Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Universal RC2 bracket

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I finally got an L plate for my K-1ii. I'd been toying with the idea while I owned my original K-1 but only just decided to give it a try.
I got this one, presumably made in China. It's almost good out of the box but blocks the battery door. I took a hacksaw to mine to shorten the lower piece and then cleaned it up with a file and some flat black enamel. Not perfect but close enough for my needs.
The side part does block the USB/HDMI/etc port cluster and just touches the covers for the remote and audio plug. I never use those features so that was not an issue for me. Shooting real estate with the new bracket was nice and I already liked being able to flip the camera to portrait orientation from my 645D having tripod mounts on both the bottom and side.
I went with the Manfrotto RC2 plate because I'm already standardized on that system and don't want to change. All in all it was worth it and I plan to use it a lot.
If someone were to take this design and make both sides a little shorter it could be perfect out of the box for a K-1.

05-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Last week I got this SODIAL Universal MPU100 Quick Release L Plate Bracket for Camera Benro Arca for 8$ from AMZ. Groove is parallel to sensor so it was easy to make sure that plate does not block battery door. After my purchase price went down by 1$ so I ordered an another one for future.
05-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I probably didn't read all those threads but my challenge was finding one with a Manfrotto RC2 plate instead of Arca Swiss. I didn't want to switch systems if I didn't have to; I'm happy with RC2.

05-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

Manfrotto makes a L bracket with an RC2 plate. Of course it costs 3-3.5× what you paid. And it might block the battery (though it looks adjustable) and the side door and connectors.

L BRACKET Q2

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-21-2018 at 09:15 PM.
05-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, the Manfrotto one was the only other I found. It looks bulkier too. I just thought I'd let everyone know what it takes to make this one work reasonably well in case someone else was considering it.