Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2018, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new test of K-1II by Optyczne,pl (Lenstip in English)

Here's test made by Polish camera and lens review site Optyczne.pl (also known as Lenstip)
Test Pentax K-1 II - Wst

K-1 II has been tested with DFA 24-70 and Sigma A 35mm lenses.

As points of reference, Lenstip chose Nikon D850, Sony A7R III and K-1.

Denoising of RAWs at ISO settings bigger than 400 confirmed. The loss of detail induced by denoising, measured as difference in resolution for ISO 800 compared to 400 (where no denoising happens) is at maximum 1.1 lpmm.

K-1 II static AF seems to work better in tungsten light than other cameras. In daylight results are not impressive in comparison, and a few totally missed shots happened (with DFA 24-70). In general, AF performance (including AF-C) was given 'average' rating.

Standard Pixel Shift mode gives around 5 lpmm gain in resolution. MTF analysis does not indicate sharpening. Dynamic Pixel Shift results resolution-wise are not much better than standard shots. Motion correction works okay.

K-1 II noise at three lowest ISO settings is lower than D850, A7RIII and K-1. Charts indicate it is true also for higher ISOs, but Lenstip said that due to forced denoising it is hard to come up with objective comparison.

Lenstip does not see K-1 II as an upgrade worth the money, and advises to stick to its cheaper predecessor.

Copied from here
Another labtest of K-1 II: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

One question - why do they think that it's NR in RAW from ISO400?

Noise is there, it's not noiseless photos. Just the cleaner shadows and tiny less details. It could be another hardware+software work of K-1II. Can we name it NR in RAW or not?

06-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This whole debate between the K1 and K1ii is getting very murky. It was not that long ago that I was all for the upgrade. I am not so convinced now. I really love my K-1, and it would seem the purported benefit of the K1ii can be achieved manually in post processing. I think I will stick with my K1 for now.
06-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
This whole debate between the K1 and K1ii is getting very murky. It was not that long ago that I was all for the upgrade. I am not so convinced now. I really love my K-1, and it would seem the purported benefit of the K1ii can be achieved manually in post processing. I think I will stick with my K1 for now.

Agree. I think I'll wait a bit and see what other reviews show. I also hate parting with the camera for a couple of weeks in the summer ...
06-02-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was considering having my K1 serviced into a quasi K1 MK II, but I'm glad to have seen some testing by people who have equipment rather than personal judgement for evaluating at least some of the performance differences. I think the truth is that the improvements in IQ are something you know - or think - is there, but only rarely, if ever, can actually see. I'm now convinced I should stick with my plain-Jane (??) K1 and save the money to service my LBA

06-02-2018, 09:07 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it seems to me it is a bit like the old question: "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

If a camera's I.Q. can only be determined by tests and not by looking at the image, is it really better I.Q.?
06-02-2018, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #6

I have a K-1 Mk2 and have previously used a K-1 when it was first released (rental). If I owned a K1, I probably wouldn’t pay for the upgrade, but I chose the MK2 model for further firmware support and the promise of slight AF improvement. The K-1 Mk2 seems ever slightly more decisive when focusing, and I think it’s a subtle but noticeable difference. Whether that’s worth $550 is up to the individual...it really is a tough call for people upgrading.
06-02-2018, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must say that right from the start when Ricoh first started releasing K-1ii images but before there were any tests done, I thought that it looked like there was too much smoothing in the K-1ii, but the colours were better, cleaner and more vibrant. I sort of wish that they would keep both cameras in production, like when you used to have a choice between a version with an AA filter and one without - and that shouldn't be difficult id it's only a circuit board that's different, but it doesn't seem to be the Pentax way.

06-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Their site is broken - if I don't allow them to set cookies (which they use to track activity and they share with "partners"), the "privacy policy" message keeps popping up.
If they can't get this right, what chance do they have with a much more difficult review?
06-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Their site is broken - if I don't allow them to set cookies (which they use to track activity and they share with "partners"), the "privacy policy" message keeps popping up.
If they can't get this right, what chance do they have with a much more difficult review?
The site is working fine and doesn't offer to accept cookies. You pass the desirable for reality.
Or you have any browser's troubles. The review is made very professionally and intelligibly.

Last edited by ogl; 06-02-2018 at 11:21 AM.
06-02-2018, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #10
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
https://www.optyczne.pl/398.7-Test_aparatu-Pentax_K-1_II_Szumy_i_jakość_obrazu_w_RAW.html
As for me, I like K-1II's pictures more than Nikon and Sony.
06-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The site is working fine and doesn't offer to accept cookies. You pass the desirable for reality.
Or you have any browser's troubles. The review is made very professionally and intelligibly.
So eager to attack others... yet you can't be bothered to make sense. The following message, you thought I desired it into appearing?And yeah, I know how to get rid of it.
Attached Images

06-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
If a camera's I.Q. can only be determined by tests and not by looking at the image, is it really better I.Q.?

I usually avoid commenting on these threads. I do not plan to buy either a K-1 or a K-I ii. But your comment is so "spot on" that I couldn't let it pass. You have nailed it nicely in my view.
06-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I certainly respect Lenstips opinions as they are pretty thorough in their reviews and as far as biases go they try really hard to be neutral.

I must admit if I had the K-1 II, I would probably be happy with it and likely would find the high ISO performance quite good (maybe even better than my K-1 for my typical use). That said I don't like that magenta cast in the K-1 II dynamic range tests much (this was also highlighted on CameraVille recently) and also would rather not have less battery life than the K-1.

As much as I like the idea of being able to upgrade my K-1 (and would like to support the service), its looking likely that I won't be taking it up unfortunately.
Maybe Pentax will alleviate some of these issues with a firmware update?
06-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for the review. A firmware update should be an obvious alternative...
06-02-2018, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I own both and like both. I have to admit that the hand held pixel shift has worked fine. My K1-II handles shutter shock better too. so that with shake reduction enabled there is no shutter speed range that has to be avoided. The focus speed does seem a little better. In real photographs I see little to no difference. I have not done side by side shots and have no intention of doing so. I simply want to make pleasing images.

As I get older and shakier I am having to adapt to new realities. Especially if I want to keep on making good photographs. More tripods and monopods at the moment. Really good autofocus in the future This will drive my future photographic purchases not some discussion about loss of detail at high ISO's. There is always loss of detail at high ISO's.

In the K1-II Pentax has gotten just about as many features and highest image quality out of that technology as possible. They have done a great job at it.