Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-1 AF points

I shoot a lot in portrait (rather than landscape).
according to the e-book, the elongated AF points at the far left and right of the viewfinder are vertical linear sensors and detect the sharpest horizontal points only.
In portrait mode, does it stand to reason that these points would detect the sharpest Vertical point? ...
and are these AF points as accurate as the cross-hatch type?

Last edited by neal_grillot; 05-14-2018 at 04:35 PM.
05-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
according to the e-book. The elongated AF points at the far left and right of the viewfinder are vertical linear sensors and detect the sharpest horizontal points only.
In portrait mode, does it stand to reason that these points would detect the sharpest Vertical point? ...
I don't believe they only detect the sharpest horizontal or vertical points. Only that the AF point its self is not a cross type point. Its less sensitive and less accurate than the other cross type AF points.
05-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I should add this is in reference to a K-1 Mark II
05-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I should add this is in reference to a K-1 Mark II
There is no different between a linear af point or cross type af point in the K-1 vs any other model camera.

This article explains the difference pretty well Canon DLC: Article: Canon Autofocus Series: What Is Cross-type AF?

05-14-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
according to the e-book. The elongated AF points at the far left and right of the viewfinder are vertical linear sensors and detect the sharpest horizontal points only.
Yes, and maybe.

Basically, a + sensor is good at obtaining focus on any linear textured object while a - sensor can only focus well on vertical or horizontal lined objects, depending on the orientation of the object and sensor. It goes without saying that, for irregular textured objects, this discussion hardly matters. The - sensor would be as good as the + sensor.

This is why, in the old days, when Pentax cameras like the SFX and SFXn only had one AF focus point, and the photographer tried to focus on a linear texture like a corrugated iron roof surface, or a weatherboard wall, then, in some cases, the camera more easily obtained focus if you turned the camera to vertical, obtained focus and then recomposed your image.

So, yes, if you're shooting objects / scenes with strong linear patterns, then, yes, altering the orientation of the camera will allow those - points to obtain focus more easily. In practice though, we're now spoilt for choice with modern cameras having multiple focus points and the need for such acrobatics has gone away!

Those - points are no less accurate than the + points - it's just that the + points are better at finding focus on a wider range of surfaces.
05-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok. So in portrait orientation, would you use the (-) or the furtherest upper (+) to best focus on the eye.. also speed matters as the subject could be moving

Last edited by neal_grillot; 05-14-2018 at 05:05 PM.
05-14-2018, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok. So in portrait orientation, would you use the (-) or the furtherest upper (+) to best focus on the eye.. also speed matters as the subject could be moving
I can't find information specific to the K-1II, but for the K-1, the information I can find seems to suggest that the three central AF points may provide greatest accuracy when used with specific lenses.
See Features5 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

Theoretically at least, any of the 33 AF points would be equally good at focussing on eyes. I would suggest that you experiment with the different AF modes and find one that suits your subject matter. What I'm saying is that, other than the three central points, any of the other 30 would be equally good, so, as to the choice between the two you suggest, I can't offer a suggestion as to which would be "better". Depending on the conditions you're shooting under, you may wish to make choices based upon that. Moving subject matter and all.

Which of these settings do you use?

Attached Images

05-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I can't find information specific to the K-1II, but for the K-1, the information I can find seems to suggest that the three central AF points may provide greatest accuracy when used with specific lenses.
See Features5 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

Theoretically at least, any of the 33 AF points would be equally good at focussing on eyes. I would suggest that you experiment with the different AF modes and find one that suits your subject matter. What I'm saying is that, other than the three central points, any of the other 30 would be equally good, so, as to the choice between the two you suggest, I can't offer a suggestion as to which would be "better". Depending on the conditions you're shooting under, you may wish to make choices based upon that. Moving subject matter and all.

Which of these settings do you use?
Spot: focus and recompose. Select. Still experimenting with the area selections under Continuous.
05-14-2018, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

according to the e-book, the elongated AF points at the far left and right of the viewfinder are vertical linear sensors and detect the sharpest horizontal points only.
Yes, if you rotate the camera then the line sensor will be sensitive to lines at the new orientation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think linear means AF compares X against its right-left neighbors only, where as cross-type compares against top-bottom-left-right neighbors. Visualizing it as grid makes it easy to understand.
05-14-2018, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
I think linear means AF compares X against its right-left neighbors only, where as cross-type compares against top-bottom-left-right neighbors. Visualizing it as grid makes it easy to understand.
I don't think they ever compare against neighbours to achieve focus, Pentaxfall.

They compare one end of the 'focus point' pixels to the other.

Think of split focus or a rangefinder.
05-15-2018, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Yes, they are definitely vertical sensors. Vertical sensors can only detect a contrast edge if there is a vertical change to contrast, e.g. horizontal black and white stripes.
It would have issues with vertical stripes.

In theory "accuracy" of finding the correct focus plane should be the same. But that is hindered by such a sensor having only half the chance of finding the right and a good contrast edge to base measurments on.

Personal opinion: avoid normally, unless really needed.

Comment: Canon DualPixel AF and Sony on sensor detect AF does only have horizontal line sensors, not a single cross type.
05-15-2018, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

The text is only in German, but I think the following slides might help understand:

and