Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone know if K-1 will get any more firmware updates?

As title suggests, curious if K-1 will get more updates, or that's pretty much it for this model, and focus is shifted to K-1 II?

We haven't received any updates in a while, I was kind of hoping some of that K-1 II af improvement would come our way via firmware

06-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect no one who is free to post here knows the answer to your question.
06-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I would expect the usual updates to accommodate new lenses,
and of course to "improve stability for general performance."
06-10-2018, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whilst I have no inside information, I suspect that any K-1II-related improvements will only be available by upgrading the K-1 to a "II" via the new board.

I can't see any commercial sense for Ricoh / Pentax to bring the original K-1 even closer to the K-1II in capabilities without owners paying for that official upgrade. There have to be compelling reasons to buy a K-1II, or to have the K-1 upgraded. They need to make the new model desirable for it to be profitable.

If there are stability issues with the K-1, or support for new lenses required, it may be that there'll be a future update to address those... but seeing as the camera is now two years old, I doubt there'll be anything more than that coming.

06-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I would expect the usual updates to accommodate new lenses,
and of course to "improve stability for general performance."
Me too, but nothing else unless "potentially helping sales" of other devices.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 06-10-2018 at 10:33 AM.
06-10-2018, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I would only expect additional updates for fixes and/or release of new lenses, flash, or other accessories that require firmware support.

It is at this point that I will anticipate the inevitable and add that someone will most certainly post something about certain mirrorless camera makers issuing firmware releases with wonderful new features on a regular basis and that should be a a reasonable business model for Ricoh. The standard answer will follow that Ricoh seldom adds features on a firmware release unless they are product-linked.

Steve
06-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Welp, too bad. I guess that mechanical video stabilization is not coming, neither does a whole list of small tweaks that came from the poll that was going around here.
06-10-2018, 10:45 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Does anyone know if K-1 will get any more firmware updates?
I'm pleased to report mine are working away just fine as is.

06-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Welp, too bad. I guess that mechanical video stabilization is not coming, neither does a whole list of small tweaks that came from the poll that was going around here.
Both would be a reasonable conclusions. FWIW, Ricoh does not monitor this site and pleas for features expressed in the forums may or may not reach their ears (probably never). A single exception would be posts to the Product Suggestions and Feedback forum. The suggestions posted there are compiled by forum staff and sent on to Ricoh through some sort of secret back channel.

Steve
06-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using firmware version 1.43, so far so good, it is stable. Mechanical sensor stabilization the Pentax K5 series had it but it added some noise to the sound of the video recording and it also drained battery power, so, for those two valid reasons Ricoh replaced the mechanical stabilization by software, which is just fine.
06-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both would be a reasonable conclusions. FWIW, Ricoh does not monitor this site and pleas for features expressed in the forums may or may not reach their ears (probably never). A single exception would be posts to the Product Suggestions and Feedback forum. The suggestions posted there are compiled by forum staff and sent on to Ricoh through some sort of secret back channel.

Steve
Are we sure? At one time a person was claiming to be the social media point person for them and came in to the forum but I think quickly retreated overwhelmed. Perhaps they came back in stealth mode.
06-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are we sure? At one time a person was claiming to be the social media point person for them and came in to the forum
I remember that. The representative simply disappeared after a few weeks.

Steve
06-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #13

Ricoh apologized in one of the interviews that they were unable to do the video stabilization.
06-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are we sure? At one time a person was claiming to be the social media point person for them and came in to the forum but I think quickly retreated overwhelmed. Perhaps they came back in stealth mode.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I remember that. The representative simply disappeared after a few weeks.
Adam's last post on that subject was HERE...
06-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax isn’t really known for supporting older hardware with new features.

The likes of Fuji have made a name for this, and it really does install confidence thay they’re looking out for you, well beyond that initial sale period when they iron out the firmware bugs.