Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Whatever the next planned FF is (K1 Mk-IIs, K1-3 etc.), some of the things they definitely need to add/update is:

1: A bigger buffer (~40+)
2: More AF points (~60+)
3: USB 3.1
4: Both card slots UHS-II compatible
  1. With a faster USB interface, the buffer would be read out faster to the memory card. UHS-I would be an 300% increase.
  2. Moving from 33 to 45 AF points with the same density would increase the coverage of the frame and keep up to the EOS 6D Mark II
  3. Even just USB 3.0 with its 300Mbyte/s is more than fast enough to deliver the data to two UHS-I (104Mbyte/s) ports simultaneously
  4. Full UHS-I support (SDR104) with 104Mbyte/s would be already an increase of 300% and support 75% of current high speed memory cards writing speed (~90Mbyte/s)

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
If we talking about USB, best solution would be USB-C with thunderbolt and fast charging.
Thunderbolt is made for complex high bandwith devices like monitors, docking stations and notebooks. It needs 12 chips per plug, which means more failure possibilities, expensive internal electronics and expensive cables.
USB offers more advantages for cameras, like higher compatibility and cheaper cables.
Integrating battery charging into the camera would only increase price and weight and don't offer any advantages for longlife electronics.
The best (regarding universabilty, speed and price) solution would be an physical USB-C port with USB 3.0/3.1 electronic/protocol.

05-18-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Shooting without a tripod shows lack of discipline anyways and is doomed to fail should the resolution keep on rising.
Speak for yourself.
The objects I photograph don't "pose". If I took time to set up a tripod, it would be too late.
I used Kodachrome 25 only because I wanted the detail it provided; I get better detail today from a K-30 using the same lens.
05-18-2018, 11:15 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Inre: limiting ISO to 800;

Yeah, no, that's not happening. And to suggest that not using a tripod is to lack discipline, pfft lol what no.
05-18-2018, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It won't happen.

Next generation full frame from Pentax will have a new sensor, but it will also have other improvements -- better video, frame rates, and buffer as well as using USB 3 and faster SD cards and those can't be done just by swapping out the sensor and a little circuitry.
Yes. Maybe even whatever is current tech at the time.

If there is a K-3 successor I suspect it will signal the direction Pentax wants to go and a K-1 replacement would reflect that philosophy. New AF sensor / on-sensor PDAF / AF processor and algo’s. replacing SAFOX for competitive AF (and some licensed core code)? New Image Processor, replacing Socionext (and some licensed video code)? New data stream management? (Co-processors, bus, buffer(s), card protocol, WiFi / tethering, etc. - and some licensed card management code?)? Flash protocol and OBF / P-TTL Speedlights?

Open sourcing more protocols? Building an open platform image capture protocol with closed tech hardware?

To do all these sorts of things they’d need to essentially discard base code going back to the MZ-S and create new, which could explain the time gap before a replacement APSC flagship.

I’m looking for more ‘breaking the paradigm’, acting like an insurgent harrying the entrenched superior force.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-19-2018 at 07:17 AM.
05-18-2018, 11:31 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can have iso 25 and still not limit the camera to high iso of 800. That wouldn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, my guess is that Pentax is going to make do with whatever reasonably priced slightly newer generation sensor they can get. I would guess the 42 megapixel sensor in the A7r II, but I don't really know. But regardless, they aren't going to release K-1 III with no changes except for a new sensor.
05-18-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
K-70 and KP, because I'm guessing amongst their users many fewer proportionally value 'raw' and many more proportionally depend on JPEG.
"amongst their users"... Say what!
So, somehow the KP and K70 users are lesser than the K1 users elite?
The "valued RAW files" from KP are very close to the ones from the K1... AND the KP smokes the K1 in AF performance...
So there... to all you elitists.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-18-2018 at 04:07 PM.
05-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #37

I want it to be able to download pictures into my MAC using WIFI.

05-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
Anyhow the following FF Pentax camera will be launched, I think I can figure out what kind of review will have at DPR. Don't you?
Pretty sure if k-1 II had all the bells and whistles of other flagships it would have gotten a better review.

Image quality aside, there's still af performance, lack of modern glass, small buffer/slow write speed, video quality that is at this point like 4 years behind the competition.

