Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Avoid direct competition on price implies differentiation on the products, hence the universal problem of buying a camera and then noticing that other models have features that your own camera doesn't have while forgetting that your camera has features that other cameras don't have. In order to solve this problem, one would buy all camera models that have at least one feature that other models don't have.
I see, seems I'm in the minority here and vast majority doesn't want updates. Noted

06-11-2018, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Whatever floats your boat Steve
Sorry for being a curmudgeonly grump.

I guess I just don't understand the tradition on this site of firmware update angst. I mean that honestly and not as grumpy sarcasm. It is super cool when performance improvements or new features are passed to us as firmware updates. It is also very cool when problems are characterized and fixed and the patch pushed in a timely manner. My experience as a Pentax dSLR owner over the last decade or so is that Pentax, Hoya, and now Ricoh have been responsive and appropriate in both regards. I will admit, though, that I have only installed three firmware updates on my K-3 since I bought it in Spring of 2014, despite several those updates having new and valuable features. I am really not that into updates.

I will also admit to being a little miffed when the red-light rear screen option was back-migrated to the K-3II, but not the K-3, but what the hay. I bought the camera knowing that it had no such feature, so I held my tongue. That being said, I do feel for those whose enjoyment of their purchase is dampened by lack of anticipated performance or absence of a doable and potentially useful feature. It would be nice if the improved AF from the K-1II would be migrated to the K-1 and any other models where it might be possible, AF performance being what it is on Pentax. It would also be nice to see mechanical SR for video come back. Whether that is possible as a firmware feature is hard to say, but even as a hardware feature on a new product, it would be very nice to have.

The short story is that even though it is unlikely that Ricoh/Pentax will do what one wants them to do and even less likely that they will do so promptly via a firmware update, there is no real problem with hoping for that update or expressing disappointment when the feature isn't there.

I will try and remember that on future threads of this sort and not suggest that people buy a Fuji

Steve
06-11-2018, 01:38 AM   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I see, seems I'm in the minority here and vast majority doesn't want updates. Noted
I don't think you're in the minority. I doubt there's a single Pentax owner who wouldn't like more firmware updates with a range of new features for every single current, recently discontinued and legacy camera model. I know I would.

My original observation in this thread was based only on what I think Ricoh will do so far as any further K-1 updates are concerned - not what they could, or what I think they should, do.

I'm one of those folks who buys a camera based purely on what it can do at the time of purchase. Aside from bug fixes, I have zero expectation of improvements to the product once I've paid for it. If firmware updates appear with new features (such as KAF4 lens compatibility), I consider them unexpected and nice bonuses, and I'll usually install them. If they don't, I'm never disappointed.

As I said in my earlier post, Ricoh has to differentiate between the K-1 and the K-1II (or paid-hardware-upgrade K-1). Some of that differentiation is clearly hardware-driven, but other features and/or performance improvements may well be firmware-only. But if those firmware updates are released to K-1 owners, there's less incentive for them to pay for the board upgrade, or buy a K-1II. So I completely understand if Ricoh doesn't choose to offer anything beyond bug fixes and compatibility updates for the K-1 (especially this far into its life).
06-11-2018, 01:58 AM   #34

You could always try to load the K-1II firmware on your K-1. However don't blame me if there are any unintended consequences (bricking)

06-11-2018, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My guess is that there will be more firmware updates for the K-1, but that they will not include any improvements to auto focus or the addition of dynamic pixel shift. My guess would be that as they add the DFA lenses to the line up that they will add lens profiles for those and those will be included in firmware updates.

