Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 01:28 AM   #1

Corrupted photo files - faulty memory card

I did a job shooting a trade fair. A couple of photos came out corrupted in a way I have never seen on my K1 before. I was shooting with the 15-30mm and bracketing.
This is clearly not a optical phenomenon, I'm guessing it's caused by the purple LEDs that were mounted on the roof of the stand?
Photo details: ISO 100, 23mm, f9, 1/10sec.
Note: I have blurred out the corporate logos, so ignore that.

Honestly I think it looks kind of cool but it's not what I was going for.... Luckily it was just two out of many photos and didn't affect the final set.

This is a first for me, but I've noticed in the past that the K1 doesn't seem to like coloured LEDs at all.

(Edit: updated thread name in light of later information).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Dericali; 05-20-2018 at 01:56 AM.
05-20-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That is bizarre

Were you using electronic shutter, by any chance?
05-20-2018, 01:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That is bizarre

Were you using electronic shutter, by any chance?
No, mechanical shutter. I was using bracket mode, with the remote controller.
05-20-2018, 01:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
another detail

Attached Images

05-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm tempted to think it's a memory card issue. I don't suppose you wrote your files to both cards, so you can compare both copies to see if they're the same?
05-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very weird! Was this in jpeg or raw, or both?

I agree, it could well be a memory card thing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2018, 01:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'm tempted to think it's a memory card issue. I don't suppose you wrote your files to both cards, so you can compare both copies to see if they're the same?
You're right, it was the memory card! Only appears on the images on one of the cards I recorded to.

Do I bin the card? It was only an issue on 2 photos of around 800...

05-20-2018, 01:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Do they look like this when viewed on the camera rear screen, or only after you have processed them?

Also in one of the EXIF's I'm seeing:
ICC Profile Name: ProPhoto RGB
which may have something to do with the issue. Maybe an out-of-gamut problem.
05-20-2018, 02:02 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
You're right, it was the memory card! Only appears on the images on one of the cards I recorded to.

Do I bin the card? It was only an issue on 2 photos of around 800...
You could try doing a full format of the card (not a quick format, but one where the data is overwritten) using SD Association's formatting utility and see how you get on after that. But if it were me and I was depending on my cards for work, I'd bin it or have it replaced under warranty if possible. I'm pretty sure that some of the more reputable card manufacturers (SanDisk comes to mind) have pretty liberal warranties, so it's worth checking.

If you switch to a different card and this ever happens again with the same slot, it might be a camera problem. I think that's highly unlikely, but just bear it in mind.
05-20-2018, 02:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Do they look like this when viewed on the camera rear screen, or only after you have processed them?

Also in one of the EXIF's I'm seeing:
ICC Profile Name: ProPhoto RGB
which may have something to do with the issue. Maybe an out-of-gamut problem.
It doesn't appear on the camera screen, it also doesn't appear on the preview in finder (Mac), but it appears when I open it in LR or ACR.
05-20-2018, 02:17 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't appear on the camera screen, it also doesn't appear on the preview in finder (Mac), but it appears when I open it in LR or ACR.
Assuming you're shooting RAW, it's probably the RAW image that is corrupted. When you view the image on the camera's screen or in software preview, you're seeing the embedded JPEG preview.

One other possibility (though an unlikely one, given that the images on the second card are OK) is that something in Lightroom or ACR has become corrupted. I run Linux, and use a programme called "digiKam" for my library management. I recently had an issue where some of the preview images in a set I took with my Q7 had all sorts of weird magenta lines and other "corruption". I thought it was a problem with the card, but when I previewed the images in other software, or opened them for editing in Darktable, everything looked fine. I re-installed digiKam, and the problem disappeared. So, it's just possible that you have a similar issue. But, as I said, given that the images on your second card are fine, I'm pretty sure it's the card at fault and not your software.
05-20-2018, 03:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

something in Lightroom or ACR
It is indeed always a good idea to check with another viewing program.

How do the DNGs look when opened in the Pentax Digital Camera Utility software that came with the K-1? Or Capture One, or DxO, or even something like FastRAWViewer?
05-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It is indeed always a good idea to check with another viewing program.

How do the DNGs look when opened in the Pentax Digital Camera Utility software that came with the K-1? Or Capture One, or DxO, or even something like FastRAWViewer?
I don't have any other viewing programme currently installed.

Here's a raw file in case anyone else is interested in checking. Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

Given that it only affects an inconsequential number of images it's more a curiosity than a worry.
05-20-2018, 04:54 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just tried opening it in Darktable. The embedded JPEG preview is fine, but the RAW file shows the corruption.

Either retire that card, or try formatting it fully using the utility I linked to, and give it another go... but don't depend on it for professional use until you're sure it's ok.
05-20-2018, 05:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's a raw file in case anyone else is interested
Thanks. But that DNG has already been through some Adobe software, so it is already processed and kind of incomplete. All of the thousands of data points for the K-1 metering sensor, for example, have been totally zeroed out, which I have seen ACR do before, for example.

FastRAWViewer also thinks the RAW file is damaged, which implies either Adobe's RAW processing damaged it, or the card is indeed failing.