Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #16
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Really beautiful set! You are a great aviation photgrapher who knows hoe to shoot an airshow.

My favourite pics are the ones of the F-4U Corsairl and CF-118 (K2P00839a, K2P00894a and K2P01117a) as these are what I call plane portraits superbly executed.
Thanks redpit, those are the photos we all hope for, the right angle at a reasonable distance with decent lighting.

---------- Post added 06-07-18 at 09:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Great pictures, I'm at an air show in a couple of weeks and these give me something to aim at and some idea of technique.
And don't you just love a Pitts Special, real aerial hot rods
I hope its a really good airshow, regardless of anything have fun! Yes the Pitts Special is something extraordinary.

---------- Post added 06-07-18 at 09:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yep it's not bad and not on all photos... and the shadows are generally fine to me, it's just the extreme blacks that could be a little more "anchored down", but those are minutiae.
And yes, probably reflections off the grass.
Thanks for confirming this, I'll consider anchoring the blacks a little stronger int he future.

06-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

There are some great gems in there Mike, I only had a quick glance now, but I'll look over them some more this evening and may comment further.
Cheers!
06-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #18

Wow, those are some really great shots, there, Mike! Suddenly, the ones I took with my K10D and DA-L 55-300 seem a little inadequate...

Judging by the clear skies, I'm guessing you were there on the Saturday as was I; it would've been nice to have bumped into you especially since we were probably the only Pentax shooters in the entire crowd. An interesting comment you make about the airborne dandelion seeds--I noticed those white specks in a few of my shots as well where it was getting close to the sun. I just assumed it was dust on the lens elements. I still have to PP a few of my Snowbird pictures (hopefully this weekend) but most of mine are up on my Flickr page.

Again, great work! Enjoyed viewing your photos!
06-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
There was good and bad but it was all fun,

I left in some unlikely photos, one where I cut the nose of the CF-118 and another where I pulled an Icarus by shooting too close to the sun. I also had a little fun incorporating veiling flare into a few photos. You may see white spots in some of the photos, thats likely from something along the lines of dandelion seeds in the atmosphere noticeable when shooting near the sun as they light up in those angles.

There are 147 photos in the gallery, With so many photos there is no point in posting sets over the next few weeks. If you like a particular photo it would be nice if you include it in your reply (right click and select copy image location for the URL)

CFB Borden Airshow 2018 ~ First Airshow With The K-1 II

Do Enjoy!
The Borden Air show? Cool. I live minutes away from there. The snowbirds were flying over my house doing their turn arounds. I got a few pics with my K1 and my 500mm mirror. Fun stuff.

06-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series. I always enjoy airshow images.
06-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #21
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
There are some great gems in there Mike, I only had a quick glance now, but I'll look over them some more this evening and may comment further.
Cheers!
Thanks bertwert, I hope you see even more gems when you look closer
06-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #22

Great pictures Mike, hard to pic a favorite. For the local Pentax shooters the F18 and the Snowbirds are back June 23-24 in Wasaga Beach.

Home | Heroes Festival Canada

06-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #23
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Orbus Quote
Wow, those are some really great shots, there, Mike! Suddenly, the ones I took with my K10D and DA-L 55-300 seem a little inadequate...

Judging by the clear skies, I'm guessing you were there on the Saturday as was I; it would've been nice to have bumped into you especially since we were probably the only Pentax shooters in the entire crowd. An interesting comment you make about the airborne dandelion seeds--I noticed those white specks in a few of my shots as well where it was getting close to the sun. I just assumed it was dust on the lens elements. I still have to PP a few of my Snowbird pictures (hopefully this weekend) but most of mine are up on my Flickr page.

