Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
yeah, the 35/1.4 is such a hit and miss, not to mention the slow focus confirmation. I personally use live view with focus peaking for my manual focus. I've tried using the viewfinder and had some luck, but never the sharpness I wanted or could get from good AF lenses.

07-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #17

Maybe I am fooling myself, but I always have my autofocus set for center spot with the AF back button set and I leave the AF setting on even when in manual, or using a completely manual focus lens. When I am having some issues, I press the AF button (on back) and the center square indicator flashes when I am in the focus zone. It works great when not completely wide open on the lens. The K55/1.8 is the widest aperture lens I have since I usually work between 2.8 and 16. Otherwise, I use the live view for situations where I have time to use it.

JB

Last edited by Take-5-JB; 07-22-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: syntax
09-25-2020, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Live view is only way to (manually) focus successfully with high resolution camera bodies
That is not true though. I've photographed events with the Rokinon 135mm f/2 using only optical viewfinder on the k-1 and using the focus comfirmation beep. All shots perfectly in focus. Both at f/2 and f/2.8. It's a whole lot faster too than using F.P. or liveview. Who has time for live view? Great for tripod shots but not for handheld in my opinion
09-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have time for liveview. I leave my camera home when I don't have time to compose on tripod. I left OVF manual focusing after Nikon D700 (12MP) - way too many misses even with wide angles. EVF is okay though, focus peaking helps evaluating focused areas somewhat.

I would say that if there is no time for liveview work, there is no time for manual focusing. Thus, use of AF is required.

10-07-2020, 01:12 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I have time for liveview. I leave my camera home when I don't have time to compose on tripod. I left OVF manual focusing after Nikon D700 (12MP) - way too many misses even with wide angles. EVF is okay though, focus peaking helps evaluating focused areas somewhat.

I would say that if there is no time for liveview work, there is no time for manual focusing. Thus, use of AF is required.
My Finnish friend: For liveview focusing you need a tripod right? At least I do, because it's hard to keep the camera complete still while zooming and stuff on my screen. If you agree with me, it means you only shoot manual focus on a tripod. I am using manual focus on my K-1 often when I'm out hiking. Shots are mostly in perfect focus. Let me know if you want examples. Only time I can think of focus peaking or adjusting manual focus on the liveview is when I shoot landscapes. Because then we're talking getting portions of a photo in focus, it's not such a big deal if the camera movies while I'm focusing
10-07-2020, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Just curious -

On the one hand, if so many are advocating using live view, isn't that somewhat undermining the case for Pentax?
On the other hand, my experience of a Sigma lens was the 30 Art on K-5 IIs, since when I've bought only Pentax.

Philip
10-07-2020, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #22
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
My Finnish friend: For liveview focusing you need a tripod right? At least I do, because it's hard to keep the camera complete still while zooming and stuff on my screen. If you agree with me, it means you only shoot manual focus on a tripod. I am using manual focus on my K-1 often when I'm out hiking. Shots are mostly in perfect focus. Let me know if you want examples. Only time I can think of focus peaking or adjusting manual focus on the liveview is when I shoot landscapes. Because then we're talking getting portions of a photo in focus, it's not such a big deal if the camera movies while I'm focusing
Totally wrong. I am permanently in LV with a loupe on the K-1 and manual focusing with fast lenses wide open. The thing is when handholding and you have focused close enough with the focus ring you then fine tune with moving slightly forward and backward and catch your shot. Intuitive once you are used to it.

10-07-2020, 04:12 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Totally wrong
Haha, "Totally wrong"!
10-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The biggest problem I have with manual focus are the lenses inside my eyeballs. They require multifocal prescription glasses. I can take the glasses off and use the diopter correction in the viewfinder, but it doesn't help much. The setting that works at infinity doesn't work at three meters, and vice versa. The other problem is that I can't make out much on the the rear screen without my glasses.

Enlarged live view on my Pentax K-x works well but it is slow going. The EVF on my Samsung NX1 is somewhat better. The biggest problem there is that you have to press the OK button in the four way controller to make the focus aid (enlarge and/or focus peaking) kick in with non-NX lenses. Press or half-press the shutter button and it goes away. The other problem is that aperture is manual.

I seldomly use manual focus with auto focus lenses. I find that there is little need for that but YMMV.
10-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
Haha, "Totally wrong"!
Lost in translation?
10-07-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The biggest problem I have with manual focus are the lenses inside my eyeballs. They require multifocal prescription glasses. I can take the glasses off and use the diopter correction in the viewfinder, but it doesn't help much. The setting that works at infinity doesn't work at three meters, and vice versa. The other problem is that I can't make out much on the the rear screen without my glasses.

Enlarged live view on my Pentax K-x works well but it is slow going. The EVF on my Samsung NX1 is somewhat better. The biggest problem there is that you have to press the OK button in the four way controller to make the focus aid (enlarge and/or focus peaking) kick in with non-NX lenses. Press or half-press the shutter button and it goes away. The other problem is that aperture is manual.

I seldomly use manual focus with auto focus lenses. I find that there is little need for that but YMMV.
For manual focus, LV, x10 and a Hoodman Loupe, works accurately for me. It shields the sun and is easily worn round the neck and swung into use when required. It probably feels a little like the 'proper' way to take stills using large format and a cape, though I've never used one ...
10-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #27

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Hi All,
Am tired of calibrating my Sigma 35mm ART f 1.4 lens using USB dock and also using in camera adjustment. I just could not make it to work across all focal lengths. Even tried sending it to CR.Kennnedy twice for calibration but nothing was done on the lens calibration and its waste of time and money. I now started to get hang of manual focus using view finder using Sigma 35mm lens and am still in learning phase. Anyone shooting these days with complete manual focus ? It would help if you can share some tips to assist me in knowing the limitations in using manual focus full time.

Regards,
Matt
I use 2 methods. I use focus confirmation along with the Pentax O-ME53 to dial in focus. I also strap a Hoodman loupe to the camera and use live view.
10-08-2020, 03:26 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes.

I agree that the best way to manually focus is to use magnified LV. This usually means the camera is best placed on a tripod, but can be done hand held with the method of moving yourself back and forward to achieve perfect focus. I don't use the AF aids in LV. When magnified 100% my eyes can do a quicker job just as accurately.

However using the OVF is also a valid method, but you need to practice your skill or you will get missed focus. Photographers (myself included) used OVF for decades, with and without focus screen aids.

I do also use the PDAF AF indicator (green hexagon) when manually focussing with the viewfinder. But if you use this method you need to make sure your cameras AF Fine adjustment is calibrated correctly (if needed) in the global (APPLY ALL) setting. Otherwise you will get missed focus.

I took this shot handheld with the K1 and M* 300mm. I relied solely on AF confirmation in the OVF. .............

10-08-2020, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Wonderful rose photo, Peter.

Philip
10-09-2020, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I took this shot handheld with the K1 and M* 300mm. I relied solely on AF confirmation in the OVF. .............
Awesome shot my fellow European friend Or wait, UK is still Europe? Haha, just kidding