Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Your quotes show that they planned the upgrade - is that your point??
Yes. They planned to include the accelerator in the "K-1" but since it couldn't be ready in time, they decided on a K-1 II version of the "K-1".

05-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #17
Forum Member

I for one would like to be able to lower the ISO instead of raising it! ISO50 would really be something!
05-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #18

Anyhow the following FF Pentax camera will be launched, I think I can figure out what kind of review will have at DPR. Don't you?
05-17-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #19

I hope they keep the function dial on future full frame models, and also all the user settings. I like the mechanical feel of the K-1. It feels to me at least, more like a 35mm camera than a digital camera, because of the dials. The previous cameras I have owned didn't feel that way. The local surgeon in town also takes train pictures. He uses a Canon D5 mark. I feel its not as versatile or user friendly as the K-1, so I hope Pentax keeps all the dials on their future full frame cameras.

05-17-2018, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Whatever the next planned FF is (K1 Mk-IIs, K1-3 etc.), some of the things they definitely need to add/update is:

1: A bigger buffer (~40+)
2: More AF points (~60+)
3: USB 3.1
4: Both card slots UHS-II compatible
05-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, if Pentax wants to keep high IQ crown against other brands, then it could release ISO 25-800 fullframe. Provided that Ricoh is still not willing to invest in top class AF module and other bling-bling specs.
05-18-2018, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Well, if Pentax wants to keep high IQ crown against other brands, then it could release ISO 25-800 fullframe. Provided that Ricoh is still not willing to invest in top class AF module and other bling-bling specs.
ISO 25-800 ? That would completely useless. What's the point of having a big FF sensor if you are still forced to use a tripod because ISO maxes out so low ? Even my smartphone shoots ISO 800. Why would anyone limit an FF camera to ISO 800 ? Just to make is as limited as a film camera?

05-18-2018, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It won't happen.

Next generation full frame from Pentax will have a new sensor, but it will also have other improvements -- better video, frame rates, and buffer as well as using USB 3 and faster SD cards and those can't be done just by swapping out the sensor and a little circuitry.
05-18-2018, 03:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
If we talking about USB, best solution would be USB-C with thunderbolt and fast charging.
05-18-2018, 04:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
ISO 25-800 ? That would completely useless. What's the point of having a big FF sensor if you are still forced to use a tripod because ISO maxes out so low ? Even my smartphone shoots ISO 800. Why would anyone limit an FF camera to ISO 800 ? Just to make is as limited as a film camera?
Yaah, that is just the point. Low ISO tripod camera. If it AF system continues to be speed-lemon what is the point shooting Pentax anyway for a random photographer? DR can be be maximized this way. ISO6 would be even better. MK3 should also have built-in ND-filters as world's first in a MILC (mk3 should not be DSLR).

Last edited by MJKoski; 05-18-2018 at 04:13 AM.
05-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #26

Pentax K-1 III speculation DPR pros:

- Weather sealing.
- Rugged construction.
- Interesting stacking pixel shift modes.
- Sufficient dynamic range.

Pentax K-1 III speculation DPR cons:

- Heavy, bulky and threatening compared to FF mirror-less options.
- Unreliable AF system.
- Non-revolutionary OVF.
- Few lenses available, usually at high price.
- Not friendly menus as compared to other brands.
- Not addressed to professional photographers.
- Weird JPG colors.
- Unremarkable company future plans as compared to other brands.

Do you think they will give me a job there?
05-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Where will the sensor come from? You don't improve quality by just downgrading a sensor designed to provide 100 ISO. I'm also guessing they would reduce their potential market to just you and a few friends (*), and by your own words you've already demonstrated that they can't count on you.

(*) Towards the end of the age of film, I had trouble getting fresh Kodachrome 25; my local camera store would purchase a "brick" of fresh film, and it would be at it's expiration date when they sold the last of it - the demand just wasn't there anymore.

Last edited by reh321; 05-18-2018 at 06:01 AM.
05-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Sensor is manufactured according to the specs given by the one who orders it of course. Simple as that. Pentax cannot be successful jack-of-all-trades, why not focus on something which only Nikon dipped their toe in (D810 & ISO64), and win the game? Shooting without a tripod shows lack of discipline anyways and is doomed to fail should the resolution keep on rising.
05-18-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To limit the iso to a max of 800 for a FF DSLR is a giant step back 13+ years, no matter how good the IQ is, a very small handfull of people (if anybody) would buy it. If you want a high IQ dslr with a very limited ISO range, might as well get a Medium Format DSLR with a digital back like the Leaf Credo 80.
05-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
To limit the iso to a max of 800 for a FF DSLR is a giant step back 13+ years, no matter how good the IQ is, a very small handfull of people (if anybody) would buy it. If you want a high IQ dslr with a very limited ISO range, might as well get a Medium Format DSLR with a digital back like the Leaf Credo 80.
Speak for yourself. I'd buy it.