I do think it is a bit disappointing that they aren't going to do mechanical stabilization with video and/or add focus peaking with video. It feels like those would be relatively simple additions (they work during live view after all) and Pentax could just add a warning pop up that using mechanical SR during video recording can shorten battery life and add extraneous sounds. Regardless, that doesn't seem to be in the cards now.
06-11-2018, 03:06 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Pentax isn’t really known for supporting older hardware with new features.
There is an exception - in retrofit, they've equipped several older cameras with support for the KAF4 protocol (to be abled to use the 55-300 PLM lens with electrically controlled aperture). That goes as far back as the K-3.
K-3 firmware update: KAF4 mount support - PentaxForums.com
06-11-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm one of those folks who buys a camera based purely on what it can do at the time of purchase. Aside from bug fixes, I have zero expectation of improvements to the product once I've paid for it. If firmware updates appear with new features (such as KAF4 lens compatibility), I consider them unexpected and nice bonuses, and I'll usually install them. If they don't, I'm never disappointed.
+1.
The alternative being to hope for things that weren't even promised. Good luck with that!

By the way:
" Do you have any plan to close the Firmware Update Service for K-1 when the K-I Mark II is released ?"
"No, we will keep continue the service."
PENTAX K-1 Mark II | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING

06-11-2018, 05:14 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has an impressive history of providing firmware updates for older models, when possible and appropriate. What possible reason is there for thinking that will end now?

There are a few things that the the K-1 will never be able to do without a hardware upgrade. Oh, hang on - Ricoh is providing that too! Admittedly it will cost you money, but it shows greater customer loyalty than most brands.
06-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry for being a curmudgeonly grump.

I guess I just don't understand the tradition on this site of firmware update angst. I mean that honestly and not as grumpy sarcasm. It is super cool when performance improvements or new features are passed to us as firmware updates. It is also very cool when problems are characterized and fixed and the patch pushed in a timely manner. My experience as a Pentax dSLR owner over the last decade or so is that Pentax, Hoya, and now Ricoh have been responsive and appropriate in both regards. I will admit, though, that I have only installed three firmware updates on my K-3 since I bought it in Spring of 2014, despite several those updates having new and valuable features. I am really not that into updates.

I will also admit to being a little miffed when the red-light rear screen option was back-migrated to the K-3II, but not the K-3, but what the hay. I bought the camera knowing that it had no such feature, so I held my tongue. That being said, I do feel for those whose enjoyment of their purchase is dampened by lack of anticipated performance or absence of a doable and potentially useful feature. It would be nice if the improved AF from the K-1II would be migrated to the K-1 and any other models where it might be possible, AF performance being what it is on Pentax. It would also be nice to see mechanical SR for video come back. Whether that is possible as a firmware feature is hard to say, but even as a hardware feature on a new product, it would be very nice to have.

The short story is that even though it is unlikely that Ricoh/Pentax will do what one wants them to do and even less likely that they will do so promptly via a firmware update, there is no real problem with hoping for that update or expressing disappointment when the feature isn't there.

I will try and remember that on future threads of this sort and not suggest that people buy a Fuji

Steve
It's fine, everyone has an opinion I was mostly curious about the news/rumours about the fw. Would be great to have them sometime down the line

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 09:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guess is that there will be more firmware updates for the K-1, but that they will not include any improvements to auto focus or the addition of dynamic pixel shift. My guess would be that as they add the DFA lenses to the line up that they will add lens profiles for those and those will be included in firmware updates.

I do think it is a bit disappointing that they aren't going to do mechanical stabilization with video and/or add focus peaking with video. It feels like those would be relatively simple additions (they work during live view after all) and Pentax could just add a warning pop up that using mechanical SR during video recording can shorten battery life and add extraneous sounds. Regardless, that doesn't seem to be in the cards now.
Seems you're right, from reading the thread at least (multiple people suggesting the same). I guess we'll see

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 09:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You could always try to load the K-1II firmware on your K-1. However don't blame me if there are any unintended consequences (bricking)
If you're willing to provide a subject for an experiment?
06-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #40

If you're willing to provide a subject for an experiment?
Sure, I'll send you a copy of the K-1II firmware renamed to the K-1 file :P
06-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sure, I'll send you a copy of the K-1II firmware renamed to the K-1 file :P
I'll stick with using my k-1 as a paddle less risk