Again, great work! Enjoyed viewing your photos!
Thanks Orbis, Nothing wrong with your equipment, I was shooting airshows with the K10D back in 2007, Its just easier now. Yes I was there Saturday, I sure would have been great to bump into you, I have bumped into other Pentaxians at airshows before. Seeing as how we don't live too far away from each other (I'm in Brampton) maybe we should try to meet sometime. As for dust or seeds I don't believer those little flecks of dust in a lens would show up so small given how big they show up when on the sensor, they should only get bigger the further they are and they never showed up in the same places or the same pattern. IMO it has to be seeds.

Just saw your gallery, you've got some nice ones there too!

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 09:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
The Borden Air show? Cool. I live minutes away from there. The snowbirds were flying over my house doing their turn arounds. I got a few pics with my K1 and my 500mm mirror. Fun stuff.
So you know what this means right? in 2 years you'll attend the airshow for more photos!

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Great series. I always enjoy airshow images.
Thanks bobell69, Always great to help someone enjoy airshow photos.

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
Great pictures Mike, hard to pic a favorite. For the local Pentax shooters the F18 and the Snowbirds are back June 23-24 in Wasaga Beach.

Home | Heroes Festival Canada
I'm interested in going but I haven't found a decent map showing where show center will be and where parking is. Obviously I've never actually been to Wasaga Beach.
06-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #24

Thanks Orbis, Nothing wrong with your equipment, I was shooting airshows with the K10D back in 2007, Its just easier now. Yes I was there Saturday, I sure would have been great to bump into you, I have bumped into other Pentaxians at airshows before. Seeing as how we don't live too far away from each other (I'm in Brampton) maybe we should try to meet sometime. As for dust or seeds I don't believer those little flecks of dust in a lens would show up so small given how big they show up when on the sensor, they should only get bigger the further they are and they never showed up in the same places or the same pattern. IMO it has to be seeds.

Just saw your gallery, you've got some nice ones there too!
Thanks for your kind words, Mike; it was my first time trying to take pictures at an air show so there was a bit of trial-and-error involved. That's the fun part of this hobby--it's always a learning experience. I try to do my best with the equipment I have without worrying about the latest and greatest but it would be nice to move up to a full frame one day. I can see from your pictures that the extra resolution afforded by the larger sensor would be advantageous in this particular application. Could you tell me what particular lenses you were using at the air show? And who knows, perhaps we will meet up some day!
06-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cool,. Very nice gallery. All is in focus.
06-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #26
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
Thanks for your kind words, Mike; it was my first time trying to take pictures at an air show so there was a bit of trial-and-error involved. That's the fun part of this hobby--it's always a learning experience. I try to do my best with the equipment I have without worrying about the latest and greatest but it would be nice to move up to a full frame one day. I can see from your pictures that the extra resolution afforded by the larger sensor would be advantageous in this particular application. Could you tell me what particular lenses you were using at the air show? And who knows, perhaps we will meet up some day!
Hey Rob,

So I used the Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX DG and Sigma 1.4x EX DG TC, I also used the Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG with and without the TC. Also the Venus 12mm F2.8 Zero-Distortion lens for the ground photos.
06-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #27

Hey Rob,

So I used the Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX DG and Sigma 1.4x EX DG TC, I also used the Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG with and without the TC. Also the Venus 12mm F2.8 Zero-Distortion lens for the ground photos.
Thanks for sharing that info, Mike. I imagine that 500mm is tricky to handle hand-held? Impressive results with those lenses and TCs, for sure!
06-09-2018, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #28
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Cool,. Very nice gallery. All is in focus.
Thanks biz-engineer, I wouldn't be happy putting them in a gallery if they weren't in focus (unless its to demonstrate loss of focus, or for an out of focus effect)

---------- Post added 06-09-18 at 10:42 AM ----------

Thanks for sharing that info, Mike. I imagine that 500mm is tricky to handle hand-held? Impressive results with those lenses and TCs, for sure!
Not at all, maybe I'm used to it... I've always suggested if you need the gear then you really have no reason to complain about its size, weight or cost, if you can complain about those items and use them as justification not to buy some gear then you really didn't need that gear in the first place. Basically if you need it you'll suck it up and figure out how to make it work for you.