Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 02:23 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Bad news folks. I had to return the 24mm lens due to issues Am now back on shopping for the wide angle lens.

Last edited by matroxication; 07-16-2018 at 02:30 AM.
07-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Bad news folks. I had to return the 24mm lens due to issues Am now back on shopping for the wide angle lens.
Honestly, if you still have the money for it, grab the DFA 28-105. With good WR and a range that covers both wide and tele landscape photography, its almost the perfect NZ lens! It’s also a lens that can easily find a home in almost any K-1 kit.

I found that my 28-105 is actually a little wider than my 28mm prime, Though still narrower than my 24mm, so I suspect it is really around 26-27mm at the wide end (rounded off focal lengths are pretty common). If you can combine it with a 20mm or so lens at some stage you will have as much width as a landscape photographer could ask for (things start getting very weird and hard to utilise beyond 20mm). That said, I don’t think you’ll need anything that wide for NZ - much of the scenic beauty over there is best appreciated at telephoto range! Anything that calls for more than 28mm you can just take several shots and stitch them together when you get home.
07-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #48

I love the Irix 15mm. These 3 were shot during my recent trip in Mongolia, shows what you can do with it other than just landscape. Sorry but I don't have these hosted somewhere else in high resolution. I wanted the Blackstone (metal) but due to lack of local stock settled for the Firefly. No regrets.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@GodsPetMonkey, thanks for the input. I was seriously thinking about that lens but now I have 35mm, 50mm, 77mm and 100mm primes and hence not sure if it will be very beneficial. I agree it will be good as a travel lens but post my NZ trip, I don't want that lens to sleep in my bag.

@adewhite, some nice shots to understand the perspective of 15mm with people. I will be mostly taking pictures with my family in it and not just the landscape alone. So not sure if 15mm is going to be too wide or search something with 20mm.

07-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #50

Agree with you on the 20mm. On the other hand, I do find the 15mm to be very useful when I want to take a group photo (or otherwise) and I want to include some of the background elements. I don't have to step way back and the people won't end up being only a small part of the photo. Not to mention indoors and small spaces.

Decisions decision decisions lol...
07-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do you have any pictures with the groups that you can share ? If am going with 15mm , the best bet is to keep people in the middle but I don't want to look tiny as well. On my trip , it would be just my family and the picture taken with remote shutter with camera mounted on tripod
07-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #52

Sure thing. The first one is about 90% crop, the other two 100%. Photo @Flickr if you're interested in the exif and higher res.

This is what I mean by having the whole significant background in the picture (frozen waterfall).

This photo in the ger (yurt) would be simply impossible without an ultra wide.

Another example of having both the group and what the place was all about.

07-17-2018, 03:38 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice pics and thanks for sharing. I completely agree that ultra wide can be very beneficial in tight spaces and landscapes. But at the same time I need to know how to use it and get the right composition. Else I will be cropping all the pics which defeats the purpose of having an ultra wide lens.
09-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally pulled the plug and ordered Samyang 14 2.8 for my Pentax K1. Got 25% discount with 2 years warranty. Could not resist it since its half the price of Irix 15mm Firefly. I should be getting it tomorrow hopefully and yet to take it out for a spin. Need to play with it and get comfortable before taking it to the trip.
09-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Finally pulled the plug and ordered Samyang 14 2.8 for my Pentax K1. Got 25% discount with 2 years warranty. Could not resist it since its half the price of Irix 15mm Firefly. I should be getting it tomorrow hopefully and yet to take it out for a spin. Need to play with it and get comfortable before taking it to the trip.
Make sure to test the Samyang thoroughly upon receipt. I received a pretty bad copy, when I got mine new from B&H years ago (heavily decentered!). Advantages of the Irix 15mm is, better construction and use of filters in front- and gels in back of the lenses. I have a full back of the lens, gel set for my Irix 11mm blackstone and they work well and are very cheap! Also, from what I have seen in images from others, there is less smearing and less fringing in the corners and a sharper center, but have not actually done a side-by-side myself. I would say, if you are happy after testing, stay with this lens, but if not, the Irix might be worth the extra dollars. Lastly, I used the Irix Blackstone twice in blizzard conditions in Glacier National park. Ended up with frozen ice on the front of the lens and camera, but nothing penetrated the interior of the lens which I found quite astounding and made me a instant fan. Firefly and Blackstone both have rubber seals at the lensmount - I believe - which will keep any moisture or water out of the camera - which I consider important! I am sure, I could have tossed my Samyang after that kind of event/abuse, but who knows?
09-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks mtgmansf. I wanted to buy the Irix firefly but karma played with me and ended up buying Pentax 77 Ltd which I dont regret btw. Since my budget is now reduced, I have to go with Samyang since I need an UWA for the trip. I will definitely have to test this lens
09-10-2018, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Congrats on the purchase.

The Samyang 14/2.8 is a good option and more flare tolerant than the Irix 15.

Taken with my Samyang 14/2.8

09-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks pinholecam. Those are very nice pictures.

Any issues in particular that I need to look for in these Samyang lenses. I think I have one week to swap them in case of any issues.
09-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Thanks pinholecam. Those are very nice pictures.

Any issues in particular that I need to look for in these Samyang lenses. I think I have one week to swap them in case of any issues.
My few cents..
1. Check for decentering (my copy as good, but there are quite a few reported cases)
2. The infinity mark can be off, though imo, its not a big deal as I focus my magnified LV and remember what marking correlates with infinity
3. It may take f11 to get sharpness all the way to the corners, so don't be afraid to use f11.
4. LR has the profile for Samyang lenses, so that will help for distortion (which this lens has quite a bit)

Its a very good lens for the price.
The distortion is a non-issue in most cases (esp for natural landscapes) and can generally be taken care of by a lens correction profile.
09-11-2018, 01:49 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the valuable info. I will test the lens and will let you know