Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2018, 02:52 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pity the tech couldn't solder in a couple of 8GB RAM modules while they had the main board out, to quadruple the buffer or something.
I thought the issue probably was that whatever buffer the K1 has is the max that the current PRIME engine can handle. I read that somewhere, but I have no idea if it is true or not (otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense that the K-1 II wouldn't increase buffer size -- memory is pretty cheap these days).

05-15-2018, 03:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I don't know about others, but I've made that supposition.
The Milbeaut M8-m processor can address up to 1.5GB RAM (in a 3 channel configuration, each module being up to 512MB). Got that from the processor's datasheet.
I believe there are 2 memory modules on the K-1 and K-1 II's mainboards, at a cursory glance over the publicly available images. That would make 1GB of RAM.
05-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm more interested in the lack of weather seals shown... are there no gaskets or rings around the case?
First thing I noticed, a little concerning.

Still very undecided as to get this upgrade, the company doing it in the UK I trust, been in their service center as a customer that they did work for on a large scale repairing a product we sold, when out of warranty, always great service, and always left our customers happy.

But I just don’t know as I am happy with the K1 as it is and £450 is a lot for some minor changes, when it could go towards a new lens...

Oh the decisions....
05-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

... and pray that the tecchie did not leave any dry solder joints or shorts after attacking the new main board with a soldering iron completely unsuitable for this sort of work.

05-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm more interested in the lack of weather seals shown... are there no gaskets or rings around the case?
Well... there are no rubber gasket around the lid of a finely crafted yixing tea pot but that thing can be watertight.... taking this knowledge and applying it to the concern at hand, I say the body panels fit tightly enough no gasket is necessary.

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 05:41 PM ----------

This is nice. I have been wondering exactly what mai-him Cyrix or whatever agency in America is responsible for doing this could cause. I particularly want them away from the mirror box. I see my mirror box can remain sealed and happy. I wonder if taping the body cap in place...

I also wondered what this sticker, "II", would look like. I figured it would look a little ..hand-crafted stuck on next to the "SR" but the plan they have looks very nice.

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 05:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ukspeedtraps Quote
... and £450 is a lot for some minor changes, when it could go towards a new lens...

Oh the decisions....
Happily.. or not, I am interested in neither new lenses currently available nor new lenses likely on the way : heifer sized coffee cans :^p I am lensed up whether I like it or not :^(

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
... and pray that the tecchie ...
Pretty sure the first image shows us the exorcism wand at work...
Smoke being any feelings of inadequacy caused by camera gear reviews.
Keep the baby happy and healthy.
05-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #21

I'd never let anyone to open my K1 and put their fingers in and let the dust get in.

If I ever am interested in the K1-II, I'd buy the K1-II, but upgrading my K1... never ever!
05-16-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #22
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
I'd never let anyone to open my K1 and put their fingers in and let the dust get in.

If I ever am interested in the K1-II, I'd buy the K1-II, but upgrading my K1... never ever!
Are you suggesting that your K-1 was initially assembled in a 10,000 class clean room environment which is used for semi-conductor wafer and IC manufacturing, by technicians who wear full body bunny suits, face masks, protective glasses, hair nets and gloves? In the best case scenario, your camera was assembled in a common electronic shop environment by techies hopefully wearing gloves and not picking their noses in the process of assembly. Ignorance is a bliss! :-))

Last edited by tax; 05-16-2018 at 12:08 PM.
05-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
Are you suggesting that your K-1 was initially assembled in a 10,000 class clean room environment which is used for semi-conductor wafer and IC manufacturing, by technicians who wear full body bunny suits, face masks, protective glasses, hair nets and gloves? In the best case scenario, your camera was assembled in a common electronic shop environment by techies hopefully wearing gloves and not picking their noses in the process of assembly. Ignorance is a bliss! :-))
I don't mean that. I mean that if I take my K1 for upgrade, I very possibly will get some scratch or mark on the body and even more probable to get dust in the body / pentaprism-viewfinder (which I don't have at the moment), given the fact that for sure they don't do the upgrade (dismounting everything) in a dedicated factory with at least the same clean control environment like the places where they mount the new bodies.

Naivety is inherent in some! :-))

Last edited by alvaro_garcia; 05-16-2018 at 01:45 PM.
05-16-2018, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #24
tax

I don't mean that. I mean that if I take my K1 for upgrade, I very possibly will get some scratch or mark on the body and even more probable to get dust in the body / pentaprism-viewfinder (which I don't have at the moment), given the fact that for sure they don't do the upgrade (dismounting everything) in a dedicated factory with at least the same clean control environment like the places where they mount the new bodies.

Naivety is inherent in some! :-))
If you carefully observed posted earlier pictures of K-1 to K-1 II motherboard replacement upgrade, you should have noticed that only bottom and rear covers of the camera were removed.
No viewfinder, mirror box or pentaprism were affected by this partial disassembly.
05-17-2018, 02:25 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
If you carefully observed posted earlier pictures of K-1 to K-1 II motherboard replacement upgrade, you should have noticed that only bottom and rear covers of the camera were removed.
No viewfinder, mirror box or pentaprism were affected by this partial disassembly.
Once you open the body, the dust gets in from all open "windows", like when you just swap lenses on your camera.
05-17-2018, 02:42 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once you open the body, the dust gets in from all open "windows", like when you just swap lenses on your camera.
Er, There is no way dust can get to the mirror box area when it is not even exposed.
05-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Er, There is no way dust can get to the mirror box area when it is not even exposed.
It's dust. It goes everywhere. I don't open the plug covering the remote release socket and I don't open the plug covering the USB socket and I don't swap SD cards and I wouldn't raise the flash but the camera doesn't have one so I don't not do that either.