes but if you take numerous shots of the same stuff,then good luck!

05-13-2018, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I do not understand why testers do not use the excellent Sigma Art 35/1.4 which is available in all brands for FF cameras?
Besides, they do not say which software they use and results can be the opposite according to this particularity...
05-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

ha ha

I'm sure DPR would like to use a high quality prime to test the Pentax FF, but they are not released yet.

I could imagine what different forums would say about testing a camera using a 3rd party lens!
05-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice try. The forums would say what they say about Imaging Resource testing with a Sigma 70mm.
05-14-2018, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I could imagine what different forums would say about testing a camera using a 3rd party lens!
Nothing except that this way would prevent another bias... Am I wrong?

PS: most of my lenses are Leica-R lenses and I am very happy with Pentax K-1 vs Canon and Nikon Gear...
05-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Nothing except that this way would prevent another bias... Am I wrong?
No, not wrong,probably right but the testers would be ostracised for using a 3rd party.As it was they used different lenses to test 1&2 and thats caused lots of conjecture.
05-14-2018, 02:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

No, not wrong,probably right but the testers would be ostracised for using a 3rd party. As it was they used different lenses to test 1&2 and thats caused lots of conjecture.
testers or brands?
05-14-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Not sure about this, could be optics. One thing I can say is this :
"Figure 12. Detail comparison at output size from each camera" looks wrong.
For example, K-1 outputs 7360 x 4912 whereas A7R III outputs 7952 x 5304 .
That means the full Sony image should be about 8% larger in each dimension vs Pentax. That is the difference in sensor resolution.
I could tell with the naked eye that the Sony image looked too large relative to the Pentax.

So, I downloaded the figure 12 image and did crops.
A crop of the K-1 image done on my PC reveals it is about 224x188 .
Whereas the Sony image is 295x247.

The Sony image should be 8% larger in each dimension. But it is actually about 31% larger.
This probably comes down to different focal lengths or lenses being used.
The K-1 image was shot with a 15-30 zoom, and A7R III with 16-35 zoom. B&H should have been able to match the focal length between those two cameras, but they didn't.
The Sony was zoomed in much closer than the Pentax. Of course it will have more detail, in addition to having a higher resolution sensor.

I just posted this comment at B&H . Also find it a bit strange that they would just now come up with a K-1 comparison, when the K-1 came out two years ago. The A7R III came out about 6 months ago.
K-1 II was already out by the time B&H posted their review one month ago.

The other odd thing is that the A7R III is at a very different price point than the other 3 cameras. The two micro 4/3 cameras and original K-1 are all $1700, whereas the A7R III is $3200, nearly twice the price . They really in different price categories. The A7 III at $2000 should have been in the review.
I posted ...

Julien P. Has made an important point. Really can not compare images for 'resolution' if they were taken at different focal lengths let alone different glass. Just what are we comparing? Some basic flaws here in methodology.
05-14-2018, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone that would criticize DPR for using a single lens to compare across brands doesn't understand proper scientific testing methods. The idea is to do everything you can to reduce variables across the things being compared.
The Sigma 35 Art would be a great choice for this. It's well regarded as a high quality lens, and it's available for most mounts/brands.