Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 06:13 AM - 15 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes, you just fall back on the basics.........

I see folks come back again and again, year after year, that Pentax does not do weddings, no sports, no kids.
Only the latest and greatest will do.

To me, familiarity of ones' gear, the subject matter is key.
I was at a Triathlon event and since I was with family and had the whole family's event stuff to handle, my longest lens was an "old screw drive FA50/1.4 without the bestest AF and AF motor."
What I lacked in wonderous gear, I had in an appreciation of the sport and the basics of what I needed to get the shot.......

Yes, new gear is sexy, but having the basics to get shots is also sexy...

Before we question that we are too good for the gear, which is all too often the theme on forums, do think if we really pushed ourselves in using it.

Last edited by pinholecam; 05-15-2018 at 04:36 PM.
05-14-2018, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great post! Many of us seem to feel if we have the latest/greatest camera or lens, it will make our photographs amazing. What your post pointed out, it's simply the person behind the camera that actually makes the magic!

Thanks for a great thread, and btw, your photos were outstanding!
05-14-2018, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fast fifty and some skill will get you a long way.
These shots prove it.
05-14-2018, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

A lot of folks forget 'Action' Photography was around long before AF. Nicely done.

05-14-2018, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Before we question that we are too good for the gear, which is all too often the theme on forums, do think if we really pushed ourselves in using it.
This is why Pentax is a viable option for any type of photography. It may require more knowledge of photography and your gear and it's limitations. All systems have their limitations. I have used only Pentax except for a Yashica range finder and a Minola film slr. I loved my Spototmatic 2 and K1000 better than any film camera. I even have used the K-01and K100D for paid wedding photography. Know the basics and your gear and you can get the sot.
05-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Great post! Many of us seem to feel if we have the latest/greatest camera or lens, it will make our photographs amazing. What your post pointed out, it's simply the person behind the camera that actually makes the magic!

Thanks for a great thread, and btw, your photos were outstanding!
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A fast fifty and some skill will get you a long way.
These shots prove it.
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
A lot of folks forget 'Action' Photography was around long before AF. Nicely done.

Thanks everyone.

Not magazine stuff, but I think at least it got the job done and better than not shooting and coming to a forums to complain.

---------- Post added 05-15-2018 at 07:19 AM ----------

Some of the basics I fell back on.
I know that as DOF increases, so does the "zone" where the subject will be in focus. Especially so when they are moving towards me.
So f2.8-f4 would certainly increase my odds.

The old school method of pre-focus also works despite it being ... "old"...
The above shots, I just used pre-focus.
Focused on some feature on the ground and snapped as the subject fell within the zone of focus/DOF.

(will mention AF later).
05-14-2018, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I almost lost the point of the OP when I got to looking at the photos...great expressions, really shows what sport is all about (which I could look as good as young Mr 460; my expression when running is probably enough to scare a lens into going out of focus...). But that's what it's all about, not comparing gear, but getting photos with impact. You wanna see results at the end of the day. Great job.

05-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Screw mount FA lens? Something doesn’t add up. Did you mean screw drive, or are we talking about some other lens?
05-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Screw mount FA lens? Something doesn’t add up. Did you mean screw drive, or are we talking about some other lens?
I meant screw drive
Though I did shoot with both AF and manual focus (ie. pre focus).

---------- Post added 05-16-2018 at 07:50 AM ----------

I also used AF-C for a lot of the shots.
There are certainly limitations, but like I said, my role as a shooter (for my own photos) is to "make it happen" with whatever I have on hand.
So some points I found useful.

1. K1 AF-C is maybe better off at about f4, it does not predict ahead as fast, so that DOF helps. (there is some play in this of course since DOF will vary with focal length and focus distance, but personal experience so far is f4-f5.6 is better with a 300mm lens).
2. Starting the focus tracking a bit further away helps.
3. The K1 is 36mp, so I have no qualms about cropping for composition since I only have a 50mm with me.
4. Shutter speed is very important to get a overall sharp shot, in running and cycling, there can be minor vibrations that are faster than the travel speed of the subject and this can cause a blur on the subject that is mistaken for misfocus. I'd say probably around 1/500 if not more.