Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Full time manual focus on Pentax K1

Hi All,
Am tired of calibrating my Sigma 35mm ART f 1.4 lens using USB dock and also using in camera adjustment. I just could not make it to work across all focal lengths. Even tried sending it to CR.Kennnedy twice for calibration but nothing was done on the lens calibration and its waste of time and money. I now started to get hang of manual focus using view finder using Sigma 35mm lens and am still in learning phase. Anyone shooting these days with complete manual focus ? It would help if you can share some tips to assist me in knowing the limitations in using manual focus full time.

Regards,
Matt

06-03-2018, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, live view is your friend- focus peaking combined with magnification is an indispensable tool.

When shooting through the viewfinder, stop down as much as possible given your subject/shooting conditions, as this will help mitigate any potential focusing errors.

Finally, if professionally calibrating the lens isn't helping, you should contact Sigma for a potential replacement or free adjustment. There are copies of these modern lenses that just cannot perform properly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Hi All,
Am tired of calibrating my Sigma 35mm ART f 1.4 lens using USB dock and also using in camera adjustment. I just could not make it to work across all focal lengths. Even tried sending it to CR.Kennnedy twice for calibration but nothing was done on the lens calibration and its waste of time and money. I now started to get hang of manual focus using view finder using Sigma 35mm lens and am still in learning phase. Anyone shooting these days with complete manual focus ? It would help if you can share some tips to assist me in knowing the limitations in using manual focus full time.

Regards,
Matt
I ran into issues with some lenses too, but I use mainly my zooms which are tricky since there's kbly one lens calibrating profile that you can create for all focal lengths. Although, just for clarification, what do you mean "across all focal lengths"? If it's referring to Sigma 35, wouldn't it be just one focal length since it's a prime lens?
06-03-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently got the Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder loupe for my K1. Kicking myself for not getting it a lot sooner.

06-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Live view is only way to (manually) focus successfully with high resolution camera bodies. Note that focus peaking is only approximation and seldom hits the real intended spot twice. This is so with every camera offering that feature including Sony, Fuji, Olympus and to some extend Canon with Magic Lantern which actually has excellent accuracy with focus peaking but it causes heavy performance hit. So, use magnified live view straight down to 16x mode which is over 100% magnification but good lenses still produce usable edge sharpness evaluation.
Then, with the basics covered, sell the Sigma if possible and get Zeiss lenses. Part (say, 50%) of successful manual focus experience is smooth focusing feel and Zeiss provides this. Samyang lenses are average with default grease which can be changed in camera service shop. I have not found any (modern) AF-capable lens which has pleasant focusing excluding old Zeiss Contax-N AF lenses. For example 24-85N is a marvel but unfortunately not usable with K-mount.
06-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Live view is only way to (manually) focus successfully with high resolution camera bodies. Note that focus peaking is only approximation and seldom hits the real intended spot twice. This is so with every camera offering that feature including Sony, Fuji, Olympus and to some extend Canon with Magic Lantern which actually has excellent accuracy with focus peaking but it causes heavy performance hit. So, use magnified live view straight down to 16x mode which is over 100% magnification but good lenses still produce usable edge sharpness evaluation.
Then, with the basics covered, sell the Sigma if possible and get Zeiss lenses. Part (say, 50%) of successful manual focus experience is smooth focusing feel and Zeiss provides this. Samyang lenses are average with default grease which can be changed in camera service shop. I have not found any (modern) AF-capable lens which has pleasant focusing excluding old Zeiss Contax-N AF lenses. For example 24-85N is a marvel but unfortunately not usable with K-mount.
Focusing samyang 14 manually was a bit easier than my 15-30 lol, I think focus throw was longer and with more resistance, which suited me more.
06-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took me a little experimenting to crack manual focussing on a 15mm lens. As Adam says LV is helpful, but for me a Hoodman Loupe, along with LV works well. I string the loupe round my neck and swing it over the LCD. Switch LV on. Magnify. Holding the loupe in place with one hand and focussing with the other. It would probably be easier for a you with a longer FL than I'm using. Maybe this might work ...?