Im pretty sure K-1 m3 would be a much larger upgrade, and by then the ff system would be mostly filled with dfa glass. And I'm sure if it catches up in video/af department it'll get favorable reviews (not that I care about what dpreview thinks of my camera though).
05-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
"amongst their users"... Say what!
So, somehow the KP and K70 users are lesser than the K1 users elite?
The "valued RAW files" from KP are very close to the ones from the K1... AND the KP smokes the K1 in AF performance...
So there... to all you elitists.
I am trying to make sense of what I have heard in recent months.

When the K-1ii first came out, respondents here nearly ignored the 'accelerator' - almost like they were totally unfamiliar with this hardware. As a likely KP purchaser, my eyes were drawn first the the 'accelerator', and then to the 'accelerator'. There were several interesting new features on the K-1ii, but I was flabbergasted by how the 'accelerator' was ignored. In some sense that was good - all the talk of the recent days could have clouded introduction of the K-1ii - but I couldn't understand how this piece of hardware could be ignored, especially if it did affect 'raw' files {we didn't know much about it until the CP+ interviews}. Combined with the continual drumbeat to upgrade the K-3 line, I reached the conclusion that the KP was little used by top-end users. (*) If I was wrong, I apologize.

(*) I'm not sure I understand the implications of "elite users" in this context. When I used digital Canon, I had a Rebel. Right now, I am using a K-30. My most expensive camera to date was my last film camera - $700 film camera kit by Canon. I am a reasonably good photographer, with over fifty years of experience, but in the film age, I used Kodachrome, and in the digital age that has carried across to my doing making minimal adjustments to SOOC JPEG files. I take more time, but my workflow is essentially like that of those covering the Olympics. I recognize that I'm not an artist .... I became serious about photography when I noticed that my world was changing on a daily basis, so I started "documenting today before tomorrow comes and everything changes". I know that there are those who put alot more into each photograph. I'm OK with that - my goal is not images hanging from the wall that people will get excited about; I find that the "8-bit" pallet is quite adequate for my purposes. So, I know that I am different from the typical top-end user, and I need to recognize that difference - I choose not to use that difference to "rank" users, and my attitude to me and my work is not affected if others choose to "rank" users. And at this point, I find myself running out of words ....
05-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sensor is manufactured according to the specs given by the one who orders it of course. Simple as that.
Ha ha...really? Then it should be a simple matter of phoning Sony and asking them to design and build one just for you and you can swap it out yourself.

In the real world, they make sensors that they think there will be demand for, then offer them for sale by the thousand. There is precisely zero hope of them dropping millions in design and development because Pentax asks them for 10 of them.
05-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
(*) I'm not sure I understand the implications of "elite users"
My attempt of trying to be funny might have failed...
80% of my shooting with the KP and K1 is JPEG. I do shoot RAW when there is a reason/need to do so.
05-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

It is really simple as that. It is not too long ago when world's first digital hires 8x10" camera was introduced. There are others than Sony who also provide production capacity and design aid.

It is matter of lots of money, sure, but customer is a customer.

And about shot discipline, Canon 5Ds(r) for example requires a LOT faster exposure times even with the help of their best IS technology. Good luck with 100MP handheld shooting in ~5 years or so timeframe. Not going to happen so get the tripods ready. Max usable ISO values with such sensors max out at about ISO800 anyway for first few years unless downsampled / pixel-binned.
05-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #43
Pentaxian

And about shot discipline, Canon 5Ds(r) for example requires a LOT faster exposure times even with the help of their best IS technology. Good luck with 100MP handheld shooting in ~5 years or so timeframe. Not going to happen so get the tripods ready. Max usable ISO values with such sensors max out at about ISO800 anyway for first few years unless downsampled / pixel-binned.
I'm kind of guessing the K-1mk3 won't have a 100MP sensor, so this is totally irrelevant to this thread.
A discussion about whether anyone will want a 100MP sensor is a topic for a different section.
05-20-2018, 02:29 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
An 24MP FF sensor with very low noise would be a better upgrade than just more pixels. Like a K-1 IIs. Could gain 0.8 ISO advantage.
Sony A7S vs Sony A7
Less noise and higher dynamic range are more useful than higher resolution. Take a look at the Sony α7S II.
05-20-2018, 03:17 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I have used that Sony and know what it does. But it does not remove the general issue - resolution still keeps rising (not brand related). I would take 10MP HDR sensor over 100MP for sure for some use cases but no one seems to focus on such device except cellphone manufacturers.