Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thanks. But that DNG has already been through some Adobe software, so it is already processed and kind of incomplete. All of the thousands of data points for the K-1 metering sensor, for example, have been totally zeroed out, which I have seen ACR do before, for example.

FastRAWViewer also thinks the RAW file is damaged, which implies either Adobe's RAW processing damaged it, or the card is indeed failing.

Okay I have re-copied the DNG file, directly from the card, does that make a difference? Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

I have also added the second version of the same image. This is interesting though, when I open the ‘okay’ one in ACR the corruption is there for about half a second and then it disappears. File with name Card 1 is the ‘permanently’ corrupted version on my software.

05-20-2018, 05:20 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Okay I have re-copied the DNG file, directly from the card, does that make a difference? Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help
One image shows an okay JPEG preview, but corrupted RAW. The other looks fine in both JPEG preview and RAW.

This is interesting though, when I open the ‘okay’ one in ACR the corruption is there for about half a second and then it disappears. File with name Card 1 is the ‘permanently’ corrupted version on my software.
That's strange. Perhaps ACR has the faulty image cached, and what you're briefly seeing is that cached image before the software updates to the "okay" one. That sounds plausible to me.
05-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
when I open the ‘okay’ one i
The 2nd version of the DNG opens fine, with no visible problems. Opens normally in various RAW viewers/editors, including Pentax Digital Camera Utility, DxOPhotoLab, FastRawViewer, and FastStone Image Viewer. I didn't try with Lightroom, just to keep clear of Adobe for this test.

As an incidental note, in looking at your EXIF I also was surprised to discover that there may be an apparent bug in Exiftool in relation to the reading of camera exposure values in the metering sensor matrix in the EXIF. Sometimes Exiftool reads & displays all the [hundreds of] exposure values, sometimes not, irrespective of camera firmware or Exiftool version, or the camera metering settings. I can't figure out why.
05-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your help figuring this out! relieved it's not a camera issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

As an incidental note, in looking at your EXIF I also was surprised to discover that there may be an apparent bug in Exiftool in relation to the reading of camera exposure values in the metering sensor matrix in the EXIF. Sometimes Exiftool reads & displays all the [hundreds of] exposure values, sometimes not, irrespective of camera firmware or Exiftool version, or the camera metering settings. I can't figure out why.
What does this mean exactly? Just a bug in the recorded values or something deeper?

05-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

This is a first for me, but I've noticed in the past that the K1 doesn't seem to like coloured LEDs at all.
The first photo with horizontal lines has been seen before in other threads with other cameras not just K-1. It's a symptom of file corruption, most likely a memory card issue.

Images 2, 3, plus the 4th you put in another post are intriguing. It looks like blacks are turning blue, something else is turning white, and there are some red speckles. LEDs might be exaggerating this issue but I don't think they are the root cause.
05-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What does this mean exactly?
Using Exiftool to open the RAW's, the exposure metering data being reported in your DNG's is incomplete. Normally one would see this matrix of data in a K-1 (or K-3/645Z) image EXIF:

Instead, in your images all we see under 'AE Metering Segments' is 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 [zeros] etc, ie that the 86k metering sensor is [seemingly] not reporting any exposure data.

This may not have an implications for the image problems you have been seeing. It could just be a EXIF reporting bug.

What I do find puzzling is that I see the 'AE Metering Segments' zeroed out in some of my own image EXIF's too. But mostly EXIF is normal.
I will look into this sometime to find out what camera configuration causes the AE metering data to stop being recorded in the EXIF.
05-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What kind of SD card is it ? Did you ever test it before, with a tool like h2testw, to make sure it wasn't a fake or defective card ?