06-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi All,

Regards,
Matt
Matt how are you shooting...from a tripod hand held walking around spontaneous measured etc. Turning off all the overlays in the optical viewfinder greatly improves manual focus. Using Live View as Adam stated will give you accurate focus were you want manually.
06-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Am tired of calibrating my Sigma 35mm ART f 1.4 lens
That lens had terribly in-consistent AF on my K-3. A cursed lens. On my K-1 it's been better, but I don't trust it, and don't like to use it much. Now you have me worried all over again.

Problems with the AF consistency of the Sigma 35 1.4 on Nikon and Canon also crop up regularly. I suspect the firmware for that lens is not well written. Not much CRK's repair team can do about that, alas.
06-03-2018, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the assistance. This is why am proud to be a Pentax owner

My apologies regarding the focal length confusion. What I meant was the distance. I cannot get it to be calibrated across all distance especially at 1 to 2 meter and at infinity. Even when I thought everything was calibrated and once am out shooting the next week , I still have issues. I tend to do in camera adjustments during that time and I miss all moments . It spoils the mood and hence thought myself that I will not be wasting any more time in adjusting this and rather will get used to manual focussing.

I shoot hand held most of the time when I go out with my family since my Manfrotto tripod is but heavy to carry it around. Am actually planning for a Newzealand trip in month of October and thinking of getting a light weight tripod and an ultra wide lens to suit my budget. Now that I cannot trust the sigma 35mm lens , I will have to look for alternate solution without breaking my bank.

I believe CRKennedy handles all warranty and am not sure if there is option to context Sigma directly.

Regards,
Matt
06-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone for the assistance. This is why am proud to be a Pentax owner

My apologies regarding the focal length confusion. What I meant was the distance. I cannot get it to be calibrated across all distance especially at 1 to 2 meter and at infinity. Even when I thought everything was calibrated and once am out shooting the next week , I still have issues. I tend to do in camera adjustments during that time and I miss all moments . It spoils the mood and hence thought myself that I will not be wasting any more time in adjusting this and rather will get used to manual focussing.

I shoot hand held most of the time when I go out with my family since my Manfrotto tripod is but heavy to carry it around. Am actually planning for a Newzealand trip in month of October and thinking of getting a light weight tripod and an ultra wide lens to suit my budget. Now that I cannot trust the sigma 35mm lens , I will have to look for alternate solution without breaking my bank.

I believe CRKennedy handles all warranty and am not sure if there is option to context Sigma directly.

Regards,
Matt
Am I correct in thinking that you shoot nearly wide-open, so getting focus exactly perfect really matter?
06-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

my Manfrotto tripod is but heavy to carry it around.
I have a compact little Manfrotto MMC3 monopod that goes with me everywhere. Often tripods are not practical.
06-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do shoot wide open frequently especially in low light and indoors. Last time when I went to Taronga zoo with my family, I can't get the focus locked on my daughter. Even though the focus confirmation says it's in focus, I clearly can see from view finder that it's not. I have refocus multiple times to correct it. Even so most of the pictures taken at 2 meter distance is heavily front focussed even though the calibrated everything a day before . But the pictures in close distance less than a meter are tack sharp.this is usual behaviour of this lens.

@rawr, thanks for the advise. The only reason I may use tripod is to take picture of family using remote shutter or timer this is going to be frequent in my New Zealand trip

Thanks ,
Matt
06-04-2018, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

matroxication for what you are doing handheld shots turning off the Viewfinder overlays completely greatly helps in manual focusing. Plus always check the diopter. If the diopter is not set to your eye sight will make it hard to find the right focus point. For me the diopter often gets moved from removing the camera in out of my bag.

Shooting wide open is problematic whether shooting manual or with AF in getting your focus point right. Stopping down slightly to at least ƒ 3.5- ƒ4.5 improves your chances of getting your focus point where you want it.
07-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi All,

Regards,
Matt
I tried the ART 35 and it ticked me off. It was impossible to find a decent distance for AF calibration. This is the only Sigma lens for Pentax supported by the USB dock. I am not buying a USB dock to fine tune a single lens with it - it should come free with the lens. Good to see that even the USB dock didn't work. I simply returned the lens. When in focus, results looked great by the way. Manual focus and focus peaking for an AF lens are not a viable solution for me. So no 3x mm lens for me. Don't even mention the FA31.