Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 II dust removal

My K-1 II doesn't seem to produce any kind of perceptible sensor motion when starting up or shutting down, even though the dust removal settings are left at the default (on). If anything is happening at all, it's not anywhere near the same as on my K-30 and K200D where the dust removal is a fairly strong shake.
Is my K-1 II defective, or is it really imperceptible ?

05-16-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The latter. You should be able to hear a very faint squeak if you listen closely, but that's it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2018, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
it's not anywhere near the same as on my K-30 and K200D
Up until the K-7, Pentax bodies used the a system ('Dust Removal I') which simply used the camera's sensor shake reduction system to shake dust off the sensor. The 'DR I' system features in the K-20D, K-200D, K-x, K-30 etc, and some newer bodies. It was a very noticeable vibration in my K-200D and K-x.

Starting with the K-7, some Pentax bodies (645D, K-5, K-3, 645Z, K-1, K-P) adopted the Dust Removal II system, which 'applies ultra-sonic vibrations to the optical glass panel [low-pass filter] in front of the image sensor' to shake off dust. DRII dust reduction produces no camera vibration and is practically in-audible.
05-16-2018, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are over 40, you likely won't hear it unless you put it right against your ear

05-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Up until the K-7, Pentax bodies used the a system ('Dust Removal I') which simply used the camera's sensor shake reduction system to shake dust off the sensor. The 'DR I' system features in the K-20D, K-200D, K-x, K-30 etc, and some newer bodies. It was a very noticeable vibration in my K-200D and K-x.

Starting with the K-7, some Pentax bodies (645D, K-5, K-3, 645Z, K-1, K-P) adopted the Dust Removal II system, which 'applies ultra-sonic vibrations to the optical glass panel [low-pass filter] in front of the image sensor' to shake off dust. DRII dust reduction produces no camera vibration and is practically in-audible.
Thank you !

---------- Post added 05-16-18 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
If you are over 40, you likely won't hear it unless you put it right against your ear
Guess I'm busted !
05-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
It helps too, to bear down with one's teeth on the camera body to allow transmission of the sound through the skull.

Steve
05-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It helps too, to bear down with one's teeth on the camera body to allow transmission of the sound through the skull.

Steve
Quit biting your camera Steve!
05-16-2018, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Quit biting your camera Steve!
But it tastes soooooo good

Steve