Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 123 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The issue is that DP Review is looking for high end technical specs -- high frame rates, 4K video, top end auto focus. That's exactly what the K-1 II doesn't offer. Slightly over 4 fps, no 4K video, middling auto focus are what is found in the K-1 II package.

And yet, Pentax still makes cameras for photographers and if still photography is your focus, you could do a lot worse than end up with a K-1 or K-1 II.

05-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The issue is that DP Review is looking for high end technical specs -- high frame rates, 4K video, top end auto focus. That's exactly what the K-1 II doesn't offer. Slightly over 4 fps, no 4K video, middling auto focus are what is found in the K-1 II package.

And yet, Pentax still makes cameras for photographers and if still photography is your focus, you could do a lot worse than end up with a K-1 or K-1 II.
Perhaps there should be scores assigned for different uses: Landscape, Street/Candid, Portrait, Event, Sport.
05-17-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisP Quote
Perhaps there should be scores assigned for different uses: Landscape, Street/Candid, Portrait, Event, Sport.
Are freezer tests 'Event' or 'Sport' ?
'Street/Candid' could include dead animal still life.
05-17-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a reminder: dpr's K-1 II messed up review message now expanded by another confession - PentaxForums.com

05-17-2018, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What a difference between Richard Butler's handling of this issue and that of a certain gentleman who's also a member here
Why are you afraid of mentioning his name? He should learn the hard way.

As I mentioned in another thread,it is a shame that such a person is an editor for a large photography gear forum!!!

Last edited by emsee; 05-17-2018 at 06:04 PM.
05-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
LOL. A pretty good assessment. My take is something like:

Sony: Hail the new king!
Nikon: Hail the old king!
Panasonic: Hail video!
Canon: Fan, but very annoyed and disappointed. Give us a Sony with a Canon badge and all is forgiven.
Olympus: Neutral (indifferent)
Fuji: Disliked (too much like Sony, too much not like Sony)
Leica: Jealous (secretly yearn for a closet full of Leica gear, but they won't give us free swag so we mock 'em)
Hassiblad: Open mockery (partially deserved, but also see Leica)
Pentax: Whipping boy to make everyone else look good (What?? It's gotta be someone)
The formal term for Whipping Boy is ‘Other”. That group which binds all favored groups together, and to the organization, as Not The Other, the active verb for which is ‘Othering’. DPR reviews are active Othering, and likely intentionally so.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-18-2018 at 04:41 AM.
05-17-2018, 06:33 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote

As I mentioned in another thread,it is a shame that such a person is an editor for a large photography gear forum!!!
He didn't join this forum to contribute in any way, but to make one post defending his K-1 review on DPR after he banned Biz-engineer.

He was allowed the last say in a thread that got closed, which I think he'd have to be pleased with, because the probing questions over his processes and conduct were going to come thick and fast.

He hasn't been seen before or since, never paid to become a supporter, whatever.

Last edited by clackers; 05-17-2018 at 08:07 PM.
05-17-2018, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
He didn't join this forum to contribute in any way, but to make one post defending his K-1 review on DPR after he banned Biz-engineer.

He was allowed the last say in a thread that got closed, which I think was very generous. He hasn't been seen before or after, never paid to become a supporter, whatever.
We should have a Badge Icon for that.
05-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #54
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll happily mention his name - we're talking about Rishi Sanyal.

For the record:

I'm all for discussion and critique on reviews and test methods at DPR or any other site. What I don't want is to put @Adam - the owner/operator of our site - at odds with owners and senior staff of other websites. That's not fair to him, and it's bad for business. When our discussions and critique escalate into personal jibes and name-calling, that's exactly what happens.

As @clackers indicates, Rishi has only posted here once back in 2016, but he logged in during 2017 too. His membership remains active, and the forum rules that protect our members from rudeness, insults and personal attacks are for the benefit of all members, whether-or-not they log in and/or post regularly.
05-18-2018, 01:07 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote

Afraid?
I might hold back a bit, but if you think I'm afraid... then you didn't really watch this forum, or the other
05-18-2018, 02:04 AM - 3 Likes   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, Mike, it does beg the question ... what's more important, the camaraderie between website owners or the actual members of their websites, many of whom pay to keep them operating?

That's a rhetorical question, you're a famously reasonable person, and there's no way you should actually answer that.

I'll say nothing more on the issue myself, except that Rishi joining for free, getting his say, and acquiring immunity from criticism on the grounds that he's now not just a public figure but a fellow member, was a very, very smart move.

Last edited by clackers; 05-18-2018 at 02:35 AM.
05-18-2018, 03:12 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, Mike, it does beg the question ... what's more important, the camaraderie between website owners or the actual members of their websites, many of whom pay to keep them operating?

That's a rhetorical question, you're a famously reasonable person, and there's no way you should actually answer that.

Thank you But I'll take a stab anyway. In case there should ever be the slightest doubt from anyone, the most important thing for me is cameraderie amongst our own PF members, and fostering an environment where we can have friendly, sometimes robust, but always respectful discussion - including well-intentioned critique and an acceptance that disagreement is OK, if handled respectfully.

I'll say nothing more on the issue myself, except that Rishi joining for free, getting his say, and acquiring immunity from criticism on the grounds that he's now not just a public figure but a fellow member, was a very, very smart move.

Yeah, I absolutely get why he posted. But the thing is, he's not immune from criticism at all. I'm more than happy for his approach, the quality of his tests and results, his brand bias, even his individual actions with other forum members, to be discussed and critiqued and disagreed with (firmly, if need be) - and most of the time here, that's exactly what happens. Just occasionally, though, someone crosses the line into mockery, name-calling and jibes. That's the only bit I ever take issue with.

I've often opined that it's not always what we say, but how we say it that's important

Now... I'm off for a long lunch involving many foods and many liquids. I may be some time
05-18-2018, 04:19 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Let's say DPR now reshoots and posts the results taken with decent lens. How is that going to change the fact the filtering happens with RAW file? It will not.
05-18-2018, 04:44 AM - 4 Likes   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Let's say DPR now reshoots and posts the results taken with decent lens. How is that going to change the fact the filtering happens with RAW file? It will not.
If done correctly it should show the benefit of noise reduction far surpasses any marginal loss of edge detail.
05-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #60
Veteran Member

... I'll say nothing more on the issue myself, except that Rishi joining for free, getting his say, and acquiring immunity from criticism on the grounds that he's now not just a public figure but a fellow member, was a very, very smart move.
My take-away from the recent messages is that is expected of members to be respectful whether the object of Intensely Respectful Comments is a member or not... yeah?