Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Seems to me that maybe the shutter release button malfunctioned. Having to push it further to get the camera to wake up may be the clue.

I have a rule of thumb. It has worked for decades at preventing camera failures at inopportune times. I always have a backup camera available when photographing one of a kind happenings. If I don't have the backup camera then my primary camera will fail, If I do have a backup, then the primary unit always works great. It's like some kind of universal law.
Yes, I have the same feeling about the shutter release.
And I do agree with the backup camera universal law. I used to have a K-5 as a backup camera while using K-3, and never had any issue then... I had to sell both to buy the K-1 II
I'll look into getting a new backup

QuoteQuote:
EXIF is usually a mine of information. Curious to hear what you find in there.
I have not found anything in the exif, but I might have missed something.
I attached the exif output, in case anyone wants to have a look.

Attached Files
File Type: txt lefanch.txt (35.4 KB, 92 views)
06-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like just bad luck. The MkII is pretty much the same camera as the Mk1, which by most accounts has been a pretty reliable camera. Mine certainly has been.

Glad to hear Amazon took care of you. While Amazon as a corporate entity may have it's issues, their customer service is for the most part very good.
06-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
27°C temp, which is ok, batteries were good too, lens was identified correctly, GPS was working... nothing fishy overall.
06-12-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeFanch Quote
I attached the exif output, in case anyone wants to have a look.
All looks totally normal.

What aeroplane was the subject of the shot, btw? The data from the metering sensor doesn't have sufficient resolution to let me tell the model.

Last edited by rawr; 06-12-2018 at 08:50 PM.
06-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

What aeroplane was the subject of the shot, btw? The data from the metering sensor doesn't have sufficient resolution to let me tell the model.
You're right, the resolution is kind of low. It was a Douglas DC-3, easier to identify on this crop (I plan on posting better pictures soon, I need a bit more time)

Thanks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
06-14-2018, 12:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

That's a pretty neat trick you have there... a distance map with MS Excel?
06-14-2018, 04:59 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
a distance map with MS Excel?
I'm not sure what a distance map is. All that I did was simply read the metering sensor data, format it into 3 45x30 blocks to reflect the RGB readings of the 86k metering chip captured serially in the EXIF , and then apply conditional formatting in Excel over the data.

The initial tests confirmed that you could get useful results from this:

K- 1 crude test image:

Colour readings were assessed against a colour chart:

A detailed K-1 image produced surprisingly detailed results from the metering sensor:

And since the 645Z uses the same 86k metering chip as the K-3/K-1/KP, the technique works against the 645Z too, plotting the image very nicely:

---------- Post added 2018-06-14 at 10:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeFanch Quote
You're right, the resolution is kind of low.
Aha. But it got the general shape and colour boundaries. Also that the plane seemed to be descending.

Last edited by rawr; 06-16-2018 at 01:19 AM. Reason: typo
06-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what a distance map is. All that I did was simply read the metering sensor data, format it into 3 45x30 blocks to reflect the RGB readings of the 86k metering chip, and then apply conditional formatting in Excel over the data.
Ah that's the metering sensor, now I get it... thought it was the distances... but in fact it couldn't possibly make any sense, short of a CDAF having a sweep across the whole range...
06-14-2018, 05:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Ah that's the metering sensor, now I get it.
Perhaps not surprisingly, the RGB metering chip reads WAY more data than the AF assembly does.

Pentax 86k RGB metering chip:

Using this chip, even face detection /skin tone detection should be doable (I think) when linked with the camera PDAF. Pity it isn't.

Last edited by rawr; 06-16-2018 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added metering sensor chip image
06-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't they claim when they introduced the 86k chip that it would help improve autofocus?
06-14-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Didn't they claim when they introduced the 86k chip that it would help improve autofocus?
Yes, it they started to indicate with the K-3, and then K-1 etc, that that the 86k metering chip is able to work with the AF system.

I believe it does, or potentially does, particularly with tracking.

But generally I always felt Ricoh were under-employing (or under-selling) the metering chip. Nikon used to claim improvements in their AF based on their old 1024 pixel metering sensor, including skin tone detection, so I always expected the Ricoh 86k chip to be capable of making a significant contribution to the way the camera works.

There is some confusion about whether the capabilities indicated in the diagram above, including 'deep learning', are only turned on when the camera is in green mode, or are available in all shooting modes (P/A/S etc). I'm not sure about this myself.
06-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

All that I did was simply read the metering sensor data, format it into 3 45x30 blocks to reflect the RGB readings of the 86k metering chip captured serially in the EXIF , and then apply conditional formatting in Excel over the data.
Nice work, and very interesting! Something else for me to play with!!
06-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nice work, and very interesting! Something else for me to play with!!
Very interesting indeed!
06-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd like to see more of this kind of art.
06-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

A power-down was what I had expected if «the battery in the body was about half-full.» The indicator is not linear. Obviously, you put in a fresh battery and the issue continued?